Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    @KBslittlesis I assume you'll be celebrating the Irish rowing lads from Skibereen getting gold in the lightweight double skulls? I'm looking forward to seeing the post race interview, as if I remember rightly their one at the last Olympics was pretty epic.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    aliwibble said:
    @KBslittlesis I assume you'll be celebrating the Irish rowing lads from Skibereen getting gold in the lightweight double skulls? I'm looking forward to seeing the post race interview, as if I remember rightly their one at the last Olympics was pretty epic.
    The brothers have split, it was Paul that won 🥇 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Poor Pedri must’ve played around 600 games the past calendar year…
    The previous round, I think, was his 67th game of the season and 45th of the year. 
    That’s insane for a 17 year old.
    He's 19 in November but completely agree it's too much.

Koeman was furious that he was called up for this so soon after the Euro's.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    "This could potentially be catastrophic news for the Australian team, with all 63 track and field athletes being tested and nervously awaiting results. To recap, the athletics starts in less than 24 hours so there is not much time" 

The whole Australian athletics team........

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    "This could potentially be catastrophic news for the Australian team, with all 63 track and field athletes being tested and nervously awaiting results. To recap, the athletics starts in less than 24 hours so there is not much time" 

So their entire team is in lockdown because of a close contact with an American who has tested positive. But what about the US team?

Seems a bit of an overkill. I can't believe all 63 Aussie athletes were that close to 1 American?
  • Options
    #defundtherowing
  • Options
    "The Covid-19 athletics crisis has worsened with news Argentine pole vaulter Germán Chiaraviglio has also tested positive and is consequently ruled out of competition."
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

So their entire team is in lockdown because of a close contact with an American who has tested positive. But what about the US team?

Seems a bit of an overkill. I can't believe all 63 Aussie athletes were that close to 1 American?
    "Fortunately" it's now just 3 Aussie athletes who were in contact with him, and having to isolate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    #defundtherowing
    Behind the Irish in the rowing medal table...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The previous round, I think, was his 67th game of the season and 45th of the year. 
    Former Arsenal, Leeds, P***ce, Southampton, Man City…etc goalkeeper Stuart Taylor made 75 senior appearances…

In his entire 21 year career.
    😳
  • Options
    Very disappointed not to wake up to more gold medals this morning 
  • Options
    GB mullering the Black Ferns at the moment 
  • Options
    21:12 at HT after being 21:0 up at one point
  • Options
    🤐
  • Options
    oh dear
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Just spent all morning watching/listening to the reaction to their epic win.
    As Paul said, they whole of Skibbereen will be full of Porter they’ll have to row through it. After he gets the back hand off his Mammy that is 🤣🤣

Such lovely lads.

The craic will be mighty when they get home 🥇🥇💚💚

Delighted for them, and the womens 4 the night before. We don't win a lot of medals, this was only our 10th gold ever, and 3 of those belong to Michelle Smith from Atlanta and are tainted so we don't talk about them much.
    Paul O'Donovans achievements over the last 5 or so years firmly make him Irelands greatest ever sportsman. Hes won the Olympic Gold and Silver, 4 World Golds, 2 European Golds and 2 Silvers. The only person you could rank ahead of him is Katie Taylor who has a similar haul and is the face of Womans boxing.
    Whats incredible is that rowing isn't a sport we've traditionally had a lot of success in, but its become one of the three you feel confident about now along with Boxing and Equestrian, and a lot of that is down to a single rowing club in Skibb. Both rowers last night, and one of the 4 from the night before as KB points out are from this small town in West Cork.
    Spare a thought for Pauls brother Gary. Olympic Silver in Rio, he lost his place in the boat to Fintan since, but was in Tokyo as a sub. Apparently once it became apparent he wouldn't be in the boat at any point he had to be sent home, I assume due to covid restrictions and it sounds like he was on a plane during the race last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    aliwibble said:
    As Paul said, they whole of Skibbereen will be full of Porter they’ll have to row through it. After he gets the back hand off his Mammy that is 🤣🤣

Such lovely lads.

Spare a thought for Pauls brother Gary. Olympic Silver in Rio, he lost his place in the boat to Fintan since, but was in Tokyo as a sub. Apparently once it became apparent he wouldn't be in the boat at any point he had to be sent home, I assume due to covid restrictions and it sounds like he was on a plane during the race last night.
    Under water? Cool!

Epic win and they interviewed really well. Delighted for them.
  • Options
    I love watching gymnastics, but I don't understand why the coach steps in and out during their routine during a big move on the bars? it happens for the men too. 

a> they're pro gymnasts and falling is unlikely (as i typed this I'm watching it and the girl fell off the bars but the coach wasn't close)
    b> does the coach get in the way of the judge scoring the routine either in line of sight or distracting them knowing that a big move is coming up? 
    c> the coach doesn't get close enough to catch them even if they did fall? 
    d> they have big mats underneath them - why not just get softer mats to cushion any fall if there is a risk of injury to neck or head - a coach underneath them has it's own hazards!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    el-pietro said:
    aliwibble said:

Such lovely lads.

Delighted for them, and the womens 4 the night before. We don't win a lot of medals, this was only our 10th gold ever, and 3 of those belong to Michelle Smith from Atlanta and are tainted so we don't talk about them much.
    Paul O'Donovans achievements over the last 5 or so years firmly make him Irelands greatest ever sportsman. Hes won the Olympic Gold and Silver, 4 World Golds, 2 European Golds and 2 Silvers. The only person you could rank ahead of him is Katie Taylor who has a similar haul and is the face of Womans boxing.
    Whats incredible is that rowing isn't a sport we've traditionally had a lot of success in, but its become one of the three you feel confident about now along with Boxing and Equestrian, and a lot of that is down to a single rowing club in Skibb. Both rowers last night, and one of the 4 from the night before as KB points out are from this small town in West Cork.
    Really feel for the reserve rowers Gary & Lydia (we’re good friends with her Mum) who were both sent home once it was confirmed they weren’t needed. Seems awfully harsh imho.
    Dominic Casey the rowing coach has to take some huge credit. He has performed miracles with the kids at Skibbereen rowing club. 
    The town was buzzing before, it’ll be off the scale now 🤩🤩🤣🤣🥇🥇🥉🥉🥉🥉💚

I'll leave the explanation of shifting to someone else...

Safe to say, the same cannot be said for my town in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    That’s insane for a 17 year old.
    He's 19 in November but completely agree it's too much.

Koeman was furious that he was called up for this so soon after the Euro's

Going from 17 to 19 is cruel.
    Pedri is an awesome talent and having his 18th birthday taken away and not having his glass of Sangria and a big party is a shame  :o

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    aliwibble said:

Such lovely lads.

Really feel for the reserve rowers Gary & Lydia (we’re good friends with her Mum) who were both sent home once it was confirmed they weren’t needed. Seems awfully harsh imho.
    Dominic Casey the rowing coach has to take some huge credit. He has performed miracles with the kids at Skibbereen rowing club. 
    The town was buzzing before, it’ll be off the scale now 🤩🤩🤣🤣🥇🥇🥉🥉🥉🥉💚

I'll leave the explanation of shifting to someone else...

Safe to say, the same cannot be said for my town in Northern Ireland.
    I reckon there’ll be a fair bit of shifting alright once they’re home fair play 😜😘😘🤩🤩👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
     I watched the Rowing live and GB's grabbing 4th from the jaws of 3rd in a few races. 
    Really pleased for @KBslittlesis and the ROI guys I've met over the years; enjoy the craic as splitting the brothers up appeared harsh originally but Paul O' Donovan and Fintan  McCarthy were the World Champions and now are the Olympic Gold medalists.
    Praise to Gary O'Donovan who is a great rower and Fintan's brother who is none too shabby.

Superb feel good story about the Skibbereen Rowing club.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    When I was in Dublin I noticed there were no decent sized boats on the Liffey, then I noticed all the bridges were extremely low, low enough to prevent any kind of commercial activity.  In fact if you wanted to go down the river you'd have to go by canoe or kayak.  If this is the same all over Ireland?  :| If so it might explain where all these rowers are coming from.  
  • Options
    In volleyball, why does one player wear a different colour top to the rest of the team?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    In volleyball, why does one player wear a different colour top to the rest of the team?
    https://getthepancake.com/drills-and-tips/what-does-a-libero-do-in-volleyball