Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sandgaard flying over to spend 2 weeks in UK, including the Sheffield Wednesday game. 

Is USA on the green list?
    He probably falls into one of the many exempt categories.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I gather this wasn't a full strength Reading team. Nonetheless, we played pretty well. Morgan was decent as our playmaker but needs to deliver better set pieces imo. Clare and Mac looked good. I thought Davison had a good game and ought to be just fine in third tier. Washington rampaged well and DJ was probably our most exciting player although their goal scorer, Ejaria,  was probably the best player on the pitch. Nice to see old Morro again. What a plum Roland was for letting him go!
  • Options
    Love listening to Jacko.
    Thought exactly the same. CAFC manager in waiting.
  • Options
    What level of outrage are we at?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Zero, you? 
  • Options
    It was interesting to see more of Deji Elerewe. He looks a terrific prospect with echoes of Rio Ferdinand about him. What I did feel was a development point in the games I saw him play last season was how he defended against players attacking him directly. I thought the Reading goal was an example of this. It is something I'm sure will get addressed and then we have something really special on our hands, but I'm not sure he is ready just now. He ought to start the pizza cup and league cup games for the experience.
  • Options
    I should add, playing next to Pearce. I would make him a project for Pearce and pay him a bit more to take responsibility for developing him. The elements he needs, Pearce has. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched Albie take part in the shooting practice against Welling. He was trying to absolutely leather and larrup it each time and by the 4th just yelling 'fackkkkkkkk'.

For me it's his technique in striking the ball that needs addressing, rather than him being unlucky in not hitting that particular ball in the 'top bins' via the laces.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Everybody misses from time to time, but he has missed a few shot opportunities too often. Something needs addressing. I don't think it is limited by his talent so it is worth Adkins solving this. I really feel confidence is a big factor and maybe he is trying too hard.

And in the context that he has done well so far in pre-season. It is that next jump. He should be aspiring to be our player of the year next season.
  • Options
    Everybody misses from time to time, but he has missed a few shot opportunities too often. Something needs addressing. I don't think it is limited by his talent so it is worth Adkins solving this. I really feel confidence is a big factor and maybe he is trying too hard.

And in the context that he has done well so far in pre-season. It is that next jump. He should be aspiring to be our player of the year next season.
    I really like Morgan, but I would be concerned if he was our playmaker this season on current form.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I would be concerned if he doesn't make the next step up and fulfil his potential. It isn't a given that he will so you are right. My point is that I think he can. If he gets into that mode, he will pick himself and probably be better than anybody we can realistically buy. I think we have to find his blue touch paper and light it and hope there is the gunpowder we think there is in him. 
  • Options
    Morgan looked good but I think this is a make or break season for him. The shot he missed was not a tap in, but if he is going to be the player we think he can be, he needs to score it. The passes he makes show vision, but he needs to find his man about 10% more often. I say this not as a criticism, because I think he has the game. I suspect the final step for him is confidence. I am the best player on the pitch, I am going to be clinical, I have vision and accuracy etc... 

This is pre-season, but I am seeing what he can be and I get the feeling we need to see that this season. And we may well do.

I thought the same last season but THIS season, this is actually the one for him to step up and take his chance otherwise I fear he'll just drift into being a squad player for us. There's definitely a player in there somewhere and think Bowyer probably set him back a bit with his criticisms the last couple of seasons. Hope he can do a Luke Shaw this year.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Select Car Leasing Stadium.

The shame of that name. My God! They deserve to get relegated.
  • Options
    Sandgaard flying over to spend 2 weeks in UK, including the Sheffield Wednesday game. 

Is USA on the green list?
    He probably falls into one of the many exempt categories.
    Bollocks to those then ........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn’t watch the game but looking at the line-up and subs and those missing we are about six to seven players short in my opinion.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Might be a whoosh, but just in case. The team today don’t deserve any outrage put against them. We were on top for first 20 minutes and then a lot of the second half. All against a club who finished 7th in Championship last season. 
    I can confirm a whoosh.
  • Options
    Nothing to really complain about,good performance,everybody got a game of sorts,and to me ,whatever 11 is on the pitch,there is a togetherness that was not there most of last season.Stand outs,DJ could run riot,Morgan and Washington,both tireless ,Davison continues to improve,very good hold up play,won lots in the air.Two slight concerns,Famewo got caught on the ball a couple of times in dodgy positions,Dobson had a good game,but,allowed players  past him too easily,especiallly for their goal,when he was beaten and then just stood and watched as the guy went on his merry way.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Nothing to really complain about,good performance,everybody got a game of sorts,and to me ,whatever 11 is on the pitch,there is a togetherness that was not there most of last season.Stand outs,DJ could run riot,Morgan and Washington,both tireless ,Davison continues to improve,very good hold up play,won lots in the air.Two slight concerns,Famewo got caught on the ball a couple of times in dodgy positions,Dobson had a good game,but,allowed players  past him too easily,especiallly for their goal,when he was beaten and then just stood and watched as the guy went on his merry way.
     For me Deji should have got a foot in there too. Rather than going for a leisurely stroll with him.
  • Options
    Yeah that was some U18's defending there, giving him that much space in the box. I'm sure he'll learn from that. 
  • Options
    Yes the goal we conceded was a series of very soft defending from a few players really. Would also have to give some credit to their player who was able to skip around our players with ease. Thankfully there's not too many like him in league one. 
  • Options
    To be fair Ajaria? I can say it but not spell it could / maybe should be playing in the premier league if he was a bit more consistent, I thought he would be running rings around our defenders. And yes he did in that instance, but overall I think we did ok.
  • Options
    Told you I couldn’t spell it right!

• Options
    To be fair Ajaria? I can say it but not spell it could / maybe should be playing in the premier league if he was a bit more consistent, I thought he would be running rings around our defenders. And yes he did in that instance, but overall I think we did ok.
    I hadn’t realised until after the game he was previously at Liverpool and went to Reading for over £3m. Impressed that we limited him to the one goal after reading that