Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading v Charlton PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I watched Albie take part in the shooting practice against Welling. He was trying to absolutely leather and larrup it each time and by the 4th just yelling 'fackkkkkkkk'.

For me it's his technique in striking the ball that needs addressing, rather than him being unlucky in not hitting that particular ball in the 'top bins' via the laces.
    Technique and composure lacking.
    In fact our shooting from distance generally is woeful.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Didnt watch the stream as by the time I got back with the shopping & unpacked it all it was half time. Had a bite to eat & then had to go to the hospital to pick up a replacement insulin pen for my youngest.

Golfie Jnr watched it & said 2nd half better than the first & showed me the goals. Am I the only one who thinks Ghandour should have hit it with his left, due to the ball coming across him. 

Still think we need a proper striker. Relying on Davison wont cut the mustard I'm afraid. Also still convinced the plan is to use the yoof rather than bring in experienced players. Saw Roddy at Welling and wasn't impressed but Deji mk 2 & Claydon ok.
    I think Ghandour does beautifully here.  You can see that he consciously opts to use his right.

Why?  Because it makes the eventual finish into the right-hand post very simple.  He also had the option of hitting it back across the goalkeeper, but the 'keeper is not central and would probably have kept that type of shot out.

The left foot shot to the right-hand post?  Bit a hook, I would say, so less easy to control.

The only downside of Ghandour opting for his right foot was that it gave the 'keeper slightly more time to scramble across goal.  But the judgement was correct based on the fact that the ball ended up in the net.

All of this went through Ghandour's head (instinctively) as Clayden's cross came over. 

Quite good, I would say.
    It was one of those straightforward finishes that a lot miss.
    Agree, it looked like a simple straightforward finish, i'm sure we have all seen so many "simple" finishes missed, but he took it so calmly, and made it look easier than it was, real prospect I feel.
  • Options
    Nothing to really complain about,good performance,everybody got a game of sorts,and to me ,whatever 11 is on the pitch,there is a togetherness that was not there most of last season.Stand outs,DJ could run riot,Morgan and Washington,both tireless ,Davison continues to improve,very good hold up play,won lots in the air.Two slight concerns,Famewo got caught on the ball a couple of times in dodgy positions,Dobson had a good game,but,allowed players  past him too easily,especiallly for their goal,when he was beaten and then just stood and watched as the guy went on his merry way.
    TBF the Reading winger who scored, Ejaria ...... came up with something special there with his run across the box, begging for a penalty by wrongfooting defenders naturally wary of bringing him down.

Of course, we would say it should have been better defended, but credit to the Reading player for his initiative, determination and individual brilliance.

Our own players, those capable like DJ for example, should try this kind of run in the box. At the very least it would buy us more penalties awarded.
    Defenders' nightmare to defend.

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Didnt watch the stream as by the time I got back with the shopping & unpacked it all it was half time. Had a bite to eat & then had to go to the hospital to pick up a replacement insulin pen for my youngest.

Golfie Jnr watched it & said 2nd half better than the first & showed me the goals. Am I the only one who thinks Ghandour should have hit it with his left, due to the ball coming across him. 

Still think we need a proper striker. Relying on Davison wont cut the mustard I'm afraid. Also still convinced the plan is to use the yoof rather than bring in experienced players. Saw Roddy at Welling and wasn't impressed but Deji mk 2 & Claydon ok.
    I think Ghandour does beautifully here.  You can see that he consciously opts to use his right.

Why?  Because it makes the eventual finish into the right-hand post very simple.  He also had the option of hitting it back across the goalkeeper, but the 'keeper is not central and would probably have kept that type of shot out.

The left foot shot to the right-hand post?  Bit a hook, I would say, so less easy to control.

The only downside of Ghandour opting for his right foot was that it gave the 'keeper slightly more time to scramble across goal.  But the judgement was correct based on the fact that the ball ended up in the net.

All of this went through Ghandour's head (instinctively) as Clayden's cross came over. 

Quite good, I would say.
    Agree, it looked like a simple straightforward finish, i'm sure we have all seen so many "simple" finishes missed, but he took it so calmly, and made it look easier than it was, real prospect I feel.
    Yep, Ghandour was decisive and composed. I like to see that in a striker.

A lot of players running in would have blasted it and the ball could have gone anywhere.
    Full marks to Ghandour. Proper strikers' instinct to keep it simple and just put it firmly in the net.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

Quite good, I would say.
    What type of player is Ghandour?

Clayden is clearly a pacey winger in the style of Doughty. Davison has the potential to be a decent hold up striker. I haven’t seen enough of Ghandour to get what he’s about.

From the very limited time I’ve seen him he looks to me like a poacher playing out wide, presumably not physical enough to play the main striker role. He doesn’t look like he can take players on in the way Clayden can. For those who have seen him is he mainly a goalscorer or does he also create chances for others?

I agree that he took his goal well, but playing in one of those wide roles in the first team will require a bit more than being a good finisher and getting in the right positions.
  • Options
    We had visitors so I only caught several mins at end of first half just after Reading had scored. We looked good for the most part. I was particularly impressed by a bursting run from Adam Matthews. Him coming off the back of a full pre season with us could be a revelation. 

Overall encouraging. I hope we can hold our own v Fulham and Palace too.
  • Options
    Davison might hustle and bustle, but offers very little else.

It's just one clip but 2.45 is where we need him to attack and have attempts on goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD1Oew6CQ9I

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Nothing to really complain about,good performance,everybody got a game of sorts,and to me ,whatever 11 is on the pitch,there is a togetherness that was not there most of last season.Stand outs,DJ could run riot,Morgan and Washington,both tireless ,Davison continues to improve,very good hold up play,won lots in the air.Two slight concerns,Famewo got caught on the ball a couple of times in dodgy positions,Dobson had a good game,but,allowed players  past him too easily,especiallly for their goal,when he was beaten and then just stood and watched as the guy went on his merry way.
    TBF the Reading winger who scored, Ejaria ...... came up with something special there with his run across the box, begging for a penalty by wrongfooting defenders naturally wary of bringing him down.

Of course, we would say it should have been better defended, but credit to the Reading player for his initiative, determination and individual brilliance.

Our own players, those capable like DJ for example, should try this kind of run in the box. At the very least it would buy us more penalties awarded.

Very difficult for defenders in this situation,slightest touch and the forward goes down,just thought that once beaten,Dobson looked transfixed and maybe should have run across the area to perhaps restrict the shooting opportunity.Wouldnt think we will come up against players as good as this too often in league 1.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Although Jacko in his post-match interview said he was very pleased with Davison, who'd worked hard and did what he was asked to do.  Playing up front on his own, he was a handful for the 2 Reading centre backs. He's off ball work was effective and created space for our attacking play. Yet there was very little service to him, was there?

The clip you mention, the cross from DJ, seemed just a little too high IMO.

Anyway, if his management team are pleased with him, then he's been doing things right.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Very difficult for defenders in this situation,slightest touch and the forward goes down,just thought that once beaten,Dobson looked transfixed and maybe should have run across the area to perhaps restrict the shooting opportunity.Wouldnt think we will come up against players as good as this too often in league 1.
    Yep, I'd agree with that. To me it seemed Dobson was wrongfooted as Ejaria danced across him, backed up by the way he lunged afterwards to try and block the shot.

Put yourself perhaps in Dobson's situation there, knowing he couldn't just lunge in, as he may have done outside the box.
    But agree, Ejaria is a tricky and very capable player and there are not so many like him in Division One.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:

Although Jacko in his post-match interview said he was very pleased with Davison, who'd worked hard and did what he was asked to do.  Playing up front on his own, he was a handful for the 2 Reading centre backs. He's off ball work was effective and created space for our attacking play. Yet there was very little service to him, was there?

Anyway, if his management team are pleased with him, then he's been doing things right.

I do like the chap and was surprised he wasn't used for a few games last season seeing as he played ok in the level above. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:

I do like the chap and was surprised he wasn't used for a few games last season seeing as he played ok in the level above. 
    I guess once Thomas took over and the transfer embargo lifted, with the glut of new late signings including Bogle who played up front with Washington or Aneke, it was thought best to send him out for experience. 

He must have impressed at Woking though, because he next got a step up to League 2 with promotion chasing Forest Green coming in for him as cover for their big striker. Their big striker was scoring goals and never got injured, so opportunity for Davison was limited in that role, so FGR used him often from the bench to run the channels!

I reckon though it's going to be a make or break year for Davison's Charlton career.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:

He might genuinely have felt Davison did well, but Jacko is hardly the sort of guy to slag off players in public, and probably not in private as the assistant is often there to be the "good cop" with a consoling word to the "bad cop" who is the manager
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Jessie said:
    Where’s the link, please?
    https://live.cafc.co.uk/
    Better picture on Reading’s YouTube but no commentary.

https://youtu.be/kxd5MjxBwyI
    Thanks for that, just watched without knowing the score
  • Options
    Reading so I’m told by my son finished 7th in the championship, we finished 7th in a division below, I thought we’d let in a few more goals than we did.

I know it was ‘a meaningless friendly’ only useful really for fitness, I thought we grew into the game, and hope we can keep pushing and developing our youngsters.
  • Options
    Roddy doesn’t look or move like an athlete. We can’t go into the season with him at left back. 
    I thought this, his running looks awkward
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Quite good, I would say.
    What type of player is Ghandour?

Go see. Go see Ghandour  ;)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Roddy doesn’t look or move like an athlete. We can’t go into the season with him at left back. 
    I thought this, his running looks awkward

The kid's 18. He was out there to get a bit of experience. I thought he did pretty well. Especially setting up the move for our equaliser.
  • Options
    Jaiyesimi looking very good, as is Morgan .. in fact the whole squad had a decent run out and we look quite well balanced right across the park .. presumably Inniss and Purrington picked up knocks ?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Jaiyesimi looking very good, as is Morgan .. in fact the whole squad had a decent run out and we look quite well balanced right across the park .. presumably Inniss and Purrington picked up knocks ?
    Inniss was only ever getting 30 mins according to Jackson. 

Purrington however was scythed down in a challenge that would normally have been a booking at least (tongue in cheek really). 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Inniss was only ever getting 30 mins according to Jackson. 

Purrington however was scythed down in a challenge that would normally have been a booking at least (tongue in cheek really). 
    cheers  :)
  • Options
    I wasn't very impressed with Matthews last season and preferred Gunter over him but I thought that was the best I have seen from him for a while on Saturday.
  • Options
    I would think Morgan needs to work on his shooting with Jason Euell. Ghandour's shot to score worked well and if Morgan had used the side of his foot for his attempt on goal it would have gone in under the bar.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The freak injury that kept Inniss out for all those games was a one off. It wasn't a normal football injury.

Hopefully the medical team are able to monitor all the players well with the equipment provided by TS.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Crusty54 said:
    The freak injury that kept Inniss out for all those games was a one off. It was a normal football injury.

Hopefully the medical team are able to monitor all the players well with the equipment provided by TS.
    I'm not sure it was a normal injury... He experienced a major muscle tear from kicking a ball.

To quote LB: "A quad injury, normally you would say it’s from shooting or a long pass into the channel. Hitting consecutive long balls. He did his with a 10-yard pass, inside of the foot.

“It makes absolutely no sense how that’s happened.”