Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Many On Saturday ?

Comments

• Options
    I was 50/50 on this one given the fact that the A2 was supposed to be closed @ Bluewater from Friday night until Monday morning - Thankfully those road works have now been cancelled so dont need to worry about it being an issue.

Went to visit friends in Bexleyheath roughly two weeks ago (on a Thursday night), and the A2 had been closed there, travelled back at 9pm that day to Medway and it was a bloody nightmare trying to get from the M25 (Sat Nav took me through Dartford) up to the Bluewater junction before coming along the countrylanes to Milbrook Garden Centre.

To do that in both directions on Saturday at 4pm and then 7pm...

Would have been absolute chaos!!
    I live in Medway and would have used the M20 up to Swanley interchange and coming home would take crayford turn off to Bexley and pick up M20 again to Chatham and Blue Bell hill junction, a bit of poncing about but probably less stressful than sitting in traffic,especially if we have a shit result.
    Probably would have taken the countrylanes myself, screaming myself blue in the traffic
    i know everybody is different but i have to say i'm amazed that a bit of traffic would stop u from being there on saturday, particularly given the effort u have put in on here with you're team previews etc
  • Options
    Really well said @Sage
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Everyone has their own individual reasons and no one should judge another supporter if they can or cannot attend on Saturday.

Many are struggling with finances, many are still fearful of COVID, many would have developed anxiety from this period we have been through. And then you also have to factor in the time, the travel, the being on Sky Sports, and ultimately we also do not know how many Charlton supporters we have sadly lost since 7th March 2020.

Personally, I will be at The Valley and cannot wait. I really hope we get a big crowd and a fantastic atmosphere with an early goal to get the place rocking. But it’s going to be a very strange day indeed, and I will not forget those who will never be there, nor those who have made the difficult decision that they cannot be there.

All in all, if we get anywhere around 18,000 (considering blocks are closed too), that will be very impressive. 
    not sure what blocks being closed has to do with it Sage?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Sage said:
    Everyone has their own individual reasons and no one should judge another supporter if they can or cannot attend on Saturday.

Many are struggling with finances, many are still fearful of COVID, many would have developed anxiety from this period we have been through. And then you also have to factor in the time, the travel, the being on Sky Sports, and ultimately we also do not know how many Charlton supporters we have sadly lost since 7th March 2020.

Personally, I will be at The Valley and cannot wait. I really hope we get a big crowd and a fantastic atmosphere with an early goal to get the place rocking. But it’s going to be a very strange day indeed, and I will not forget those who will never be there, nor those who have made the difficult decision that they cannot be there.

All in all, if we get anywhere around 18,000 (considering blocks are closed too), that will be very impressive. 
    not sure what blocks being closed has to do with it Sage?
    If blocks are closed, which they are, people won’t be able to sit in them, meaning the attendance is limited to a certain amount. Does that not make sense?
  • Options
    no it doesn't unless they are closing more blocks than the usual one's at the end of the east and west - if not,  we could get 24k in there so it makes no sense in the context of your post and 18k  
  • Options
    14,287 Combination of hols, being on Sky, nervousness re Covid and no “what!?! wow!!  Charlton just signed who”? factors
    Blimey, when did that last happen?
  • Options
    I was 50/50 on this one given the fact that the A2 was supposed to be closed @ Bluewater from Friday night until Monday morning - Thankfully those road works have now been cancelled so dont need to worry about it being an issue.

Went to visit friends in Bexleyheath roughly two weeks ago (on a Thursday night), and the A2 had been closed there, travelled back at 9pm that day to Medway and it was a bloody nightmare trying to get from the M25 (Sat Nav took me through Dartford) up to the Bluewater junction before coming along the countrylanes to Milbrook Garden Centre.

To do that in both directions on Saturday at 4pm and then 7pm...

Would have been absolute chaos!!
    Let the train take the strain?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    shirty5 said:

Anything over 16,000 would be decent.

• Options
    I won't be there, I could go but my son is away with his mum and I'd rather wait and have the first game back with him.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    5. 30 kick off will put a few off. Lucky to get 15k 
    Seriously? 5.30 ko........Ive just paid out 192 quid for the Charlton TV season ticket.....thats a 2.30am kick off here bugger!

On another point, I wonder how many Charlton International TV season tickets have been sold?
    Last season we couldn't watch it with the Charlton TV season ticket when it was on Sky due to TV rights.

Has that changed?
  • Options
    With the game being on TV, middle of summer holidays and the whole situation we still find ourselves in, suspect the crowd will be a lot lower than some of hoping. Not that it really matters that much in the bigger picture 
  • Options
    I won't be there, I could go but my son is away with his mum and I'd rather wait and have the first game back with him.
    Surely it’s better if you do a match day recce in that case for when you do take your son…
  • Options
  • Options
    The return of live football in the flesh: big  booster.

Fear of Covid: a detriment, but not to the majority.

August: slight detriment, surely nowhere near as many on holiday as a typical August, but a few “staycations” I guess.

Financial troubles: possibly but can’t see it impacting the figure too much.

Turning up for Sandgaard: bit of a booster surely especially those who boycotted previously.

That fact it’s on TV:  slight detriment, those who live far away and perhaps also having concerns with Covid.

Not as many signings as hoped: surely little or no affect on the crowd.

My estimate - 18,547
  • Options
    I am a season ticket holder (I have just turned 70), but deeply regret I will not be attending the match because of the currently high Covid infection rate. If fans were asked by the club to wear masks out of respect to others I wouldn't hesitate in going to the match, but this is clearly not going to be the case. I twice asked for guidance from the club on this matter two weeks ago, but failed to receive a reply. I know I am not alone in feeling this way. It will be interesting to see what negative impact Covid may have on the gate. Obviously I'm hoping infection rates continue to fall as it pains me to miss any games (this my 59th season). However, I cannot afford to put myself or my loved ones at risk so in the words of Dragon's Den "I'm out".
    If the club is still blocking out parts of the West and AC stands then if might be worth it making those as mandatory mask areas for those who would be more comfortable in only sitting with others that are wearing a mask. It doesn’t stop the fact that getting to the seat and back will mean mixing with non-mask wearers but then getting to and from the ground or even leaving your own home will encounter that problem anyway. 
    Club and CL in harmony…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Speaking to Mick E at the open training session last Friday the conclusion we both reached was about 8k season ticket holders in the ground, 3k Sheffield Wednesday, maybe 3k match sales…I have no idea about concessions so that is guesswork, but am mindful it is on the Sky television service.
    So there may be non attending ST holders announced, but in terms of bodies actually in the ground I would think the real attendance will be closer to 15k than 16k.
    The encouraging news was that in the day following ordinary tickets released for sale 1000 were sold.
    Given the only occasional large away followings, if we have a season battling for a play off place, then it is probably realistic to hope for a seasons average of about 14.5k.
    A successful season will boost that considerably.

For away supporters the badge of honour game this season is Morecambe.
  • Options
    Nigel saying it’s going to be a big crowd…ITK ?
  • Options
    Nigel saying it’s going to be a big crowd…ITK ?
    Compared to last season. Always glass half full our Nigel, but hope he is right.
  • Options
    Cant help feeling that if Thomas turns up and sees loads of gaps in the crowd,he will be a little bit miffed.Surely an occasion like this should even drag some of the "tourists" out.Come on guys we owe this man big time.
  • Options
    Cant help feeling that if Thomas turns up and sees loads of gaps in the crowd,he will be a little bit miffed.Surely an occasion like this should even drag some of the "tourists" out.Come on guys we owe this man big time.
    15-16k and it will be noisy. More than that and it will be noisier still. Gaps in the crowd is social distancing. #rockontommy
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Had a quick look at the ticket office and it seems we’re near the 20K mark already. 
  • Options
    i calc circa 17300 tickets gone, assuming sheff wed sell out - that leaves sales today and on the day so I think a gate between 18 and 20k is likely. Not sure how many normally pay on the day? East Stand is letting the side down atm - North is pretty caked with over 8500 gone there.