Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    Beckham and Rooney got ten times the abuse The Penalty Three have received. They are getting widespread empathy and support from the masses like I’ve not seen before. 

It’s such a shame that underneath the sensational abusive tip that can be evidenced and extrapolated by social media, the general public reaction to failure is far more mature and supportive than ever seen before. 
    👏
  • Options
    I think we miss the point when we say there are people that are just as bad from other countries. This could be the time when we say to the a*holes, F off out of our game. When the majority demand better standards of behaviour it will happen. Eventually. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I think we miss the point when we say there are people that are just as bad from other countries. This could be the time when we say to the a*holes, F off out of our game. When the majority demand better standards of behaviour it will happen. Eventually. 
    When a country like Italy is trying to get on a moral high horse with England it is absolutely right that we should say, loudly get your own house in order first. This season a TV station overlaid Romelu Lukaku with banana graphics for fuck sake. Clearly our figurative underpants aren't immaculate of skid marks but they are most certainly not the 2lb turd filled gussets of Italy when it comes to inclusivity, racial diversity and progression. Same with France, thats the only place I've been on public transport and seen someone outwardly racially abusing someone at 10 in the morning 
    Quite right 
  • Options
    If you don't focus on washing your own underpants they will remain dirty. It is irrelevant how dirty others' are as we have no control over them. I think there is a national feeling that these self entitled pricks need tackling and whilst I can see that some of the accusers are no angels themselves, I will be delighted if we come down hard on our pricks and kick them out of football if they can't abide by basic standards of decency. Our standards, not somebody else's.
    Sorry Muttley, I can't agree with that, not when they are trying to take the moral high ground as Carter says. Yes, we shouldn't paper over the cracks and pretend nothing is wrong jut because other countries have been or are, worse. But Italians giving us stick for racism and violence is absolutely laughable. And the racism in Italy isn't just down to a few scumbags either, it's half the bloody population. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    If you don't focus on washing your own underpants they will remain dirty. It is irrelevant how dirty others' are as we have no control over them. I think there is a national feeling that these self entitled pricks need tackling and whilst I can see that some of the accusers are no angels themselves, I will be delighted if we come down hard on our pricks and kick them out of football if they can't abide by basic standards of decency. Our standards, not somebody else's.
    Sorry Muttley, I can't agree with that, not when they are trying to take the moral high ground as Carter says. Yes, we shouldn't paper over the cracks and pretend nothing is wrong jut because other countries have been or are, worse. But Italians giving us stick for racism and violence is absolutely laughable. And the racism in Italy isn't just down to a few scumbags either, it's half the bloody population. 
    Well that isn't true but I am not denying Italy has a problem. It is like when your son or daughter gets in trouble at school and says well he did it too. Or she was worse. As a good parent, that is the problem of the other parents but you demand better from your child. Well you do if you are a good parent. 

Have we got something to be angry about? If the answer is yes, we deal with that and not look to mitigate it by pointing at someone else. I am reminded of the attitude of football hooligans over the years. When they get punished they cry how unfair it all is. The injustice of it all.  
  • Options
    Well that isn't true but I am not denying Italy has a problem. It is like when your son or daughter gets in trouble at school and says well he did it too. Or she was worse. As a good parent, that is the problem of the other parents but you demand better from your child. Well you do if you are a good parent. 

Have we got something to be angry about? If the answer is yes, we deal with that and not look to mitigate it by pointing at someone else.
    what isn't true?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your generalisation that half of Italians are racist. 
  • Options
    Not quite a generalisation - More than half of Italians in poll say racist acts are justifiable | Italy | The Guardian

I accept the pool for that survey was tiny, but there was also this - "As Italy lacks an action plan, the European Parliament passed a resolution last week to condemn all forms of racism, hate and violence. Around half of the Italian members of the European Parliament voted against it". 
  • Options
    Pretty grim story in tomorrow’s papers about Harry Maguires dad being injured by yobs in the stadium on Sunday. 
  • Options
    Going back to my point about parenting, if we don't take responsibility for what we are responsible for, it is a reason why we have these pricks that shame us. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    And there is an awful lot of ‘well at least we’re not as bad as them’ going on
    No there's not. Most people, including myself, have clearly highlighted that we don't condone any of it, regardless of whether other countries are worst. But it is a bit of a cheek to go overboard on the criticism of England when they are a disgrace, and have been for some time. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Rothko said:
    Nope, there is a lot of not accepting a lecture on progressive attitudes from an Italian or French tabloid. Like taking a lesson in honesty from Boris Johnson 
    There’s are posts on this page citing one poll as proof that Italy is still the Italy of Mussolini. 

Are there problems in those countries, yep, is England a country with a problem around race, and it’s related history, absolutely. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    No there's not. Most people, including myself, have clearly highlighted that we don't condone any of it, regardless of whether other countries are worst. But it is a bit of a cheek to go overboard on the criticism of England when they are a disgrace, and have been for some time. 
    You’ve just done it again and I don’t think you’ve realised 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    News night just reported that following their analysis of 105 abusive messages to the three black players, only 5 of them could be sure of coming from the UK.

Nine accounts had been deleted and 32 were not definitive. The rest appeared to be from abroad. 

Putin must be pissing himself.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying that there isn't an issue that needs addressing. 
  • Options
    I’m still seething that the safety of our national stadium was compromised & it now appears that this has been a regular occurrence for a number of years.
    I was fortunate to witness the building of the new Wembley, be involved in the discussion about how best practice was used in policing fixtures.
    When I visited before it opened I was delighted with it.
    But it appears that things have changed hugely in the time I’ve moved on.
    I totally believe that the centralisation of football intelligence has hindered policing operations.
    The old adage you get what you pay for is so true.
    Cuts have consequences.
    I sincerely hope there is a full enquiry & that change happens.
    Theres is no excuse for what happened on Sunday night, absolutely none.
    Do you think the shopping centre and other stuff around Wembley have made things worse? I can’t think of another stadium used in this tournament where you would have been allowed that close without a ticket 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I’m still seething that the safety of our national stadium was compromised & it now appears that this has been a regular occurrence for a number of years.
    I was fortunate to witness the building of the new Wembley, be involved in the discussion about how best practice was used in policing fixtures.
    When I visited before it opened I was delighted with it.
    But it appears that things have changed hugely in the time I’ve moved on.
    I totally believe that the centralisation of football intelligence has hindered policing operations.
    The old adage you get what you pay for is so true.
    Cuts have consequences.
    I sincerely hope there is a full enquiry & that change happens.
    Theres is no excuse for what happened on Sunday night, absolutely none.
    Do you think the shopping centre and other stuff around Wembley have made things worse? I can’t think of another stadium used in this tournament where you would have been allowed that close without a ticket 
    It definitely doesn’t help.
    But there will always be ways to deal with the hand you’re dealt.
    Its not like the shops have appeared overnight, there have been plenty of full stadia events in the run up to this.
    Take our play off final, full house & from what I could see very little issue.
    But I’ve been alerted to the fact that previous events have had ticketless fans gain entry at ease. If that’s the case there’s no excuse for it still happening imho.
    I was always from the school of lessons learned, never let it happen again.
    So why has it?
    Doesn’t sit right with me. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It’s been so sad reading about what happened surrounding the final and just shows how toxic some people can be.

On the flip side I was so happy with how my fellow Englishman and opposing Italians behaved in Shanghai, I went to the bar that had 1,800 people in in, probably 70% English, 30% Italian (with some Chinese supporting either side) and whilst there was loss of good natured banter there was never a hint of trouble. Anyone coming from the designated Italian area to the toilets had to walk through the massive crowd of mostly drunk English fans (3am kick off, you can imagine when many started drinking) and there was literally zero aggression shown at any point. 
    What would have happened if there was trouble and the police arrived?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Pretty grim story in tomorrow’s papers about Harry Maguires dad being injured by yobs in the stadium on Sunday. 

Albanian gangsters? 
  • Options
    Back in the day there is no way this wouldn’t have been known before the event.
    Someone would definitely had fessed up.
    Can’t believe for one minute this intelligence wouldn’t have been known before.

Someone, somewhere just didn’t want to pay for policing this properly by the look of it.