Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Southgate's tactics have arguably got us to the final but how any manager can sit and watch 70 minutes of italian domination and not chgange it is totally beyond me - crying out for saka to come on as iti's pushed onto us - u have to pose a threat on the break or u t just waiting to concede - so frustrating  
  • iainment said:
    I haven't been impressed with the team all tournament. Apart from the Ukrainian match we've flattered to deceive. Far too negative - basically 1 striker & 2 supporting players and the rest defensive players. Like watching Charlton there was far too much backwards & sideways passing. 

Is negativity/caution part of your working life that has spilled over into how you see football?
    Not at all. I just like to see open & attacking football. Not mindless passing around the back that inevitably leads to the goalkeeper hoofing it upfield. 
    Bet you hated the Italian teams of old then - Or the Portuguese team that won Euro 2016?
    And don't mention the German teams of the 70's and 90's
  • edited July 2021
    PWR.

Very poor decision by GS to give pen kicks to the 3 youngsters , esp the 2 that had barely had time to acclimatise. 

Hope he learns from this bitter experience. 
    Acclimatise? They only had to take a penalty at Wembley not the himalayas 😀.they stepped up and others hid.
    You make it sound easy. Southgate picked the takers so it is unfair to say players hid. Somebody has to lose. It is frustrating that we missed 3 out of 5 although Pickford was brilliant I thought. His second save was as good a penalty save as you will see. if your keeper saves 2 out of 5, he has more than done his job.
  • DRAddick said:
    Southbank said:
    DRAddick said:
    Southbank said:
    Mancini's subs changed the game, Southgate's did not. So much for tactical nous. Italy were the better team and we allowed them to play their game by keeping our attacking players on the bench until it was too late. But Mourinho/Southgate will soldier on I am sure.
    A quick check shows you've been quiet recently on England and then suddenly post after we lose... funny that.
    Because I don't like Southgate's defensive approach to the game when we have so much attacking talent on the bench. We fluked the win against Denmark and sat back when ahead against Italy. I like winning, but you don't win trophies without taking chances. Southgate does not have that in his locker,. Maybe this will change him, maybe not.
    You mean because you didn't have the bollocks to say anything when we were winning, but couldn't wait to start publicly masturbating when we lost? 
    I don't spend my whole life on this forum, but believe me I have been consistent throughout. I don't like Southgate's management style or Mourinho's, who he is like. Maybe you do and you don't care we have 8 defensive players on the pitch.
    I do
  • The players don't deserve any criticism for the penalties. They shouldn't have been put in that position with only 2 touches on the ball during the game. And such a young player to take such a pressured penalty. 
    You come out with some crackers, this is your best yet.
    A pen is a pen, you really should not need match fitness to take a pen. 
  • edited July 2021
    Since when is Rashford a youngster? Sancho and Saka are first team players at club level.

Let's not over egg the omelette.

Sure the pressure got to them, but it was fantastic the Manager felt he could rely on them.
  • I think the worst part for me is this was a Euro final at Wembley. We had 80% off the crowd. Home advantage and it still wasn’t enough. 

When will we put it to bed? 

I worry that it won’t be in my lifetime.
  • The players don't deserve any criticism for the penalties. They shouldn't have been put in that position with only 2 touches on the ball during the game. And such a young player to take such a pressured penalty. 
    You think rashford would have sliced his penalty if he'd actually touched the ball more than once in the game? 

There's a reason subs take 5-10 mins to get into the game. 
  • iainment said:
    So no fucking Bank Holiday then.
    North of the border.
    Fuck they will be having parties tonight 
  • Sponsored links:

• It could be next year. I would like to see a more positive manager have a go, but I can't see how that can happen unless Southgate steps down. Ultimately, he has achieved what no other English manager has achieved in 55 years. 
    You think rashford would have sliced his penalty if he'd actually touched the ball more than once in the game? 

It was pointed out by Shearer that Rashford looked up at the keeper just as he struck it. It was a mis-kick nothing to do with how long he'd played. Simply nerves.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The players don't deserve any criticism for the penalties. They shouldn't have been put in that position with only 2 touches on the ball during the game. And such a young player to take such a pressured penalty. 

It was pointed out by Shearer that Rashford looked up at the keeper just as he struck it. It was a mis-kick nothing to do with how long he'd played. Simply nerves.
    The downside with that type of penalty is you don't give yourself time. It is why they are taken by the players with the most ability. Rashford did beat the keeper but for whatever reason, skill or pressure, he didn't execute the kick with the lack of time to find the other side of the goal.
  • Some good omens both Portugal and France both lost euro finals at home and eventually put that right. For Qatar we need to be a bit more positive going forward. In extra time we looked the more dangerous why we didn't do that in normal time. So frustrating 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The players don't deserve any criticism for the penalties. They shouldn't have been put in that position with only 2 touches on the ball during the game. And such a young player to take such a pressured penalty. 

I dont even think Rashford looked down at the ball. Looked like he had his eyes on the keeper the whole time.
  • Laddick01 said:
    I think the worst part for me is this was a Euro final at Wembley. We had 80% off the crowd. Home advantage and it still wasn’t enough. 

When will we put it to bed? 

I worry that it won’t be in my lifetime.
    The good thing is that this is 2 tournaments now where we've been close.  Keep getting deep into tournaments and you'll win one, you'll get that bit of luck etc.
    Probably the final post for me tonight. We lacked a little bit of luck tonight but we’ve still had a lot throughout the tournament .

I think we will be one of those sides that’s always top 3/4 in terms of talent but never quite had enough. It’s a sad day. Watching us play defense for 45 mins in the game of our life genuinely hurt me.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    FFS we lost on pens.They weren’t great for sure, but let’s dig the takers out. All of us on here could have taken a better one right?
    I took three competitive penalties in my footy prime (24/25) 

Two were almost identical location to Sancho/Saka third bounced off the post and in off the keepers head. Big difference - No silly run up.
    Yes because Sunday Morning at Goals is in anyway comparable to Wembley for a European championship final. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I will never understand how Sterling was not ahead of Sancho.
  • edited July 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    I will never understand how Sterling was not ahead of Sancho.
    Has barely taken a penalty in his career

Sancho on the other hand has come off the back of a strong season in the Bundesliga and arguably should have played more
  • Laddick01 said:
    Sancho has an excellent penalty record and Sterling doesn’t.
  • Out of curiosity... If Rashford missed because he wasn't on for long enough

Did Mbappe miss because he was on the pitch for too long? 
    Its a percentages game. 

Rashford coming on for 2 mins tops lowers the chance of him scoring. 

I guarantee no one that watched Rashford during that walk up and penalty stance thought he was scoring. He stood there for so long after the ref blew the whistle before he took it. 
  • I assume with a keeper of old dino-ramas size, the best way of scoring your pen is hitting it as hard as possible. You go with a softly placed pen and he goes the right way, he is saving it all day long.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Pressure and experience cannot be understated 
  • Italy were bang average, but we shrunk into our shell and let them run the game for too long. I'll sober up and calm down tomorrow, but those 3 penalties were all awful. Just put your foot through it. 
  • Out of curiosity... If Rashford missed because he wasn't on for long enough

Did Mbappe miss because he was on the pitch for too long? 
    People can miss for all sorts of reasons. It is the nature of penalties. What frustrates me the most is that we have a great penalty keeper. We are not talking about a Shilton who was too old or a Hart who was so hyped up he dived before the takers touched the ball. But it isn't about blame, it is just what might have been. Although I would like us take a more scientific approach to the art of shoot outs for the World Cup.  
  • Laddick01 said:
    For the millionth time, because he’s shit at them. He’s taken 5 penalties in his career and missed 3. City can’t buy a penalty goal and he still doesn’t get near them. Sancho has scored 10 pens in his career and missed 1. 
  • edited July 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Pressure and experience cannot be understated 
    I don’t think that really counts for much. If you’re good at penalties, you’re good at penalties. Just because your pen wasn’t saved doesn’t mean the pressure moment got to you. Sometimes the keeper just guesses the right way and it’s unlucky.

Besides, there is an argument to be made about the vibrancy of youth and the fact that Saka has been fearless all tournament. So why not lean into that?