Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2021

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Totally deserved. Felt for Louis so close again. But he can have no complaints the guy played the course perfectly
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Great player, i am sure this is the first of many majors.
    Don't follow golf much I assume Chippy?
    Oops i forgot he won the PGA...but i only see the majors as the two opens and the masters, trying to sneak the 5th in at Sawgrass is a bit crafty too, in my opinion of course.
  • Options
    Well done to Morikawa an exceptional talent. Really sorry that Louis came up just short again. Decent open for me with each way returns on Louis, Scheffler & MacIntyre. Just a pity that we have to wait over 8 months until the next major, but there is the Ryder Cup to look forward to later this year.
  • Options
    I fear we may get a bit of a tonking this Ryder Cup.
  • Options
    Man for man I might agree with you but the Ryder Cup brings out the best in our lads and the worst in the US. Just need Steve Stricker to now pair Koepka and DeChambeau together! 
  • Options
    Morikawa looks a great talent and seems very level headed. 
  • Options
    A worthy winner. Seems like a very rounded young man. I suspect he will feature prominently for years. Just wish he’d speed up a bit. Right up there with De Chambeau in taking yonks to figure out every shot. The 40 second rule is simply ignored. 
    some of the slow play is criminal, it's like watching Selby play snooker
  • Options
    Was/has he ever been fined for slow play?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    iaitch said:
    Was/has he ever been fined for slow play?
    He hasn't.

Yesterday was fun but I'd have liked tougher conditions. There was no queue for trains on either day I went but the park & ride sounded like a constant 'mare. From on the ground I've heard that RSG wanted the fairways firmer but the R&A are scared of upsetting players, instead the R&A wanted the greens firmer but RSG are scared of damaging them... So the ground game never really came into it.

Also, on the 72nd tee yesterday someone hid a fart machine in the undergrowth and kept setting it off as Morikawa was preparing to play. That's why you saw him back off. It was hilarious but the novelty did soon wear off, so an extra well done to Collin for battling through that.
  • Options
    I went yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. They are just awesome to watch. But the slow play is crazy. I'd hate to play with any of them. I plonked myself on the 6th hole for a while and some of the gaps were huge. 

I used the park and ride and id psyched myself up for a balls up, but it wasn't too bad. The roads are single track and can barely fit a bus down them.

Overall it was well organised and a fantastic day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    on paper down the years when we have feared eg. Mickelson/Woods, we always seem to turn up. The ryder cup is completely different, which makes it fantastic to watch and usually it will be competitive you would hope. 

As much as i had Louis, you cant argue with that performance. No nerves at all and held every putt, what a great player, hes going to be some force for years to come. So level headed and what looks like the perfect swing and short game, well played young man! 
  • Options
    on paper down the years when we have feared eg. Mickelson/Woods, we always seem to turn up. The ryder cup is completely different, which makes it fantastic to watch and usually it will be competitive you would hope. 

As much as i had Louis, you cant argue with that performance. No nerves at all and held every putt, what a great player, hes going to be some force for years to come. So level headed and what looks like the perfect swing and short game, well played young man! 

Couldn't agree more - and Morikawa has the sort of swing that will not wreck his body. Twenty years to look forward to watching him.

On the Ryder Cup - for me probably the most enjoyable sporting event on the calendar. Europe (team) versus US (individuals) evens it up. Forget about world rankings.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Couldn't agree more - and Morikawa has the sort of swing that will not wreck his body. Twenty years to look forward to watching him.

On the Ryder Cup - for me probably the most enjoyable sporting event on the calendar. Europe (team) versus US (individuals) evens it up. Forget about world rankings.
    Completely agree with both points their Bobo 
  • Options
    As it stands we've got Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, McIlroy, Hovland, Casey, Westwood & Lowry.

That leaves three picks out of players like Rose, Poulter, Garcia, Perez, McIntyre, Pieters, Molinari, Cabrera Bello, Willet & more. My money would be that Rose & Molinari will take two of those. Then a tricky choice between Poulter & Sergio. Whoever the three are that is a damn strong team. 

Americans have Morikawa, Johnson, Bryson, Brooks, Thomas & Schauffele. So you'd expect Spieth, Reed, Cantlay, Finau to be four of the six picks. Lottery for the other two.

It'd be close but don't see any reason why we couldn't take them.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    cafcpolo said:
    As it stands we've got Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, McIlroy, Hovland, Casey, Westwood & Lowry.

That leaves three picks out of players like Rose, Poulter, Garcia, Perez, McIntyre, Pieters, Molinari, Cabrera Bello, Willet & more. My money would be that Rose & Molinari will take two of those. Then a tricky choice between Poulter & Sergio. Whoever the three are that is a damn strong team. 

Americans have Morikawa, Johnson, Bryson, Brooks, Thomas & Schauffele. So you'd expect Spieth, Reed, Cantlay, Finau to be four of the six picks. Lottery for the other two.

It'd be close but don't see any reason why we couldn't take them.
    Personally can't see Molinari making it - he's been pretty awful for the last 2 years, and although he's shown glimpses of form at times still hasn't found anything.

If the automatic places stay as they are, then I'd expect the captains picks to be three of Rose, Poulter, Garcia and McIntyre. I would say that McIntyre is looking very likely to get a pick. Very good form, aggressive player, took DJ down at the World Matchplay.

Also, agreed that it will be a very strong team. Think it will be one of our best in recent times, at least on paper.