Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

Watched it back a couple of times & I still don't understand why that's not a red card 
    Emerson one was questionable too. Watched Wales get 2 reds for softer tackles.
    It could have been deemed a red but I think the fact first contact was on the ball saved him. Calling for the Chiellini drag back on Saka to be a red is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Still completely gutted! Didn’t think I’d be this bad 🥺
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Watched it back a couple of times & I still don't understand why that's not a red card 
    And Chiellini's shirt pull/choke.
  • Options
    In Penalty shoot outs players who have missed from memory:

Pearce and Waddle, experienced players.
    Southgate, young player
    Batty, had not taken a penalty since School in a competitive match.
    Ince, didn't like to take penalities and normally looked the other way.
    Beckham against Portugal
    Vassels I remember because it was a quiz question last year on Zoom !
    Lampard right man but...
    Gerard right man but.....
    Carragher wrong man.

Now added to that list is
    Rashford, Sancho and Saka.

Must be other names but there the ones I recall.

Ashley Young & Ashley Cole v Italy, which I'd completely forgotten about until Ashley Cole mentioned it the other day on ITV.

Cole and Young missed in 2012 in the 0-0 game with Italy. 4-2 pens. (After therapy I had forgotten about the two Ashley misses)

There was a clever headline which could still be used today as this guy is the epitome of midfield excellence.

"Tears on my Pirlo as England lose on Penalities"

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Italy are a very good side. They were always going to dominate the ball and there is no shame in losing to them, especially on penalties. Southgate’s tactics were IMO spot on and but for an unlucky ricochet off the post at a set piece, we would’ve held on for a 1-0 win

Until we have box to box midfielders with the technical quality of Jorginho, Verratti et al, the game was always going to play out the way it did. Putting on a Grealish or a Foden (if he was fit) doesn’t magically flip the script like some seem to think.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Seen lots of people claiming Chiellini's shirt pull was a red card.  It was a strategic foul to stop Saka breaking away. It's not as if he was clean through on goal.  Only ever going to be a yellow card.

The Grealish 1 though, for me is a red card offence 
  • Options
    Well Muttley, your 50% Italian so you should be happy from the waist down.

As the rules stand,  when Saka had his collar felt it was a yellow But we are seeing so many blatant rugby type challenges that should get more than a yellow card. I agree he was only choked, and the smiling assassin wanted to help him back to his feet after Saka found his eyeballs that had popped out.

Trevor Kettle is ref and Italy have 9 men.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Seen lots of people claiming Chiellini's shirt pull was a red card.  It was a strategic foul to stop Saka breaking away. It's not as if he was clean through on goal.  Only ever going to be a yellow card.

Completely agree on Chiellini, and most I've seen saying they thought it was a red card are the more casual watchers I'd say - it was cynical, but it was only a yellow card, and Chiellini knew that.

The Jorginho one could easily have been a red card.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seen Dietmar Hamann on Twitter calling Italy a “toothless” side and criticising Southgate for a negative approach.

Is that the same toothless Italy that scored 7 goals without conceding in the group stage? The same Italy that ended up tournament joint top scorers alongside Spain?
  • Options
    Only four teams didn’t lose a game in the tournament: Italy, Spain, England and France.
  • Options
    Our media outlets pick and choose which aspects of the game to focus on. 

For example, Neville made another sarcy and negative dig at Pickford yesterday. It would have been easier for him to take had he messed up during the game or penalties. 

Nobody seems to have disected the weak defending from Stones and Mount for Italy's goal, or why Kane dropped so deep onto the line to keep them onside.
  • Options
    Only four teams didn’t lose a game in the tournament: Italy, Spain, England and France.

Welcome to CL Jose Mourinho.

(Chelsea v Cafc League cup !)
    Ha fair point. But I’m only pulling stats from the UEFA website which show a zero next to the losses column for all four of those nations.

Onviously we lost the shootout. But we didn’t lose a match in 90 mins, or even in 120 mins.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Donnarumma has saved 35% of the penalties he’s faced in his senior career to date.
  • Options
    Italy are a very good side. They were always going to dominate the ball and there is no shame in losing to them, especially on penalties. Southgate’s tactics were IMO spot on and but for an unlucky ricochet off the post at a set piece, we would’ve held on for a 1-0 win

Until we have box to box midfielders with the technical quality of Jorginho, Verratti et al, the game was always going to play out the way it did. Putting on a Grealish or a Foden (if he was fit) doesn’t magically flip the script like some seem to think.
    Hopefully bellingham! 
  • Options
    I have been thinking what I think it is going to take to get me feeling truly confident going into a major tournament that we can win it..... cos even after this it is always hope rather than expectation.

Totally different sport (and I am not as big a fan) but thinking back to the RWC that we won..... we just KNEW we had the best team in the world. No doubt, no discussion. Everyone accepted it. Like the best French and Spanish teams of recent times.

We need to get to that level frankly. We wont get the luck to do a Denmark '92 etc against the odds. We need to be comfortably the best side in the world to avoid the classic England heartbreak.

I am looking at the talent coming through and frankly just want to get what I feel is the best chance of that side on the pitch together ASAP and constantly playing match after match (likes of Walker and Trippier wont have long left to have a shot)

Pickford / Pope
    TAA
    Shaw
    Maguire
    Stones
    Rice
    Mount
    Foden
    Sterling
    Kane 
    Sancho / Grealish

• Options
    I think Qatar will be survival of the fittest, weird time of the year, conditions will be horrible for some games, and you'll see some weird results, so oddly I don't expect much, Germany 2024 has to be a target to win, Belgium will be gone as a force, Italy in a rebuild, Germany will have lot of home advantage but I don't think they've got a squad and France will be France. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    robroy said:
    Left the pub straight after the game & the streets in the town centre were full of youngsters fighting & arguing with each other. Heard a couple of pubs got shut down during the game too. I just don't get it.

Some proper bellends about last night & an England defeat always seems to bring out the worst in these twats 
    Should have been a 3pm kick off, would have stopped a load of trouble 
    The Euros and World Cup Finals have always been at 8pm on a Sunday

Unfortunately a number of England fans (wont call them a large number as dont think they represent the majority of our fans) have proven their immaturity compared to when other Nations get to a Final
    Sorry to be a pedant but the Euro 1988 final was actually a 15:30ko.  Van Basten scored in daylight.
    I make you right on all the others though (I think!)

I think 92 was a Friday tea time wasn't it? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    robroy said:
    Left the pub straight after the game & the streets in the town centre were full of youngsters fighting & arguing with each other. Heard a couple of pubs got shut down during the game too. I just don't get it.

Some proper bellends about last night & an England defeat always seems to bring out the worst in these twats 
    Should have been a 3pm kick off, would have stopped a load of trouble 
    The Euros and World Cup Finals have always been at 8pm on a Sunday

Unfortunately a number of England fans (wont call them a large number as dont think they represent the majority of our fans) have proven their immaturity compared to when other Nations get to a Final
    Sorry to be a pedant but the Euro 1988 final was actually a 15:30ko.  Van Basten scored in daylight.
    I make you right on all the others though (I think!)

I think 92 was a Friday tea time wasn't it? 
    Think it was early evening if I remember right 
  • Options
    I watched every game of the England U17 WC win with Foden the star midfielder pulling the strings. Phil may just have made a difference by being a penalty taker( if fit) ahead of Saka, we will never know.  His progress since has been brilliant compared to his peer group. Only Sancho has continued to progress at a fast rate  (Brewster has hit the wall )

Foden will be a main central figure for England in the next WC. The way England play at the moment he was only ever going to be peripheral.

Bellingham, Rice, Foden, Mount, Sancho, Grealish, Saka and not forgetting the fittest player in the England team Phillips we should continue to improve as they get more street wise in international football and contest those midfield places.

The future is bright, but an opportunity was missed but Southgate has a very good CV in international tournaments even if it is still a Spursy CV. (Sorry John boy)
  • Options

Can only really think of Scholes in my lifetime who has been that kind of player for England, we seem to either have decent defensive midfielders like Rice, or "final 3rd" types midfielders like Foden/Grealish (and Gerrard, Lampard etc).

We just don't seem to produce the Pirlo, Madrid, Kroos type midfielders, and I think it's the one big thing missing at the moment.

Imagine a player like that playing clever little balls into the likes of Sancho, Sterling, Foden etc.
  • Options
    Hearing Trippier in for Saka 
    penalties it is then 
    scarily accurate 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Completely agree on Chiellini, and most I've seen saying they thought it was a red card are the more casual watchers I'd say - it was cynical, but it was only a yellow card, and Chiellini knew that.

The Jorginho one could easily have been a red card.

It was cynical but Chiellini knew he couldn't be sent off it. He took the booking because of how late it was and he thought there was a risk, but there was cover. 
  • Options
    My main concern was for Saka as I thought he might get booked for not having his shirt on.

• Options
    For me we just scored too early. May have been different if they had scored in the first 2 mins and we had to attack for 88mins, drawing on the firepower from the bench. 

I don't think the best team won, was pretty even sided for me. All the players did us proud. Shaw, rice, phillips, mags all stand out for me. 

• Options

Can only really think of Scholes in my lifetime who has been that kind of player for England, we seem to either have decent defensive midfielders like Rice, or "final 3rd" types midfielders like Foden/Grealish (and Gerrard, Lampard etc).

We just don't seem to produce the Pirlo, Madrid, Kroos type midfielders, and I think it's the one big thing missing at the moment.

Imagine a player like that playing clever little balls into the likes of Sancho, Sterling, Foden etc.

It all comes down to style of play and coaching. Pretty sure Foden and Grealish have the ability to play central midfield but it would require the team set up to support keeping the ball rather than just defending and Southgate just isn't capable enough to make it happen.