Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I’m there on Friday. I know nothing about golf but I take the view if someone puts an international sporting event on within walking distance of your house it’s rude to ignore it. 

Went last time it was here and it rained all day!
  • Options
    I’m there on Friday. I know nothing about golf but I take the view if someone puts an international sporting event on within walking distance of your house it’s rude to ignore it. 

Hope you enjoy your day @Airman Brown
    Friday's normally a good day as players fight to ensure they stay there for the weekend and don't get 'cut', are you going to stay at one hole or follow a game?
  • Options

Hope you enjoy your day @Airman Brown
    Friday's normally a good day as players fight to ensure they stay there for the weekend and don't get 'cut', are you going to stay at one hole or follow a game?
    Thanks. No idea to be honest but with other Charlton fans so we’ll discuss. Last time we spent most of the day in the beer tent. Heartbreaking!
  • Options
    I'm a golf fan, but I've only been to one professional tournament.
    How these guys hit the ball is really quite something when you see it in the flesh.
    The power and trajectory is completely different to what I'd imagined.
    Golf is a ridiculously difficult game to play really well and the overall standard of play in the modern game is truly outstanding.
  • Options
    I’ve had An e/w bet on
    Thomas 18
    Oosthuizen 25
    Palmer 100
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    You’ve got to have a bit of Patrick Reed at 35/1 Bet365 (33/1 generally). Seems like the course is made for his chipping/scrambling game?

Although if my Euro 2020 record is anything to go by, back him to miss the cut
  • Options
    First t shots played Richard Bland with the honour. Sunny day but wind is already up at 17 mph, this is going to be good!
  • Options
    Lovely morning and wonderful to see the Open back. 
  • Options
    Looks likely the cut will be pretty low - seventy plus players par or better at present. 
  • Options
    Looks likely the cut will be pretty low - seventy plus players par or better at present. 
    Yep you could be right but course is harder this afternoon, so this morning's players will t off tomorrow afternoon and the scores may go up a little. My thoughts at the moment are +1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep you could be right but course is harder this afternoon, so this morning's players will t off tomorrow afternoon and the scores may go up a little. My thoughts at the moment are +1
    Weather makes such a difference- I remember Nicklaus shooting 83 at St George's.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Currently 70 players are at +1 and below. If wind stays tomorrow it may drift to +2.
  • Options
    They are saying course has played 2 shots harder this afternoon as against the morning.
    Things can change quite dramatically tomorrow, it'll be a good day to be there for those lucky enough to have tickets.
    Mickelson has just shot an 80!
  • Options
    Is it just me that is constantly surprised Paul Casey hasnt won a major yet ? He has all the shots and seems level headed. Just unlucky ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    As I opened this I just thought, surely Lucas is in your thoughts, good luck. 
    He won a tournament last week so maybe finding form at the right time. Worth a punt at 250/1 anyway from my viewpoint.
    Hope your mortgage wasn't on Glover Len.😬
  • Options
    Course will firm up over the next few days, which should see scores edge a little higher.
    Some great golf today - course looks fantastic and a fair test.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Is it just me that is constantly surprised Paul Casey hasnt won a major yet ? He has all the shots and seems level headed. Just unlucky ?
    Completely agree - he has the game to win a major, 
    but looks to me like he doesn't hole quite enough putts for the chances he gives himself.
  • Options
    BBC highlights are shocking 
  • Options
    For the first time in many years at a major, I didn't back Louis!
  • Options
    I watched most of yesterdays, it did seem alot of key putts were being held either birdie/pars. That could be a factor too as i expected it to play higher, be interested to see how it plays today. Some quality golf yesterday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched most of yesterdays, it did seem alot of key putts were being held either birdie/pars. That could be a factor too as i expected it to play higher, be interested to see how it plays today. Some quality golf yesterday 

It will be a real challenge and those experienced in playing windy links courses will have a distinct advantage at what is a beast of a course - this isn't St Andrews pitch and putt in no wind! For that reason I would think the British and Irish will have a great chance. If he can maintain his form, which has been somewhat hit and miss lately, then Rose has a great chance. Casey too, and with a bit of luck Rory.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It will be a real challenge and those experienced in playing windy links courses will have a distinct advantage at what is a beast of a course - this isn't St Andrews pitch and putt in no wind! For that reason I would think the British and Irish will have a great chance. If he can maintain his form, which has been somewhat hit and miss lately, then Rose has a great chance. Casey too, and with a bit of luck Rory.
    I deliberately avoided any English, mainly if one wins i'll be happy. 

What i think is great, you watch the PGA tour and the amount of eagle chances you see, over here not so much. It shows what a factor is with the weather, i did take that into account with my bets. Should be a fun few days! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    R and A are moving flags to compensate for lack of breeze! I'm with @bobmunro I think a home player will take this, but Louis is playing well. I still think cut will be +1 or +2, breeze is set to get up again this afternoon and the course is drying out minute by minute.
    It's going to be a very interesting day!
    I absolutely love this course!
  • Options
    Thought Fleetwood moved nicely into position last night, sorry Tommy if that jinx's you, a big win and he would be a sponsors dream I would say.
  • Options
    Ooh wind has picked up now blowing at 20 mph!! Good!
  • Options
    Good spot RM ,don't want it being too easy for them, would like the winning score just a few under personally. 
  • Options
    Dont suppose anyone has a spare for tomorrow. Want to take my son. Thanks 
  • Options
    Very early in the day to be making predictions. 
    But I reckon the leader at the end of today will be no better than 9 under. 
  • Options
    R and A are moving flags to compensate for lack of breeze! I'm with @bobmunro I think a home player will take this, but Louis is playing well. I still think cut will be +1 or +2, breeze is set to get up again this afternoon and the course is drying out minute by minute.
    It's going to be a very interesting day!
    I absolutely love this course!
    Likewise - my favourite Open venue, Red. 
  • Options
    Very early in the day to be making predictions. 
    But I reckon the leader at the end of today will be no better than 9 under. 
    I think that might be a bit too high, depends if this morning's 20 mph wind increases this afternoon like it did yesterday! Be even better if it turned round!! 😜