Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    Perhaps we were lucky to be in the final.

Perhaps we were lucky it went to ET.

Perhaps we were lucky it went to pens.

Perhaps we have the basis of a fantastic England team that will be on the up from this.

Come on England!
    Still don't believe Southgate is the person t push us on....so much talent on the bench and he brought on Henderson who was woeful....and letting a 19 year old take the 5th penalty in the shootout....could destroy the boys career. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I will never understand how Sterling was not ahead of Sancho.
    For the millionth time, because he’s shit at them. He’s taken 5 penalties in his career and missed 3. City can’t buy a penalty goal and he still doesn’t get near them. Sancho has scored 10 pens in his career and missed 1. 
    Yet I doubt he could’ve take. A worse pen than Sancho.
    Great. So just get that time machine that tells you that Sancho is going to take a bad pen and we’re all sorted then. You pick the best penalty takers and hope they score, unless you are literally a wizard who can see the future. 
    Love Sancho. Quality player.

I can’t emphasise how hard it was for him tonight. He’s been on for 2 minutes. Barely touched the ball. How is he expected to take a good pen? He’s coming in Cold. 

I think it’s a poor selection. Sancho could’ve been on 20 mins earlier and it might’ve helped.
    What, like Saka was? Why did he miss his then, he was all warmed up. Trying to find someone to blame when you don’t get what you want is childish. It was bad luck and it’s a shame 
    How many pens has Saka taken in his career? 

It’s so hard for a player to come on and strike a pen clean. Confidence comes with game time. 

In all honesty if I was Sancho I’d be nervous as fuck. My manager has played me for 70 mins all tournament and now wants me to put away a pen in the final after no warm up.  That’s a hard spot. 

Love the team, hate the way we decided it. Let the players that have seen. Lot of the ball take the pens 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm going to put 1-1 on my Euro's wall chart with no mention of pens at all.  Italy v England draw, trophy shared. 

How can I shut my eyes when I see Rashford, Sancho and Saka making such feeble efforts. 

Feel sorry for the 55 and overs who may have lost their last chance of success.

• Options
    Im honestly not sleeping tonight. Putting a 19 year old that’s never taken a penalty 5th in the lineup Is criminal.

You think the guy that missed such a crucial penalty himself would
    realise that.
  • Options
    I'm going to put 1-1 on my Euro's wall chart with no mention of pens at all.  Italy v England draw, trophy shared. 

How can I shut my eyes when I see Rashford, Sancho and Saka making such feeble efforts. 

Ah but we have had ours in '66 something you may never see !
  • Options
    I’m adamant that the better team didn’t win. We let them win.
    100%
  • Options
    At 40 years old I am aware this could have been my snatch at seeing an England team win something. Alas Southgate isn't to blame, that poxy experienced Italian manager and the weird tactical advantage going a goal behind gives you is to blame. 

I'd rather we hadn't sat back so much but, but a key strength of this side is playing on the break. Our problem was we didn't move the ball quick enough in the second half when we could have broken. Not just that, playing on the break against any Italian side is a thankless task let alone against an Italian side that also adore playing a high press pretty successfully 

Anyway how good was Maguires penalty? What resilience from a human being. The guy has put up with all the media bullshit thrown his way time and time again and shown incredible emotional intelligence to not beat a "journalist" to death with his boots 
  • Options

Er, the 55s and over were about when we won the World Cup. It doesn’t get better than that kiddo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fuck sake 
  • Options
    Gutted 
  • Options

• Options
    I mean fuck the football
    Before the game as the players had a stroll and were  leaving the pitch Grealish grabbed SCP and pointed up to not far away where we had our Charlton flag and I did a bit of worshipping of the Charlton god .
    he then pointed to another Charlton flag over the other side . I love SCP 
    Scenes for the goal 
    refused to celebrate any penalty too madly cos never felt comfortable with us , especially when he brought the penalty takers on (proper miserable Cnut I am) …
    still that’s the Europa Cup/ League Cup/Euros tinpot rather than the real deal Champions League/FA Cup World Cup 

• Options
    I'm just so sorry. What a gutting way to lose. But so much to be proud of and so much to look forward to next winter. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Best penalties: Bonucci (99%) and Maguire (98%)

Worst penalties: Bernadeschi (59%) and Saka (60%)

Sancho’s penalty had a better probability of going in than Kane’s one (76% vs 75%).

Expected penalty score: Italy 3.8 - 3.1 England
  • Options

Best penalties: Bonucci (99%) and Maguire (98%)

Worst penalties: Bernadeschi (59%) and Saka (60%)

Sancho’s penalty had a better probability of going in than Kane’s one (76% vs 75%).

Expected penalty score: Italy 3.8 - 3.1 England
    Don't give a monkey's about 'Stats'. Kane's penalty was perfect. No way was that getting saved.
    Sancho's was saved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solid post @Chunes
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Italy lack a Kane like Striker but they played with a high line and passed superbly. Was there an opportunity to try to get behind them more? I think there was, but you can also see why we may have backed ourselves to hold out. In all honesty, Southgate was not going to change his approach and we came close. None of us will remember us going that close before.

I am all for making Southgate a sir, but I have to admit, I wouldn't be upset if somebody else, a more front foot manager, was in charge for Qatar.
  • Options
    Hard to criticise Southgate whose caution steered us into the final. 

I wish though in the second half when we were being outgunned he'd have thrown that caution to the wind.  Every time we lost the ball we slipped back into zonal areas and allowed them to set up again, if we ventured into their half, they were on us and stopped us by fair means or foul, whichever it took.  We had flair players on the bench, I'd love to have seen them given a chance.  If it didn't work, fair enough at least we'd have died with our boots on.  Grinding out the second half and extra time to the lottery of penalties is just so ... oh I dunno, English.    
    Grinding out the game for the lottery of penalties sounds like exactly what Italy did against Spain.

Was a very unlucky goal to concede and who knows how things would have turned out with a ref willing to make a big decision. 

Not slept for over 30 hours and have a 1,200 mile journey home, but, you know what, it was worth it. 
  • Options
    We’re not Positive enough, we’ll go on getting bad results, oh Jimmy Hill, why did you say those words, I can’t get them out of my head!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Surprised he’s not got Saka’s shirt!