Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    We scored 3 goals, that should be enough to win most games. It was like the Charlton side last winter, when we let in goals for fun, and had to score 3 to win matches
  • Options
    Going to a tournament with only one goal scorer was always going to be a big ask. Ellen White might be in with a shout of the golden boot without getting beyond the second round. 

To be fair to GB, the Aussies did get a draw off the USA and anyone who can do that is a decent side.
    Why didn't Kirby play more? A regular for the Chelsea side that won the league and reached the CL final.
    Injured she played today to get "minutes".

White can't get the golden Boot because one of the Dutch girls already has 8.
  • Options
    We scored 3 goals, that should be enough to win most games. It was like the Charlton side last winter, when we let in goals for fun, and had to score 3 to win matches
    Agreed, but I thought they said that before this game, GB had conceded the least?
  • Options
    In other news, who would have bet that a grandniece of an Irish Taoiseach would win two silvers in swimming for Hong Kong, immediately becoming HK's record-holding medallist (though, as she has pulled out of the 50m freestyle, she can't win any more this Games)?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Going to a tournament with only one goal scorer was always going to be a big ask. Ellen White might be in with a shout of the golden boot without getting beyond the second round. 

To be fair to GB, the Aussies did get a draw off the USA and anyone who can do that is a decent side.
    Why didn't Kirby play more? A regular for the Chelsea side that won the league and reached the CL final.

Miedema scored again today and now has 10 in this Olympics. Incredible record, 83 goals in 100 caps and still only 25 years old.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Miedema scored again today and now has 10 in this Olympics. Incredible record, 83 goals in 100 caps and still only 25 years old.
    After watching Zambia the other day, I’ll take that record with a pinch of salt 
  • Options
    This mixed relay is bizarre 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Watching it back on iplayer, looks a great concept and the tactics of how you mix the team
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It does seem to be the trend at this Olympics.
  • Options
    It's not often you see an intersex race the Nigerian team tactics made it more intresting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Watching it back on iplayer, looks a great concept and the tactics of how you mix the team
    There was also a similar race on the swimming, yesterday.
  • Options
    I'm a supporter of all football including Women's football, but the defending which left Kerr totally free by experienced defenders: Bronze, Houghton, Bright, Williamson etc with two minutes to go was shocking by professional footballers and I feel so gutted that yet again Ellen White does her Job by scoring a hatful of goals and not one defender can mark Kerr who scored for fun for Chelsea last season. She had been quiet all game until the 87th minute when GB snatched a draw from the jaws of victory by going AWOL and marking no one. Such a weird game where we did the Cafc thing of hitting the post 3 times before the Aussies scored with their first chance from a set piece.

Vivianne Miedema is a fantastic Striker and Zambia are the equivalent of San Marino.
    Many English players had their stats boosted by that encounter.
  • Options
    I'm a supporter of all football including Women's football, but the defending which left Kerr totally free by experienced defenders: Bronze, Houghton, Bright, Williamson etc with two minutes to go was shocking by professional footballers and I feel so gutted that yet again Ellen White does her Job by scoring a hatful of goals and not one defender can mark Kerr who scored for fun for Chelsea last season. She had been quiet all game until the 87th minute when GB snatched a draw from the jaws of victory by going AWOL and marking no one. Such a weird game where we did the Cafc thing of hitting the post 3 times before the Aussies scored with their first chance from a set piece.

Vivianne Miedema is a fantastic Striker and Zambia are the equivalent of San Marino.
    I just looked at Zambia’s results. They’re one of the best teams in Africa and even beat Chile in a friendly recently. They are not the equivalent of San Marino and it’s not a great look for women’s football when they’re conceding 10 in a ‘major’ tournament.
  • Options

I just looked at Zambia’s results. They’re one of the best teams in Africa and even beat Chile in a friendly recently. They are not the equivalent of San Marino and it’s not a great look for women’s football when they’re conceding 10 in a ‘major’ tournament.

Ok Zambia aren't San Marino but no match for the European professionals.

World cup semi Final 2014
    Brazil 1 Germany 7

Did you say that was a bad look for Men's football ?
    From memory Germany declared some time after HT.
  • Options

Ok Zambia aren't San Marino but no match for the European professionals.

World cup semi Final 2014
    Brazil 1 Germany 7

Did you say that was a bad look for Men's football ?
    From memory Germany declared some time after HT.
    A freak result I’m sure you’ll agree. Holland’s recent games they’ve scored 7, 10, 8. I’m not trying to mug women’s football off here, I’ve enjoyed watching the GB girls apart from today, but the problem is there a small amount of good teams and the rest are woeful. I hope over time the gap is made smaller.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Mixed Triathlon currently on. We are 2/5 to win gold in running.

Quite enjoying the new mixed events.
  • Options

The 4x100 running earlier was great watching. Can't remember who it was, think maybe Nigeria mixing it up with the order? Made for brilliant viewing.
  • Options
    BMX amazing. Just caught up on iplayer. Shriver was amazing you could see her growing into the gold medal in each round.

I think Whyte gave her strength by getting a fantastic silver. What a team

Proud.

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

The 4x100 running earlier was great watching. Can't remember who it was, think maybe Nigeria mixing it up with the order? Made for brilliant viewing.
    Yeah 4x400m was Nigeria. I felt so sorry for her, the gap in speed and power was ridiculous.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Yeah 4x400m was Nigeria. I felt so sorry for her, the gap in speed and power was ridiculous.
    That final leg really showed how much faster the men are, I’m not sure that’s a positive for women’s sport...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

That final leg really showed how much faster the men are, I’m not sure that’s a positive for women’s sport...
    Thing is we are striving for equality and everyone runs the same distance, so there can’t be much to pull it up on. If the women runners are happy with the concept then crack on.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

It was really interesting seeing men run against a woman and see what the gap really looks like. Final tomorrow lunch time, Ireland probably don't have a medal shout but happy to see another Irish finalist. 
    I'm really enjoying the trailathon relay though I jumped in late and did not understand how many athletes were in each team. Gonna be a tight finish for the top 3 here. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Loving this mixed triathlon, we've blown the lead but the French athlete must surely have tired himself a bit by going so hard on the swim and cycle. I'm no expert but thought Jonny Brownlee should have been on the final leg. 
  • Options
    French guy very impressive. Hoping Alex Yee can outdo him in the run.
  • Options
    No way the french guy can run 2000m the same pace as Yee. 
  • Options
    French guy very impressive. Hoping Alex Yee can outdo him in the run.
    Yee was a 10km runner so surely one of the best runners in the field, but it's a 2km run, no idea who is the quickest. 
  • Options
    Some transition by Yee, could be the difference. All over for me. 
  • Options
    Streaking away, just got to keep it up for another 1500m
  • Options
    French man done his beans 
  • Options
    Yee is incredibly impressive, hopefully he can finish here.