Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    If one good thing comes out of this it is that the ordeal of getting tickets to our next Wembley final will be significantly less stressful!
  • Options
    A lot of comments on here seem to be focussing on “we’re not as bad as Italy “ which really is an irrelevance for this thread, we need to just focus on our own problems.

As said, the real issue here is the security breach and the terrorist threat, how would the jibbers have felt if there was a Manchester  scale disaster off the back of them cracking the place open? Doesn’t bare thinking about!
    Weren’t you the one who started the comparisons between Italy & England?!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    A lot of comments on here seem to be focussing on “we’re not as bad as Italy “ which really is an irrelevance for this thread, we need to just focus on our own problems.

As said, the real issue here is the security breach and the terrorist threat, how would the jibbers have felt if there was a Manchester  scale disaster off the back of them cracking the place open? Doesn’t bare thinking about!
    Weren’t you the one who started the comparisons between Italy & England?!
    I was the one who started the conversation about parenting styles and drew parallels between my wife’s experience of parents attitudes to their children through her job and her own upbringing, which was in an Italian family yes.
     I didn’t start the conversation about Italian hooliganism, or the level of racism in the country.
    some mentioned Mussolini, my wife once showed me a photo her grandfather had taken of when old Benito was killed and strung up (he was among the villagers that did it).
  • Options
    Back in the day there is no way this wouldn’t have been known before the event.
    Someone would definitely had fessed up.
    Can’t believe for one minute this intelligence wouldn’t have been known before.

Someone, somewhere just didn’t want to pay for policing this properly by the look of it.
    Hmm, this is what I’ve been thinking to be honest. Football fans have always been collateral damage and I wonder whether the police just gave this up. I mean there was more policy at palace away in 2015 than there was at Wembley on Sunday. If that’s the case and I doubt it will ever be proven, it’s another epic fail in the careers of Cressida Dick and Sadiq Khan.
  • Options
    @Carter agree about the media hypocrisy but remember it is just journalists trying to make a story, same as the rags in this country do.
    I think it does show England as a whole in a good light that you needed to really hunt for any abuse, those people are best left under their rocks, to paraphrase Boris!
  • Options
    hopefully actually made some of the cretins think twice.
    This would be a good outcome!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s been so sad reading about what happened surrounding the final and just shows how toxic some people can be.

On the flip side I was so happy with how my fellow Englishman and opposing Italians behaved in Shanghai, I went to the bar that had 1,800 people in in, probably 70% English, 30% Italian (with some Chinese supporting either side) and whilst there was loss of good natured banter there was never a hint of trouble. Anyone coming from the designated Italian area to the toilets had to walk through the massive crowd of mostly drunk English fans (3am kick off, you can imagine when many started drinking) and there was literally zero aggression shown at any point. 
    What would have happened if there was trouble and the police arrived?
    Anything from a stern telling off to 10 days inside and instant deportation.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Pretty grim story in tomorrow’s papers about Harry Maguires dad being injured by yobs in the stadium on Sunday. 

Albanian gangsters? 
    ......only from TOMY.
  • Options
    I have read on the internet today, blokes boasting that they gave a steward £200 to get 5 of them in
    and this was happening at previous games. Also being told where the empty seating was.
    I would willingly paid the 95 Euros (£81) a ticket but knew I had no chance of getting a ticket for the final, so watched the game in comfort at home with the wife, so glad I did after seeing those drunken/drugged up
    morons misbehaving. Vetting of stewards and much more policing needed in future!
  • Options
    I couldn’t get to my seat that I had paid over 1,600 for cause of these Cnuts and the security of Wembley. It’s pissing me off more than the loss who thinks they have the right to do this and threaten and hurt people.
    You must be confused. None of them sat in anyone's seat and they were all good little boys. Honest. 
  • Options
    The best way to stop it is to track as many of them down as the authorities can and ban them from football. Seeing as a few are boasting about it, there seems a logical starting place.
  • Options
    I couldn’t get to my seat that I had paid over 1,600 for cause of these Cnuts and the security of Wembley. It’s pissing me off more than the loss who thinks they have the right to do this and threaten and hurt people.
    I paid a similar amount for 2 tickets. Think we deserve a refund 
  • Options
    I paid a similar amount for 2 tickets. Think we deserve a refund 
    Yes meant 2 seats. Certainly need something back. Maguire Dad got hurt FFS. Won’t get a thing .. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Henry's post is bang on. This country has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
    Absolutely, so why isn’t something being done about it?

What are your thoughts on what should be done? Alcohol is a legal depressant. It is enjoyed responsibly by 99% of people that consume it. So it will never be prohibited. You could make it more expensive through taxation, but that would penalise the law abiding majority who enjoy it (and it has limited impact on those who its intended to affect, those with a dependency). You could educate about the impact of alcohol - that's pretty much an ongoing thing.

The reality is, in England and around the world, people get drunk and act stupidly. It was ever thus. The answer is ultimately in personal responsibility and a consideration of others unless you want o live in a police state or have a para military police force that goes in first and asks questions later. 
    No one is asking for it to be banned. You say people round the world do it, but what city centres have you been to abroad that need to be policed like ours every weekend? Only other places that come close, are the tourist destinations we ruin every summer. 
    You might need to travel a bit more....
    Seriously though, where else has the same shenanigans as you get in UK city centres at the weekend?
    I think they need to teach citizenship, or something like it, in schools. And some version of media studies to help people sort disinformation and conspiracy theories from truth. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Why is posting something like that fair game but if you made similar broad brush statements about any other group people would have a fit. I really don't get the double standards.
    Because it shows that before the game they were supporting the players.

But then immediately following the game Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Saka's Instagram and twitter were filled with monkey emoji, bananas and the n-word. 

Do you really think the fans sending racial abuse to those players are black? 
    Not quite an accurate interpretation of the truth though is it. Before the game there were 30 odd million people tuning in supporting the players. After the game a few scumbags took their anger out on our black players. Of course it's not acceptable, it's absolutely disgusting but I'm sick of reading about how England fans are all violent scumbags. It's a very small minority who have unfortunately ruined it for the majority who are just genuinely gutted without feeling the need to attack anyone. 
    I don’t think it’s that small unfortunately. I worked on the France World Cup in ‘98, staying in camp sites with England fans and watching matches in pubs with fans who couldn’t get in. The atmosphere was pretty bloody horrible if I’m honest. And they weren’t playing to the TV cameras, as we weren’t there with TV cameras. It was obvious that there were people there who were far more interested in the drinking and the fighting than the football. These weren’t liberal/woke types, put it that way. 

Wembley Way was bit of a ‘mare on Sunday apparently, and nothing like when we played Sunderland, where it had a carnival atmosphere. It’s all too predictable and depressing. 
    I doubt we’ll be hosting 2030 World Cup now unfortunately. . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Henry's post is bang on. This country has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
    Absolutely, so why isn’t something being done about it?

What are your thoughts on what should be done? Alcohol is a legal depressant. It is enjoyed responsibly by 99% of people that consume it. So it will never be prohibited. You could make it more expensive through taxation, but that would penalise the law abiding majority who enjoy it (and it has limited impact on those who its intended to affect, those with a dependency). You could educate about the impact of alcohol - that's pretty much an ongoing thing.

The reality is, in England and around the world, people get drunk and act stupidly. It was ever thus. The answer is ultimately in personal responsibility and a consideration of others unless you want o live in a police state or have a para military police force that goes in first and asks questions later. 
    No one is asking for it to be banned. You say people round the world do it, but what city centres have you been to abroad that need to be policed like ours every weekend? Only other places that come close, are the tourist destinations we ruin every summer. 
    You might need to travel a bit more....
    Seriously though, where else has the same shenanigans as you get in UK city centres at the weekend?
    I think they need to teach citizenship, or something like it, in schools. And some version of media studies to help people sort disinformation and conspiracy theories from truth. 
    They already do
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Why is posting something like that fair game but if you made similar broad brush statements about any other group people would have a fit. I really don't get the double standards.
    Because it shows that before the game they were supporting the players.

But then immediately following the game Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Saka's Instagram and twitter were filled with monkey emoji, bananas and the n-word. 

Do you really think the fans sending racial abuse to those players are black? 
    Not quite an accurate interpretation of the truth though is it. Before the game there were 30 odd million people tuning in supporting the players. After the game a few scumbags took their anger out on our black players. Of course it's not acceptable, it's absolutely disgusting but I'm sick of reading about how England fans are all violent scumbags. It's a very small minority who have unfortunately ruined it for the majority who are just genuinely gutted without feeling the need to attack anyone. 
    I don’t think it’s that small unfortunately. I worked on the France World Cup in ‘98, staying in camp sites with England fans and watching matches in pubs with fans who couldn’t get in. The atmosphere was pretty bloody horrible if I’m honest. And they weren’t playing to the TV cameras, as we weren’t there with TV cameras. It was obvious that there were people there who were far more interested in the drinking and the fighting than the football. These weren’t liberal/woke types, put it that way. 

Wembley Way was bit of a ‘mare on Sunday apparently, and nothing like when we played Sunderland, where it had a carnival atmosphere. It’s all too predictable and depressing. 
    I doubt we’ll be hosting 2030 World Cup now unfortunately. . 
    I think it should be said that both Charlton and Sunderland fans were a credit to their clubs in May 2019. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Thank goodness no one who wanted to do some serious damage piggybacked on this. 

Imagine the chaos a terrorist running in with them and bypassing security could have caused.
    I mentioned this a couple of days ago and someone actually lol'd my post.

I have only been to New Wembley twice, for the Olympics Men's final in 2012 and of course our play off final, but on both occasions I thought the security to be very good and the searches pretty good. On both occasions we got there early so I suppose the checks are more thorough than they are near to kick off.

I hope that the terrorist aspect is taken more seriously, as now it has been made public that security is often poor, it would be a great coup for a terrorist to set off a bomb in the national stadium.

• Options
    I know I’ve been humoured before for saying this but since I stopped drinking 3 years ago (for the sake of my own mental health) I find it very very hard sometimes to watch the rest of society sliding towards the abyss, at least that’s how it feels as being sober there really doesn’t feel like there’s anywhere to hide.
    As you say @JohnBoyUK I feel the same, I only hope my two daughters can wade through it as best they can…
  • Options
    The Met police having a laugh
    Deputy assistant commissioner doesn't accept policing operation failed for the Euro final.
  • Options
    I am too young to remember any of this, but how did the wider public see the treatment of David Beckham in 1998. I obviously remember the burning effegies, but did not know about the photo of him on a dart board. Did the wider public see as wrong, or was it just one of those things at that time. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/when-david-beckham-was-most-hated-man-england-and-had-greatest-season-his-life
    Beckham got slaughtered every where he played outside of Old Trafford.He took it with dignity,and just got on with his game,no doubt with the support of his manager ,who would no doubt have found the right way to deal with the situation.As a result,Beckham became one of Englands finest ambassadors on and off the pitch,and we now only remember him for his contribution to the game.I hope the 3 lads who missed their penalties dont get abuse ,but I fear the moronic element among us will make themselves heard.