Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Argentina, France and Germany all packing their bags and going home. The Spaniards flying the flag for Europe on their own.

Unless there is a big turn around in the last 20 minutes, football QF will be:

Japan v New Zealand

Spain v Ivory Coast

South Korea v Mexico

Brazil v Egypt
  • Options
    Watching the men’s gymnastics is astounding.
    There are two Russian fellas who, when performing the crucifix on the rings, point their fingers.
    Which literally means their palms are flat on the rings.

How on earth??? 😳😳😳😳😳😳
  • Options
    Argentina, France and Germany all packing their bags and going home. The Spaniards flying the flag for Europe on their own.

Unless there is a big turn around in the last 20 minutes, football QF will be:

Japan v New Zealand

Spain v Ivory Coast

South Korea v Mexico

Brazil v Egypt
    A few manager will be cursing their players are still involved, especially the Spanish ones
  • Options
    I know we tend to ignore the men's football because it's not the proper national teams, but the under-24 format is proving quite a leveller and producing some unpredictable results. New Zealand through to the quarters this morning, and France currently losing a game they need to win by a couple of goals which may see Japan and Mexico qualify at their expense. Argentina also in trouble and may be out-qualified by Egypt or Australia.

Not that I wouldn't rather be seeing proper teams, like the women's tournament, of course.
    I think its down to the TV coverage, i have barely seen it on live on BBC. I haven't searched it via any other channel but have seen the odd thing flick up on betting or social media. Although i am missing footy at the moment just haven't even bothered here. 
  • Options
    Poor Pedri must’ve played around 600 games the past calendar year…
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Incredible effort by  Hashimoto, knowing that a decent score on the high bar would win him the gold AND make him a national hero
  • Options
    I know we tend to ignore the men's football because it's not the proper national teams, but the under-24 format is proving quite a leveller and producing some unpredictable results. New Zealand through to the quarters this morning, and France currently losing a game they need to win by a couple of goals which may see Japan and Mexico qualify at their expense. Argentina also in trouble and may be out-qualified by Egypt or Australia.

Not that I wouldn't rather be seeing proper teams, like the women's tournament, of course.
    I think its down to the TV coverage, i have barely seen it on live on BBC. I haven't searched it via any other channel but have seen the odd thing flick up on betting or social media. Although i am missing footy at the moment just haven't even bothered here. 
    Eurosport have been showing a proportion of the games. BBC have only been showing the GB Women games, and even then the third game was only on the radio. As the BBC can only show 2 sports at any one time, under their contract, I guess it's fair enough that they drop the football when there's a GB athlete competing in some minority sport who won't get a chance to be on TV until the next Olympics.
  • Options
    The previous round, I think, was his 67th game of the season and 45th of the year. 
  • Options

Eurosport have been showing a proportion of the games. BBC have only been showing the GB Women games, and even then the third game was only on the radio. As the BBC can only show 2 sports at any one time, under their contract, I guess it's fair enough that they drop the football when there's a GB athlete competing in some minority sport who won't get a chance to be on TV until the next Olympics.
    Thank you , i didn't know they can only show 2 sports at one time. In fairness i haven't been looking on eurosport, kind of forget its on there and only this morning tried as couldn't find the 7's, maybe i need to keep an eye out as i have been moaning already i am missing footy (a week after Euros, i must be mental) 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The previous round, I think, was his 67th game of the season and 45th of the year. 
    "season" almost doesn't seem long enough to describe someone who played in the Euros and the Olympics, as he will have had no down time at all before the next season starts  :o
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    9 channels of Eurosport showing on virgin. Don’t know about sky 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    That’s insane for a 17 year old.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    nope we get 2, never heard Virgin gets that many
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Bugger I missed those ones after the standard and HD channels. Starts on 537.
  • Options
    Can't say I was over excited by that 3x3 Basketball
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Another example of 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    At the current rate he will over take Ryan Inniss by Christmas. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It took me a while to realise that if you, like me, want to pick their preferred sport to watch, Eurosport is the channel. They have 9 channels, all showing a different Olympic sport. Goodbye BBC. Special thanks to the Dressage for persuading me to investigate what else I could watch.
  • Options
    Incredible effort by  Hashimoto, knowing that a decent score on the high bar would win him the gold AND make him a national hero
    The Japanese have been getting a lot of favourable referee bias, especially in gymnastics. Having watched various kinds of sports in the past few days, I think some sports simply aren't judged as objectively as the others, especially those that involve a group of referees giving scores :/ The most fair and equal sports are shooting, track and field, swimming, rowing etc. which obviously are simpler and where you rarely see controversial refereeing decisions...
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    The Japanese have been getting a lot of favourable referee bias, especially in gymnastics. Having watched various kinds of sports in the past few days, I think some sports simply aren't judged as objectively as the others, especially those that involve a group of referees giving scores :/ The most fair and equal sports are shooting, track and field, swimming, rowing etc. which obviously are simpler and where you rarely see controversial refereeing decisions...
    Although the South African TMO on Saturday who I think may have over compensated!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Bugger I missed those ones after the standard and HD channels. Starts on 537.
    Me too ffs, they are pretty hidden. I bet i might have been able to watch the 7s after all that drama this morning :( well at least i know now, never realised there was more than 2 Eurosport channels lol 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Jessie said:
    You probably wouldn't have that opinion if you weren't absorbing Chinese media. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    First item on look North tonight....

No medals for Yorkshire today but some others did OK 😂😂
    "Some posh southern lass won a bronze after she and her horse ponced about to some music"
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    First item on look North tonight....

No medals for Yorkshire today but some others did OK 😂😂
    "Some posh southern lass won a bronze after she and her horse ponced about to some music"
    You did alreet lass but thee is not Harvey Smith are thee lass? 
  • Options
    It took me a while to realise that if you, like me, want to pick their preferred sport to watch, Eurosport is the channel. They have 9 channels, all showing a different Olympic sport. Goodbye BBC. Special thanks to the Dressage for persuading me to investigate what else I could watch.
    It's not the BBC's fault, the IOC (or their media rights arm) sold the UK TV rights to The Discovery Channel and they sold on a package to the BBC with the proviso that the BBC is limited to two live sports at any one time.  Next time, even those two might be on, say, C4, so you'll get them with adverts.  Oh, yippee.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Jessie said:
    You probably wouldn't have that opinion if you weren't absorbing the horribly biased Chinese media and social media and their vehement hatred of the Japanese.
    Or maybe Jessie knows enough about gymnastics to make her own mind up?  The Chinese in the diving that Tom Daley and his mate one has some judgements that weren't influenced in any way whatsoever by them being the world No. 1 pair, oh nor, siree, not at all.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Jessie said:
    You probably wouldn't have that opinion if you weren't absorbing the horribly biased Chinese media and social media and their vehement hatred of the Japanese.
    Of course I'm not. I posted that without reading anything on Chinese social media. You missed the point. I made an observation which is about the different levels of fairness/objectiveness in sports. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    OK. What you wrote was
    '"The Japanese have been getting a lot of favourable referee bias'"

Heve you seen other reports of bias towards Japan? 

Would you say that Chinese State media is:
    A Neutral towards Japan's Olympics
    B Positive or
    C Negative?

Would you say Chinese social media is A B or C?