Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Seen this doing the rounds on twitter and Instagram today, and it certainly backs up what people said earlier on this thread about international accounts being abusive on twitter. I've got no idea where the data is from though, or if it's reliable. Also doesn't take into count people using VPNs

How can you tell where the posts came from? 

Vpns are a thing. Fake accounts pretending to be some guy halfway across the world/anonymous accounts are also a thing. 
  • Options
    I bumped into a few people who used to be in my year at school who were boasting they bunked in. Said they'd done the same for the Denmark game, wankers tbh - and this lot i'm 95% have never gone to the England game in there life. 
    Similarly in front of us were three 16 year olds who bunked in and were facetiming their mum it looked like. It was certainly a weird crowd, loads of people in and around Wembley just there as an excuse to get pissed/coked up from 11 am, not convinced they like football much. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Seen this doing the rounds on twitter and Instagram today, and it certainly backs up what people said earlier on this thread about international accounts being abusive on twitter. I've got no idea where the data is from though, or if it's reliable. Also doesn't take into count people using VPNs

How can you tell where the posts came from? 

Vpns are a thing. Fake accounts pretending to be some guy halfway across the world/anonymous accounts are also a thing. 
    Which is exactly what Croydon said.
  • Options
    So if he had a budget of 500 for a ticket what has he spent that money on now considering he got in for free?
    A Charlton season ticket maybe? Oh wait...he could just bunk in!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Shocking use of colours......you can barely tell some of them apart.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

This really doesn’t surprise me. As soon as I heard about the predictable racist tweeting, I thought fake accounts, Bots, overseas tweeters, people looking to divide us. You will get a handful of dickheads tweeting racist stuff but I’m convinced that a sizeable amount of this stuff is fake. Just because England lost, it doesn’t necessarily mean it was English people tweeting it. All I have seen is an outpouring of good will and support for the three players, apart from the shocking defacing of the Rashford mural.

I’m really intrigued to know where this data came from and whether it’s real. Would be nice if Twitter worked with the authorities to establish the facts from the bullshit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Barnes hitting the nail on the head during a Jeremy Vine interview on R2 just now.

Cutting through all the BS being spouted on the media today.

JB for PM. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm not going to give it any credibility by quoting it, but the stats above look more and more like complete an utter nonsense the longer I look at them. Are we truly expected to believe that the 9 countries responsible for the most racial comments in relation to a football tournament are from countries that are not even entitled to participate in that tournament? Do we believe that any serious researcher would note the time that they did their research, but not the date? Do we believe that 1.7 million social media posts were analysed 'manually' - how many research assistants did they have? More than the world's covid labs combined by the looks of things. Do we trust a study whose own section on limitations contradicts itself as to whether they found all instances of abuse or not?

This has all the hallmarks of the sort of fake nonsense that is spread about to deliberately to infect the opinions of those unwilling or unable to engage in a bit of critical thinking. I strongly suspect that the underlying aim of those publishing this particular piece was to engender a world view where people in the UK believe they are less racist than Asians and Africans so that certain sections of the population can shrug their shoulders and say, 'we don't have to worry about racism, because we're not the problem. The real problem is over there'.

I really wish it hadn't been posted here (or anywhere else for that matter). Most of all, I really wish people would think carefully about the junk that they are reading on the internet before proliferating it.
    Are you on Twitter? Have you taken a look at what they call ‘FT’? 
  • Options
    I've not used my Twitter account for ages. No idea what FT is.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It’s football Twitter. Basically endless accounts set up by youngsters or immature adults called ‘Just_JorginhoCFC’ or ‘AmazingAuba’ etc. Dedicated to supporting one ‘EPL’ team or player and a huge amount of them are miles away in Asia or the Middle East, but bombard opposing accounts with abusive messages. I also noticed a large amount of posts on England’s media from footballing fans based in Africa, again mostly digging out certain individuals or the manager. This country certainly has a problem with racism and it needs addressing but just because the players are English, doesn’t mean the abuse is coming just from Middle Aged white men frothing at the mouth with a can in his hand. This is a world wide problem when it comes to social media.
    Sounds dreadful. One more reason to give Twitter a swerve.
  • Options
    BTW, I'm not denying that there is racism in other countries @ValleyGary or that people from other countries have an interest in English football. I am questioning the efficacy of the stats presented here and the motivations of their originators.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    In the USA it's illegal to drink in public...... out in the open while walking around streets and really only allowed in pubs restaurants and bars....That might be something to consider....and yes I know the USA has ridiculous gun laws 
    Not on the Las Vegas strip! 
    Or on golf courses, tailgates etc
    Nope, you don’t get those - golf courses are private property, tailgating also takes place in private areas. I’m only aware of two places where you can drink in a public area - LV and the French Quarter in New Orleans. There may be others, and sometimes the Police don’t enforce it. We have a local music festival here where the police ignore people drinking from cans, but if they need to arrest you for something else, you’ll be charged with public drinking as well. 

Someone else mentioned overserving. Bars here are really careful about that as they, as a business, and the bartender asan individual, can be held legally responsible if a drunk is involved in an accident. I see people getting refused service all the time. 

Stop the drinking in public areas would be a start. If people have to drink in pubs you can get two mitigating factors - price, and making pubs responsible for their customers conduct. 
    Ok fair enough. What about municipal golf courses tho. I’ve played and drunk at muni’s.
    They are still considered private property, even though they are owned by the town. 

Generally, and there can always be a local exemption, any public street, common, forest or beach is off limits unless it’s private property, in which case it’s up to the owner. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    BTW, I'm not denying that there is racism in other countries @ValleyGary or that people from other countries have an interest in English football. I am questioning the efficacy of the stats presented here and the motivations of their originators.
    @Stig you'd be very surprised using as an example the amount of racist abuse one of our U23 was sun Aouachia receives from Middle Eastern / Notth Africa accounts 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It’s football Twitter. Basically endless accounts set up by youngsters or immature adults called ‘Just_JorginhoCFC’ or ‘AmazingAuba’ etc. Dedicated to supporting one ‘EPL’ team or player and a huge amount of them are miles away in Asia or the Middle East, but bombard opposing accounts with abusive messages. I also noticed a large amount of posts on England’s media from footballing fans based in Africa, again mostly digging out certain individuals or the manager. This country certainly has a problem with racism and it needs addressing but just because the players are English, doesn’t mean the abuse is coming just from Middle Aged white men frothing at the mouth with a can in his hand. This is a world wide problem when it comes to social media.
    Few examples of Football Twitter
  • Options
    Stig said:
    @Stig you'd be very surprised using as an example the amount of racist abuse one of our U23 was sun Aouachia receives from Middle Eastern / Notth Africa accounts 
    I'm not massively surprised an Algerian receives racist abuse from others in North Africa and the Middle East, nor am I massively surprised by people thinking that what has flown since 10:54 on Sunday is all the works of troll farms. 
  • Options
    What’s the pengland thing?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It seems to be a troll thing on twitter... "Pessi" | "Penaldo" | "Pernandes" | "Pengland"

Think its some slur that suggests the person / team constantly relies upon penalties (not shootouts) to win games.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Stig said:
    I'm not massively surprised an Algerian receives racist abuse from others in North Africa and the Middle East, nor am I massively surprised by people thinking that what has flown since 10:54 on Sunday is all the works of troll farms. 
    Why not? We have had years of people saying that's the cause of all elections going the way they don't want... 
  • Options
    It seems to be a troll thing on twitter... "Pessi" | "Penaldo" | "Pernandes" | "Pengland"

Think its some slur that suggests the person / team constantly relies upon penalties (not shootouts) to win games.
    Oh ok thanks 
    thats quite (P)athetic.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Rothko said:
    Stig said:
    Why not? We have had years of people saying that's the cause of all elections going the way they don't want... 
    Because it's a fantastic excuse for those who don't want to deal with the issue to hide behind, and there is an awful lot of that on this thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Rothko said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rothko said:
    Stig said:
    Because it's a fantastic excuse for those who don't want to deal with the issue to hide behind, and there is an awful lot of that on this thread.
    I completely agree with you, I was asking why you are surprised though.