Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Impressive how well we are doing at swimming when you consider we only have 12 Olympic size pools, Australia has 47.
    The one they built and have since knocked down in Leeds was ment to be Olympic size but they completely ballsed it up.  I am actually suprised we have as many as 12 everything seemed so focused on Crystal Palace. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Impressive how well we are doing at swimming when you consider we only have 12 Olympic size pools, Australia has 47.
    The one they built and have since knocked down in Leeds was ment to be Olympic size but they completely ballsed it up.  I am actually suprised we have as many as 12 everything seemed so focused on Crystal Palace. 
    CP is about 1/2” short so all the records set there were annulled, I seem to remember reading somewhere. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CP is about 1/2” short so all the records set there were annulled, I seem to remember reading somewhere. 
    It seemed bloody long when I used to swim it! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Taking on the Argies now in the 7’s. Think they’ll be too quick for us.

Edit: 1st min try for GB!
  • Options
    5-5

Geezer for GB making mistakes for fun.
  • Options
    A real turnaround, as I remember at some previous Olympics when other sports were winning loads of medals, swimming was seen as a "weak link"
  • Options
    12-5 Arg at HT
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    17-12 Argentina

Shit ourselves in the final. Loads of mistakes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah terrible performance. 
  • Options
    Defences on top in the NZ vs Fiji game!
  • Options
    Fiji are way too good, superb performance.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CP isn't actually Olympic Size. Two of the 12 are at Stratford. I think after the disaster of '96 (seems a lifetime ago now, look where we are now!) They commented that we only had 4 or so in the UK, I think CP may have counted back then.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CP isn't actually Olympic Size. Two of the 12 are at Stratford. I think after the disaster of '96 (seems a lifetime ago now, look where we are now!) They commented that we only had 4 or so in the UK, I think CP may have counted back then.
    There are also the commonwealth games ones in Glasgow and manchester that weren't there before.

God knows how many there are in America, every college has one.

The replacement pool in Leeds is only 25 meters. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long_course_swimming_pools_in_the_United_Kingdom

Yes it's interesting how most of the OIympic Pools have only been opened this century. I assume the other 50m pools aren't wide enough to be classed as Olympic standard?
  • Options
    How do our rowers manage to go this far off course when they're supposed to be going in a straight line?

Post race comments from these highly trained pros who have spent the last five years practicing. I'm surprised the Italians haven't asked for a rematch.

'I forgot to steer'

'Thanks to the Lottery for the funding'
  • Options
    The rowing have done a Murray.

They bined the head coach who is majorly responsible for the medal factory when the games was pushed back a year and he wouldn't sign up for Paris.  He is in his 70s!
  • Options
    5-5

Geezer for GB making mistakes for fun.
    Just catching up, i think this line sums up the whole tourney. 

Other than against Canada (first game) we were too open, making far too many mistakes to have any chance. Looked good in spells or some good plays but ultimately not solid enough, deserved 4th place imo Argentina were better and again we sort of peaked the first game in my opinion, a good comeback against USA too. 

I woke up just before 3am, not intentionally tried to watch the New Zealand game live but wasn't on anywhere, tried BBC Player, live they were showing swimming semis and talking about other stuff and not covering a proper live event... really not happy with it. looks like if i had eurosport player i could have got it but still crazy semi final of one of the most exciting events and we were in it and choose not too show coverage live
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Lotty and Pumkin will be nailed on Gold in Paris 🤞🤞
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

They bined the head coach who is majorly responsible for the medal factory when the games was pushed back a year and he wouldn't sign up for Paris.  He is in his 70s!
    Is that the one who is coaching the Chinese team now? 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Is that the one who is coaching the Chinese team now? 
    No he has retired I think.  Jürgen Gröbler is his name.
  • Options
    Great achievement on a young horse. The problems with young horses, is that they tend to spend their time out with their mates on the piss, eating takeaways
    Can't be easy, having to eat relatives. 
  • Options
    I know we tend to ignore the men's football because it's not the proper national teams, but the under-24 format is proving quite a leveller and producing some unpredictable results. New Zealand through to the quarters this morning, and France currently losing a game they need to win by a couple of goals which may see Japan and Mexico qualify at their expense. Argentina also in trouble and may be out-qualified by Egypt or Australia.

Not that I wouldn't rather be seeing proper teams, like the women's tournament, of course.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I know we tend to ignore the men's football because it's not the proper national teams, but the under-24 format is proving quite a leveller and producing some unpredictable results. New Zealand through to the quarters this morning, and France currently losing a game they need to win by a couple of goals which may see Japan and Mexico qualify at their expense. Argentina also in trouble and may be out-qualified by Egypt or Australia.

Not that I wouldn't rather be seeing proper teams, like the women's tournament, of course.
    But then how much do the French care? The Euros (which finished less than a month ago) was their priority whereas for the Kiwis and the likes of Chris Wood, this is their only real chance of glory. Ditto Argentina who won the Copa America 3 weeks ago, the big one for them this summer
  • Options

Egypt currently winning 1-0; Australia only need one goal to advance though
  • Options
    Egypt 2-0 and going through. Spain need to hold on against Argentina, now 1-1 there.
  • Options
    FT 1-1 Spain Argentina. Argentina out, Spain through with Egypt.

France losing 2-0 to hosts Japan.