Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Tuesday 10th August | 7:45PM | Match Preview | Match Thread

Neither myself or @Sage will be bothering with Match Previews for Cup games this season

Hence why nothing has been put up already

Too draining for us both when we end up with a team from the same Division, and end up having to write three / four articles based on the same opposition in a season as we just end up repeating ourselves for the most part - As a result, have put together this thread so the build up and game can be discussed at least.

A preview has been released by the OS at least...

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/611248f89f0ac/carabao-cup-preview-charlton-v-afc-wimbledon

Doesnt look like Ronnie Schwartz will be risked along with the usual suspects at present, which is extremely disappointing.

You'd hope by this stage that he'd be at least fit for 45mins, given that Chris Gunter also came back late etc.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I shall be going but I don’t expect many will because of the way we have treated the cup competitions in recent years .
     I think a cup run in this or the FA cup would be a good thing . 

Im going for a 2-1 win even if it’s our youngsters playing in front of crowd of about a thousand. ( if that ) 
  • Options
    Two teams will meet at the Fortress that is the Valley. 

Expect some edge players and the kids mixed together with maybe a couple of first teamers to make up the squad.

Charlton prove their academy strength in a 4-0 win with Albie Morgan scoring every goal. 
  • Options
    Frustrating that schwartz won’t be ready/considered! 
    He’s one of the ‘older bunch’ that should be on the bench on saturdays
  • Options
    there will be a Players Marks thread after the match followed by a basic 2 page Statbank
  • Options
    'Jake Forster-Caskey remains the Addicks’ solitary long-term absentee as he steps up his recovery from the ACL injury sustained in the penultimate game of the 2020/21 League One campaign, with the tie also thought to come too soon for Ben Purrington, Alex Gilbey and Ronnie Schwartz.'

'thought', so not definite
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I think Ben Watson should play just to have 1 senior in the 11 other than that I want to see the U23's particularly clayden to impress. perhaps pearce alongside the impressive Elerewe too.
  • Options
    Last pre-pandemic EFL cup home game v FGR drew 2,693. It will be interesting to see if any of the buzz around being able to attend football again will give tonights crowd a boost. 

There will be more in the away end then usual for an early round EFL cup game, but I think it will be under 5K. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    sammy391 said:
    Guessing he's struggling with Long Covid (if the covid info was true) as otherwise it'd be the perfect game for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Completely different team and 1-0 defeat. Meltdown about a lack of signings, squad depth and not taking cups seriously.
  • Options
    I might watch this one as missed every pre season game and the opening day against Weds. Can you Charlton TV it?
  • Options
    I think Ben Watson should play just to have 1 senior in the 11 other than that I want to see the U23's particularly clayden to impress. perhaps pearce alongside the impressive Elerewe too.
    I'll be surprised if we dont see both Pearce and Watson tonight
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I might watch this one as missed every pre season game and the opening day against Weds. Can you Charlton TV it?
    Nope, audio only unless your in attendance tonight
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:
    Guessing he's struggling with Long Covid (if the covid info was true) as otherwise it'd be the perfect game for him. 
    I suspect it’s more than just Covid . 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Nope, audio only unless your in attendance tonight
    Not even overseas? That's poop.
  • Options
    After what I saw on Saturday, and knowing what GBH Wimbledon are always like, I suspect the ball is going to be 20 ft up in the air a lot during this match.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Hoping he'll get 30 minutes. Although these games are a pain in the arse we need them. Experience into youngsters and fitness in to returning or fringe players. I know we don't currently have the latter.

Got our seats looking forward to it.
  • Options
    I think there will be a mix of youth and senior pros here, but seniors will not see more than 75 mins.

MacGillivray

Matthews Deji Pearce Roddy

Watson Dobson

Morgan

Ghandour Davidson Clayden 

2-1 to the Addicks
  • Options
    I think there will be a mix of youth and senior pros here, but seniors will not see more than 75 mins.

MacGillivray

Matthews Deji Pearce Roddy

Watson Dobson

Morgan

Ghandour Davidson Clayden 

2-1 to the Addicks
    Mostly this. I think Gunter will play again, and I reckon Washington will as well. Both very fit players who’ll do nothing but benefit from extra game time. 

I also think Clare may play instead of Dobson,

Adkins takes the cups seriously which is nice. But I think that Stockley and Inniss are the only two who should definitely not be risked.

Looking forward to it. Should be a decent evening for football. Wimbledon playing well since their manager took over and it will be a really good test for Deji should he play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t really work out why it’s not possible to watch this, it’s almost like Carabao don’t want the brand exposure.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Given we have only 12 fit outfield first team players it would be utterly stupid to play any of them other than Pearce in this match.
    Harness
    Barker Elewele Pearce Powell
    Campbell Vennings  Dempsey Clayden
    Davison Ghandour

Who is campbell
  • Options
    The fact that the game is in September (thread title) may give us an advantage if we get there tonight and notch up a few.
  • Options
    Disappointed that it looks like Ronnie won’t be getting even a short run out at least
  • Options
    Can’t really work out why it’s not possible to watch this, it’s almost like Carabao don’t want the brand exposure.
    Can only think that SKY have the rights to it so want everyone to watch the game that they're showing - But if that's the case its no different to us being allowed to show the Milton Keynes game next Tuesday, as SKY will have a Championship game that night no doubt 
  • Options
    Did I read somewhere that there are roadworks on the A2? I usually use it from the M25 to Falconwood. Does anyone know whether that section is affected, please?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Two teams will meet at the Fortress that is the Valley. 

Expect some edge players and the kids mixed together with maybe a couple of first teamers to make up the squad.

Charlton prove their academy strength in a 4-0 win with Albie Morgan scoring every goal. 
    You are HappyValley and I claim my £5. 
  • Options
    Did I read somewhere that there are roadworks on the A2? I usually use it from the M25 to Falconwood. Does anyone know whether that section is affected, please?
    You should be ok going to the game,but the dartford turn off going home  was a disaster on saturday,and I think will be the same tonight.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Southbank said:
    Given we have only 12 fit outfield first team players it would be utterly stupid to play any of them other than Pearce in this match.
    Harness
    Barker Elewele Pearce Powell
    Campbell Vennings  Dempsey Clayden
    Davison Ghandour

Who is campbell
    Alan ?, May still have his boots, worth a call  B)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!