Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    Anyone going to the Open between 14th and 18th may need to make a reservation for High Speed services if travelling down in the mornings.

https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/destinations-and-offers/the-open
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    I'm going Sunday, never been a Golf tournament before. 
    Snap. I really don't know what the best tactic is in terms of spectating. Follow a group or plot up.
    did a bit of both when I went, followed a group in the morning and then plotted a bit more in the afternoon with a few beers
  • Options
    Me and my mates were talking about this last year but then came a bit quick, we've never done a golf tournament yet (generally do footy/ snooker). Last week hit the crossbar, several good runs in the scottish, i had jack senior smallball, westwood and fleetwood who both were steady Westwood tailed away on moving day. 

Rahm 6/1 is ridiculous price in such an elite field, i know he is the man to beat but no thank you stupid price. I'll have a look the next couple of days, i do quite like a bet after the first round too lately, although reduces the places on EW, worth it if you see a bit of value or longshot. 
  • Options
    Fancy Oosthuizen. Been knocking on the door all year now that he’s got his putting sorted out. and has a ridiculous number of second places in majors. Overdue a second major. As others have said, Rahm is the man to beat but stupid odds. Likewise McIlroy who is no odds at all despite being all over the place at the moment. Steer clear. Each way flutters on Fitzpatrick (may suit a steady Eddie) and Macintyre who you feel is about to make a breakthrough. Speith and Thomas also dangerous. May be a complete outsider. Who knows. Great to see the open back. 

Am I the only one who can’t get my head around the very strict covid protocols for players and fans alike for an event that’s effectively being held outdoors in a large field by the seaside when mass audiences are allowed unfettered at wimbers and Wembley?  Don’t get me wrong, I prefer some safeguards rather than a free for all but the inconsistencies are staggering. 
  • Options
    Right i've had a look and my list is: 
    Dustin Johnson 22
    Xander Schauffle 22
    Oosthuizen 33
    Conners 125
    Herbert 90
    Zalortoris 75
    Grace 55

original shortlist, was about 12/13. Cantlay, Fitzpatrick, S Scheffler, Detry, Lowry all half fancied but didn't quite make it
  • Options
    My  brother in law was a member at Royal Cinque Port and was offered a position of caddy for a player, 2 weeks after he had moved to Scotland. They won’t tell who, incase you get offered someone else (better) and you leave him. 
  • Options
    The groups and tee times have just been released...there are some great groupings here are a couple-:
    0925 Jordan Spieth, Bryson DeChambeau, Branden Grace

0958 Shane Lowry, Jon Rahm, Louis Oosthuizen

1020 Dustin Johnson, Will Zalatoris, Justin Rose

1459 Xander Schauffele, Robert MacIntyre, Rickie Fowler

1510 Justin Thomas, Tommy Fleetwood, Adam Scott

1521 Rory McIlroy, Patrick Reed, Cameron Smith

• Options
    Good to hear Rich Beam on Sky sports saying the course is set up really difficult, he thinks the 17th hole is the hardest on the planet!! Good that's the beauty of Links golf!
  • Options
    Smith & Reed is well funny after Camerons comments!
  • Options
    I'll be following Adam Scott. Literally anywhere he goes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Toilet? 🤣
  • Options
    Toilet? 🤣
    I only have a ground pass not AAA :wink:
  • Options
    My virtual tenner will be on Oosthuizen. 
  • Options
    Dustin Johnson 22 - Dustin never 22s for a major 👍
    Xander Schauffle - 22 highest ranked player not to have won a major. Surely his time soon. 👍
    Oosthuizen 33 - not a fan but great major pedigree and recent decent 👍
    Conners 125 - good price for someone that’s getting better and hits it miles. Lack of links experience will probable tell 🤏
    Herbert 90 - yep, playing well 👍
    Zalortoris 75 - ooh that’s a cheeky one. Again a lack of links and major experience but cool head and good price 👍
    Grace 55 - nah. Just don’t like his game and skinny price considering he’s only won a small event in the last few years 👎

original shortlist, was about 12/13. Cantlay, Fitzpatrick, S Scheffler, Detry, Lowry all half fancied but didn't quite make it
    Quite like your portfolio to be fair. Replace grace with macintyre and I might even think about being your copier! Comments in above 👍
  • Options
    Didnt realise that the Open was down here this year until I saw the road signs on the A2 yesterday
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    My virtual tenner will be on Oosthuizen. 
    Got a soft spot for him as we ate at his restaurant in Mossel Bay in January 2020. 

Saw Ernie Els win in 2002 in Muirfield and then again in 2012 beating Adam Scott when he imploded, hence why I want to follow him around.
  • Options
    Also my friend in South Africa gets coached by Brendan Grace so will bung a quid on him. 
  • Options
    Dustin Johnson 22 - Dustin never 22s for a major 👍
    Xander Schauffle - 22 highest ranked player not to have won a major. Surely his time soon. 👍
    Oosthuizen 33 - not a fan but great major pedigree and recent decent 👍
    Conners 125 - good price for someone that’s getting better and hits it miles. Lack of links experience will probable tell 🤏
    Herbert 90 - yep, playing well 👍
    Zalortoris 75 - ooh that’s a cheeky one. Again a lack of links and major experience but cool head and good price 👍
    Grace 55 - nah. Just don’t like his game and skinny price considering he’s only won a small event in the last few years 👎

Quite like your portfolio to be fair. Replace grace with macintyre and I might even think about being your copier! Comments in above 👍
    I like your write ups, i would never advocate following my golf bets. I do ok, but they can be random ie. Mutsayama. In all honesty when looking at this one and with a few long shots i could have picked 10 more, I'd be happy to pick DJ as the front runner firstly for value and just feel the course is set up well for him, if the wind picks up he will have a better chance.

I had Macintyre on my list, he reminds me of Mclroy breaking through, just not sure if too soon for a big one. 
  • Options
    Doesn't it look magnificent, thanks for posting @guinnessaddick it brings back so many memories! Not been down to either St Georges or Princes in well over 20 years.
    I'll be putting my bets on later today Sky Bet are paying first 11 places on e/w terms, I'll defo be having some of that!
    I'll post my selections later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So had a punt on the following @e/w odds (paying down to 11th)-:

Rahm           8's
    Speith        16's
    DJ              20's
    Fleetwood  33's
    Fitzpatrick 33's
    Casey        35's
    Westwood  40's
    Poulter       50's
    Macintyre   55's
    and finally a chance on
    Danny Willett @150's

As you can see I'm really hoping for a home winner (just 2 Americans and Rahm in my picks), but all the UK players have played 'links' golf and, if it blows (which it is forecast to, albeit sunny and warm!), they have the experience to play a different way to the American 'target' golf.
    If I had to pick just two of the above, I have a sneaky feeling for Fleetwood and Macintyre.

• Options
    I've added Oosthuizen, Casey, Scheffler, & MacIntyre ew to my win only on Schauffele. Should be a great tournament, good luck to all.
  • Options
    I've added two random first round leader bets only a couple of quid eachway on them:
    Leishman @66
    RIckie Fowler @66

Not much background here but have a feeling if fowler can find some form the course would suit him, but not confident he would be able to last the whole weekend. 
  • Options
    Gone each way on Justin Rose and Lucas Glover. 66/1 and 250/1.
  • Options
    As I opened this I just thought, surely Lucas is in your thoughts, good luck. 
  • Options
    As I opened this I just thought, surely Lucas is in your thoughts, good luck. 
    He won a tournament last week so maybe finding form at the right time. Worth a punt at 250/1 anyway from my viewpoint.
  • Options
    Difficult to go 'back to back ' but a good shout e/w, I'll be looking out for him now. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Gone each way on Justin Rose and Lucas Glover. 66/1 and 250/1.
    I normally do Justin, but with his quite lengthy lay off due to injury lately, I've opted out this year.
    Mind you at 66's that's not a bad shout for a small e/w @LenGlover
  • Options
    Just been over the driving range where they have 'Trackman'. You can now select a course to play, put in your handicap and which tee box to use from Championship downwards.
    I selected St George's and medal tees, and was gobsmacked at how realistic the course is!
    You play onto the driving range as normal but your shot is 'tracked' and then the outcome of each shot (except putting, which is automatically worked out for you) is shown on a TV screen in your bay!
    Needless to say I won't be winning The Open anytime soon, but it did evoke many memories!
  • Options
    We had a trip to the coast today and drove past all the notices for the park and ride to the course. They make it very clear that there is no public parking near the golf course itself.