Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    I am too young to remember any of this, but how did the wider public see the treatment of David Beckham in 1998. I obviously remember the burning effegies, but did not know about the photo of him on a dart board. Did the wider public see as wrong, or was it just one of those things at that time. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/when-david-beckham-was-most-hated-man-england-and-had-greatest-season-his-life
    Beckham got slaughtered every where he played outside of Old Trafford.He took it with dignity,and just got on with his game,no doubt with the support of his manager ,who would no doubt have found the right way to deal with the situation.As a result,Beckham became one of Englands finest ambassadors on and off the pitch,and we now only remember him for his contribution to the game.I hope the 3 lads who missed their penalties dont get abuse ,but I fear the moronic element among us will make themselves heard.
    Imagine if we'd had social media when Beckham got slaughtered...
  • Options
    We don’t deserve it. I have never seen social scenes in my life outside Wembley and central London on Sunday. Inside I was lucky as got seats near the herberts that has mine and we were all standing anyway. I thought Gills away was a bad one. 
    Hopefully more comes out on the footage on Wembley way and the scenes all around the ground. It was a fucking riot! 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    The Met police having a laugh
    Deputy assistant commissioner doesn't accept policing operation failed for the Euro final.
    How bad do things need to be before they think they've failed?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Spain and Portugal were heavy favourites for that WC anyway. Saved us a few quid.

In all seriousness I can’t see us being allowed to host anything for a generation now because of Sunday. 
  • Options
    Spanish policing is an absolute joke. Our police have dropped a bollock big time here, but let’s not pretend that our policing is not usually up there with the best to the point I usually think it’s often ott. Foreign fans are policed brilliantly here. The Spanish on the other hand are some of the worst I and many English supporters have encountered.

Everyone is literally loving to stick the boot in to the English over this, loving it.

That said I’d still prefer a tournament over there for many reasons.
    Yes, Qatar even looking attractive if they open up bars as all the filth will be priced out! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    We don’t deserve it. I have never seen social scenes in my life outside Wembley and central London on Sunday. Inside I was lucky as got seats near the herberts that has mine and we were all standing anyway. I thought Gills away was a bad one. 
    Hopefully more comes out on the footage on Wembley way and the scenes all around the ground. It was a fucking riot! 
    Only reason I got in the ground at 6PM is my mate who bunked in (Tailgated) rang me to say that it is chaos and explained what was happening. Must have dumped like 15 beers between us and tried to get in the ground ASAP. Wasn’t any police when I went up at 6:10ish.

Tried sitting with my brother and even his seat was nicked. Luckily managed to tuck into a row at the back of the stand with him.
  • Options
    Spanish policing is an absolute joke. Our police have dropped a bollock big time here, but let’s not pretend that our policing is not usually up there with the best to the point I usually think it’s often ott. Foreign fans are policed brilliantly here. The Spanish on the other hand are some of the worst I and many English supporters have encountered.

Everyone is literally loving to stick the boot in to the English over this, loving it.

That said I’d still prefer a tournament over there for many reasons.
    I don't think that's true at all. 

You can wave away the antics of Sunday all you want but I do not remember any World Cup/Euro final where the host nation's public literally turned up in their thousands outside causing havoc and smashed their way into the stadium. 

Only the English would be that stupid. 
    Did it happen in Paris in 2016, nope, did it happen in Lisbon in 2008, nope, did we get a taste of how ‘an element’ of England fans behave when they rock up abroad, in our own capital city? Oh yes 
  • Options
    Haha, it’s an absolute national embarrassment. Forget about the 2030 World Cup, UEFA won’t even let us host the FA Cup final at Wembley at this rate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spain and Portugal were heavy favourites for that WC anyway. Saved us a few quid.

In all seriousness I can’t see us being allowed to host anything for a generation now because of Sunday. 
    In all seriousness I dont know why there is anyone other than Uruguay and Argentina being discussed as hosts.

Its 100-years since the World Cup in 2030 - Give it to the two countries who reached the first final

Of course equally honest FIFA wont care about doing something like that unless they're given a decent enough envelope
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I can't believe the old bill didn't have truncheons out smashing heads open. There's a time for liberal policing but when people abuse light touch law enforcement you can't shrug your shoulders and let all hell break loose. Part of me thinks this was allowed to happen as a shot across the bows for the government, and perhaps it's linked to the Dalian Atkinson case.
  • Options

In all seriousness I dont know why there is anyone other than Uruguay and Argentina being discussed as hosts.

Its 100-years since the World Cup in 2030 - Give it to the two countries who reached the first final

Of course equally honest FIFA wont care about doing something like that unless they're given a decent enough envelope
    I’m a romantic, so would like that.

But let’s not forget the 2018 Libertadores final in Argentina, which made Wembley Way on Sunday seem like a kid’s playground. 
  • Options
    Spain and Portugal would be great and would mean only proper England fans being there, not some of the dregs I saw on Sunday

Agree with others on the police here compared to other countries

I thought the police were very very good in the way they handled certain situations on Sunday and whilst having a presence didn’t become intimidating before the game

I had my Charlton flag draped around me walking into Wembley, aside from bumping into more Charlton fans than I’ve done at some away games the copper that frisked me when I got in was also Charlton (entrance L red police cap). Top fella he was 👍
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Spain and Portugal would be great and would mean only proper England fans being there, not some of the dregs I saw on Sunday

I thought the police were very very good in the way they handled certain situations on Sunday and whilst having a presence didn’t become intimidating before the game

I had my Charlton flag draped around me walking into Wembley, aside from bumping into more Charlton fans than I’ve done at some away games the copper that frisked me when I got in was also Charlton (entrance L red police cap). Top fella he was 👍
    Where you stood outside the Sainsbury’s by the trees towards Wembley Arena area? I’m certain I spoke to you on Sunday. Gave you a fist bump. 
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder whether a lot of us oldies on here over react and hark back to "the good old days", whenever they were! But, you only have to walk down any highstreet in London and witness school kids milling around after school or exit any pub at kicking out time to realise things are a lot different these days. People honestly don't give a shit now and pretty much do what they want. Sunday didn't surprise me, but the fact there seemed to be no policing did. As others have mentioned its lucky no would be terrorist seized the moment and took advantage of it.
  • Options

Yeah because pissed up Brits would never dream of causing a scene in Spain during the summer!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The organisation and policing of fans has improved a lot over the last few years in Spain. In the last couple of years we've had the Champions League final between Liverpool and Spurs and the Copa Libertadores final between Boca Juniors and River plate here in Madrid and the police did a great job at both, and to be fair the fans were great.

Totally agree that some of the scenes from Wembley on Sunday were grim, and sadly they were reported widely here. It's obviously a minority but the footage of England fans smashing up their own city just looked so moronic and damages the international perception again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    There's an article in the times today (which I now can't find) comparing the loss to Germany in 96 to Sunday.

More people were arrested in London in 96, a Russian teen was stabbed when people misheard his accent, 7 people jumped off the pier in Brighton, and German cars were reportedly being smashed up. 

The article was arguing whether society has actually gotten worse, or is everything simply just magnified across social media, and news apps?
    I was discussing similar yesterday with my brother. I was 6 during Euro 96 so can't really comment on what it was like and he's even younger than me. But I don't doubt social media would have made Euro 10 times worse. It gives a platform the cowards. How many people started abusing the players within 10 minutes of the penalties finishing, without social media that wouldn't have happened. 99% of these people are vile cowards, they haven't got the balls to do it in public, they have to do behind their keyboard, mostly under fake profiles. 
  • Options
    @ Southwest_Addicks yeah I was in that bit, group of 6 of us including Palace 

It was a good day at that point 😂
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Sounds like that man who put a flare up his bum had one hell of a day. 

Just heard on the radio he drank 20 cans of cider, snorted loads of cocaine, put a flare up his bum then stormed in to Wembley without a ticket. 

He apparently said when asked "I'm not sorry" 

I have to admit I did laugh but my god I worry how many people like him there are in society. 
  • Options
    The police done a good job apparently - load of rubbish I’ve seen Charlton away games ( West Brom ) which have had a bigger police presence. 

I genuinely think from walking from the tube I saw 2 pairs of police officers and they were just standard bobbies with caps on. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Sounds like that man who put a flare up his bum had one hell of a day. 

Just heard on the radio he drank 20 cans of cider, snorted loads of cocaine, put a flare up his bum then stormed in to Wembley without a ticket. 

He apparently said when asked "I'm not sorry" 

I have to admit I did laugh but my god I worry how many people like him there are in society. 
    Beat me to it

• Options
    Hope he got paid well for that interview as it’s basically his confession that hopefully will lead to him seeing the inside of a prison cell.