Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Lots of noise where I was watching it but did the ref really play England's advantage when we should have had a free kick on the edge of the penalty area with Trippier on the pitch and no real advantage on?  Then let Italy stamp on Grealish and pull Saka's shirt by the neck or am I wrong?
    Wasn’t the worst ref but definitely let both sides get away with a bit.

Italy knew how to play a lenient referee very well.
  • Why did he take Rice off?
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Chiesa didn't even start as first choice for Italy at the beginning but was given the chance to show what he could do off the bench.   Our manager didn't give anybody (well maybe Grealish vs Germany) a chance to make a lasting impression off the bench.    I think the occassion was just too much for Saka last night - it may have been different if he'd started.

Mount was anonymous since coming back from isolation.   A shame because I really rate him, but where does he actually fit into 3-5-2 - he doesn't and putting a square peg in a round hole when Grealish, Sancho or Saka could play out wide right/left is a mistake.

I'll take runners up because this team has so much potential, but we need to be a little more positive when in the lead ,against the big boys.    We can take them on toe to toe - Maguire, Stones, Shaw and Walker were not our weaknesses this tournament so now Gareth needs to go for it more.
    Mount was excellent yesterday. His role was to pick up Jorginho and stop him playing, and drop off to provide additional defensive support when Italy tried to get the ball wide. He was absolutely everywhere out of possession and a big part of why Italy didn't build up more of a head of steam throughout the match. When he got the ball he kept play moving forward and carved out a great chance towards the end that Saka couldn't manage to convert. It was the right choice to start with Mount, though I agree that Saka looked a bit overawed all night, Might have been better to bring Sancho on there, but that's the power of hindsight.
    Not sure it's fair to criticise Southgate for not giving subs a chance to impress given we didn't concede until the semi-final. Why change the team if you've just beaten everyone you've come up against? Saka had exactly the same experience as Chiesa in fact; put in in the team in the third group game and then moved to the front of the queue when the team needed pace.
    We can agree to disagree but Mount wasn't everywhere last night and it didn't work him playing wide.   His touch was off and he didn't offer enough from a wide man in a front 3.
    Compared to what our wide players have offered in every game except the Scotland game.    Moving Sterling about lost his effectiveness, so sorry, I can't agree.

Yeah, he was. He popped up all over the pitch when Italy had the ball and to great effect. He wasn't there to play as a wide man in a front three in a traditional sense and he did what he was there to do very well. Some people unfortunately just don't get what Mount brings to the team, but the kind of hard-working performances he puts in chasing from the front are part of what got us to the final, even if they don't catch the eye.
    So you must be right?   Of course, silly me.   You say so, so it is true.  That's why Mount was subbed not because he was ineffective and didn't do what we needed of him as a wide man in a front 3?   I hope Gareth takes you to Qatar, because you obviously are more qualified than me or thousands of other England fans.  :-)
    Er, he played for 99 minutes before being subbed to make an attacking change. I think if he hadn't been doing his job he wouldn't have lasted into extra time. I don't need to be on the coaching staff to be able to understand what I'm seeing in front of me. The job Mount was being asked to do was pretty clear, and he did it. It wasn't exciting but he carried it out and then got taken off for a change in strategy towards the end. Which is probably a shame because Grealish didn't offer much and Mount would have taken a penalty.
    Can only assume he was knackered. Did see a couple of times where he looked like he was blowing. He was the best player on the pitch 1st half. Sadly his replacement had a bit of a stinker
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Chiesa didn't even start as first choice for Italy at the beginning but was given the chance to show what he could do off the bench.   Our manager didn't give anybody (well maybe Grealish vs Germany) a chance to make a lasting impression off the bench.    I think the occassion was just too much for Saka last night - it may have been different if he'd started.

Mount was anonymous since coming back from isolation.   A shame because I really rate him, but where does he actually fit into 3-5-2 - he doesn't and putting a square peg in a round hole when Grealish, Sancho or Saka could play out wide right/left is a mistake.

I'll take runners up because this team has so much potential, but we need to be a little more positive when in the lead ,against the big boys.    We can take them on toe to toe - Maguire, Stones, Shaw and Walker were not our weaknesses this tournament so now Gareth needs to go for it more.
    Mount was excellent yesterday. His role was to pick up Jorginho and stop him playing, and drop off to provide additional defensive support when Italy tried to get the ball wide. He was absolutely everywhere out of possession and a big part of why Italy didn't build up more of a head of steam throughout the match. When he got the ball he kept play moving forward and carved out a great chance towards the end that Saka couldn't manage to convert. It was the right choice to start with Mount, though I agree that Saka looked a bit overawed all night, Might have been better to bring Sancho on there, but that's the power of hindsight.
    Not sure it's fair to criticise Southgate for not giving subs a chance to impress given we didn't concede until the semi-final. Why change the team if you've just beaten everyone you've come up against? Saka had exactly the same experience as Chiesa in fact; put in in the team in the third group game and then moved to the front of the queue when the team needed pace.
    We can agree to disagree but Mount wasn't everywhere last night and it didn't work him playing wide.   His touch was off and he didn't offer enough from a wide man in a front 3.
    Compared to what our wide players have offered in every game except the Scotland game.    Moving Sterling about lost his effectiveness, so sorry, I can't agree.

Yeah, he was. He popped up all over the pitch when Italy had the ball and to great effect. He wasn't there to play as a wide man in a front three in a traditional sense and he did what he was there to do very well. Some people unfortunately just don't get what Mount brings to the team, but the kind of hard-working performances he puts in chasing from the front are part of what got us to the final, even if they don't catch the eye.
    So you must be right?   Of course, silly me.   You say so, so it is true.  That's why Mount was subbed not because he was ineffective and didn't do what we needed of him as a wide man in a front 3?   I hope Gareth takes you to Qatar, because you obviously are more qualified than me or thousands of other England fans.  :-)
    Er, he played for 99 minutes before being subbed to make an attacking change. I think if he hadn't been doing his job he wouldn't have lasted into extra time. I don't need to be on the coaching staff to be able to understand what I'm seeing in front of me. The job Mount was being asked to do was pretty clear, and he did it. It wasn't exciting but he carried it out and then got taken off for a change in strategy towards the end. Which is probably a shame because Grealish didn't offer much and Mount would have taken a penalty.
    So now you even know who were the official England penalty takers.   Jesus, you are on the coaching staff already.   Congratulations!    However, I agree with @Chunes.   He is on the pitch to be an attacking threat - which he didn't do enough of - I like him, but he is playing in the wrong position if we go 3-5-2.
  • First the negatives. Shit performance in a shit game followed by shit pens. Only surprise is that it finished 1-1 not 0-0. SE Trains and LU contrived to feck up the big day in London.

Positives. As a Charlton fan we expect sweet FA from the players so just went to have fun. Good piss up at LB, long chat on the tube with some great Bolton lads who had just come down for the atmosphere. Joined in a few mosh pits on Wembley way, didn’t see any aggro like some. Atmosphere in the upper tier bar was the best part of the day. Just loads of blokes like me and you pissed, singing and dancing. Good chatting to some Rotherham fans. We were up in the gods so couldn’t see much, but sang from start to finish. Arsenal fan I stood next to me on Wednesday was just two seats in front of me so it was great to meet up. Thought singing in the upper tier was better than the lower.

Brilliant day – didn’t let the result spoil it.

• I do think that if Foden was on the bench that game could’ve been different.

Mount stayed on because Southgate wasn’t comfortable putting anyone else in his role. 

I’m still baffled why he didn’t make some changes earlier though. Despite having the best bench at the tournament he mustn’t trust a lot of those players when it matters.

If we knew Sterling didn’t fancy a pen why didn’t we try Rashford RW for 10-15 minutes longer?

• In Penalty shoot outs players who have missed from memory:

Pearce and Waddle, experienced players.
    Southgate, young player
    Batty, had not taken a penalty since School in a competitive match.
    Ince, didn't like to take penalities and normally looked the other way.
    Beckham against Portugal
    Vassels I remember because it was a quiz question last year on Zoom !
    Lampard right man but...
    Gerard right man but.....
    Carragher wrong man.

Now added to that list is
    Rashford, Sancho and Saka.

Must be other names but there the ones I recall.

The commentators seemed to think he had a knock when he got kicked on the foot.   I hope so as I thought he was magnificent in the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

So now you even know who were the official England penalty takers.   Jesus, you are on the coaching staff already.   Congratulations!    However, I agree with @Chunes.   He is on the pitch to be an attacking threat - which he didn't do enough of - I like him, but he is playing in the wrong position if we go 3-5-2.
    I mean, Southgate said it after the game but sure, whatever. The thing you don't seem to be picking up on, which is hilariously ironic, is you're telling us what Mount was on the pitch to do. You don't decide that though, Southgate does, and Southgate put him there to nullify certain Italian threats while contributing to our forward play, which he did. Southgate had a choice between playing a more free attacking player and losing out on some solidity, or playing Mount and losing some attacking threat but being more defensively sound. You might not like the role Mount was asked to play but he did it well. I've just remembered that you're the person who told me I had 'shit in my eyes' when I said that playing Mount in the Nations League wasn't a ridiculous decision though so maybe it was my mistake to try and have a discussion with you about Mount. That's on me.
  • Sancho for Sterling was an obvious change throughout the second half and extra time. 

I assumed it wasn't made because Sterling was going to be a penalty taker...but guess not. So it's very puzzling why he wasn't changed. He was blowing for the whole second half and offered nothing after the first 30 minutes. 
  • Still can't get over that Henderson sub. Did Rice have a knock? We had no commentary in the pub. JH was so off the pace it was crazy. 

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

I mean, Southgate said it after the game but sure, whatever. The thing you don't seem to be picking up on, which is hilariously ironic, is you're telling us what Mount was on the pitch to do. You don't decide that though, Southgate does, and Southgate put him there to nullify certain Italian threats while contributing to our forward play, which he did. Southgate had a choice between playing a more free attacking player and losing out on some solidity, or playing Mount and losing some attacking threat but being more defensively sound. You might not like the role Mount was asked to play but he did it well. I've just remembered that you're the person who told me I had 'shit in my eyes' when I said that playing Mount in the Nations League wasn't a ridiculous decision though so maybe it was my mistake to try and have a discussion with you about Mount. That's on me.
    Dear Gary.   I've just said I like Mount - he has for sure, changed my opinion on that.  I believe that he's progressed into being an excellent central midfielder.   You may think he was on the pitch to nullify and not be an attacking threat - I would disagree and say that with an EXCELLENT back 4 or 5 - which has surprised most people this tournament (seeing as everybody thought we would be poor defensively), that we need more than 2 attacking players on the pitch.   One (Sterling) who had been our best attacking threat - and was moved out of position to accommodate Mount and Kane, who dropped deep very effectively for 25 minutes but over the whole game - 120 minutes, did not have one single touch in the opposition penalty area.

Therefore, and I believe (as does @Chunes) and other people, that Mount was played out of position and a more suitable player should have played wide to ensure our attacking threat was maximised better.

But you disagree.   It doesn't make you right though.   Play Mount in central midfield.   Don't play Mount as part of a front 3.   I'd have preferred a back 4, with three midfielders and Mount being the one that closed down Jorginho from the right position.

• Croydon said:

That’s mind blowing.
  • Lots of noise where I was watching it but did the ref really play England's advantage when we should have had a free kick on the edge of the penalty area with Trippier on the pitch and no real advantage on?  Then let Italy stamp on Grealish and pull Saka's shirt by the neck or am I wrong?
    That was a wrong decision, but you can sort of understand why he made it. Agree though that in that position, a free kick would have been miles better.
  • Yeah....the Pen takers is a weird one. I don't see how you can decide in advance who will be talking them based upon stats and data alone.

As has been said numerous times - you cannot replicate the pressure in those situations and you have to go with those who are confident enough at the time.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Croydon said:

That’s mind blowing.
    Grealish in front of Sancho or Saka all day long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chiesa was fantastic last night. Best player in the pitch by a long way.

We opted to play Mount wide instead. 

We don’t need to change too much for 2022 but we won’t win anything unless we can show a little more attacking intent.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Chiesa was fantastic last night. Best player in the pitch by a long way.

We don’t need to change too much for 2022 but we won’t win anything unless we can show a little more attacking intent.
    Be careful @Garrymanilow will tell you that was tactical genius....
  • edited July 2021
    Yeah....the Pen takers is a weird one. I don't see how you can decide in advance who will be talking them based upon stats and data alone.

As has been said numerous times - you cannot replicate the pressure in those situations and you have to go with those who are confident enough at the time.
    I agree but that isn't the mentality we have. I think for the next tournament, the manager should behind closed doors let the players work out a system and go and get a coffee with the rest of his coaches. I would say we need a new culture around a player should be brave enough not to take one rather than brave enough to take one and go with who fancies it at the time. 
  • supaclive said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Chiesa was fantastic last night. Best player in the pitch by a long way.

Be careful @Garrymanilow will tell you that was tactical genius....
    Stop being a wally 
  • On the Saka penalty, it was a curious decision, and not just in hindsight, that he was on the pressure 5th penalty, which is very often the crucial one, the glory or heartache penalty. 

Our order was very front loaded in terms of experience, starting with out main taker then going down the ages

Kane (27)
    Maguire (28)
    Rashford (23)
    Sancho (21)
    Saka (19)

Injury according to commentary

That was a wrong decision, but you can sort of understand why he made it. Agree though that in that position, a free kick would have been miles better.
    That "playing an advantage" was a wrong decision, but that happens. The Saka shirt pull was correctly a yellow, while the stamp on Grealish could have been a red, but would have been a very harsh one
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    robroy said:
    Left the pub straight after the game & the streets in the town centre were full of youngsters fighting & arguing with each other. Heard a couple of pubs got shut down during the game too. I just don't get it.

Some proper bellends about last night & an England defeat always seems to bring out the worst in these twats 
    Should have been a 3pm kick off, would have stopped a load of trouble 
    The Euros and World Cup Finals have always been at 8pm on a Sunday

Unfortunately a number of England fans (wont call them a large number as dont think they represent the majority of our fans) have proven their immaturity compared to when other Nations get to a Final
    The last World Cup in Russia was in the middle of the afternoon here
    The 2002 World Cup was on a Sunday morning here
    The 1992 European Championships was on a Friday night
    The 1988 European Championships was a Saturday afternoon
    The 1984 European Championships was a weekday night

But they kicked off at 8pm local time... the locals in those countries managed to behave themselves didnt they?
    It’s a cultural thing, don’t see Italian fans behaving like that, but then as a nation they aren’t pub dwelling coke heads.
  • I've only seen one but Pickford can take a good penalty.