Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    I arrived at the valley early and no family or buddy there to get on my soap box so I thought I would study the team warming up.
    Charlie Kirk went down after minimal contact from Pearce in the one touch practice. The impression then and during games was that Charlie was lightweight. Came with a reputation for being decent when having a wing back or attacking full back(Pickering)outside him where he could either feed or use as a decoy. 

Kirk is like the jigsaw piece that despite trying, you just can't fit in.

Shame but it happens at every club and unfortunately its the player that received the longest contract 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    I arrived at the valley early and no family or buddy there to get on my soap box so I thought I would study the team warming up.
    Charlie Kirk went down after minimal contact from Pearce in the one touch practice. The impression then and during games was that Charlie was lightweight. Came with a reputation for being decent when having a wing back or attacking full back(Pickering)outside him where he could either feed or use as a decoy. 

Kirk is like the jigsaw piece that despite trying, you just can't fit in.

Shame but it happens at every club and unfortunately its the player that received the longest contract 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I like your jigsaw analogy but I am still hopeful that Holden will find a way to get the best out of Charlie even if it is a plan B. 
  • Options
    He didn't exactly set the world on fire at Burton during his loan either (8 games came off bench out of 14 apps, 2 goals no assists) Blackpool decided to pass after a loan spell because they didn't end up thinking he was worth what they did prior to him going there. Its not just us where he has struggled.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    CafcWest said:
    Against the masses of Kirk haters... I actually think he has something to offer - played in the right position.  Last season he was mainly played out wide and it didn't work.  On one home game (can't remember which) he was moved more inside and was much more effective.  He has a good footballing brain and a good touch and was responsible for quite a few assists before being loaned out.  Unless we can sign "better" then I think he still has a role to play.  Cue the LOLs.
    I'm also a fan of him as an attacking player. He's clever in how he uses the ball and he rarely loses possession. He doesn't take on his man, but he doesn't have to gamble like in order to create something, he only needs half a yard to create an opening while other wingers need to beat their man and look up. But it's his token defensive effort that really lets him down. He's just uninterested in that side of the game and at a club like ours, that's never going to go down well. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I think if Charlie Kirk was going to succeed at Cafc it would've been under Ben Garner who wanted to play a possession type game. Not sure about Kirk's ability at closing down and out of possession as that does look a weakness. On the ball he has ability but as others have said not with pace.
    I want every player to succeed when they put on a Charlton shirt and it should never be about hate. 

Will be awkward if Charlie starts the season at Cafc if he isn't wanted by Dean Holden. 
    I assume that must be the case after his Burton loan.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Kirk the pretender.

Runs around trying to look busy or calls for the ball but he actually doesn’t want it and is doing nothing. Can’t beat a player, is lightweight, doesn’t have a left foot, isn’t willing to track back and do the dirty work, nor is he good enough for it. He isn’t quick, he’s previously been a bad influence with a poor attitude, and we can’t have a player needing another type of player in the team just to make him potentially look half decent. 

He didn’t do very well or feature too much for Burton on loan, is that because he didn’t have an attacking left back playing with him too? Yet they did, having played a 3-4-3 themselves.

Why do players always seem to be better when they’re back and not playing? He’s not good enough, absolutely not for a team hoping to grt promoted, and I am certain Holden knows it. Get rid, hope to somehow get a couple of hundred thousand for him, and let’s all move on. 
    Spot on - wearing pink boots against Welling and nothing to show for it (yes I know he 'scored' in the friendly).

He is quite possibly the biggest wimp you will see on the football pitch (this extends to missing headers as they might hurt) alongside a stroppy attitude. Get rid please. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Like, here's what I'd say might be our best CURRENT team (with May):

May Leaburn/Kanu

Kirk

CBT Fraser Dobbo Egbo

Ness Hector Lloyd

Isted-Brewer
    That team would get very overrun in midfield.
  • Options
    He didn't exactly set the world on fire at Burton during his loan either (8 games came off bench out of 14 apps, 2 goals no assists) Blackpool decided to pass after a loan spell because they didn't end up thinking he was worth what they did prior to him going there. Its not just us where he has struggled.
    Exactly this - McGrandles for example seems worth another go, he didn't get a run here due to injury etc and then did well on loan.

Kirk didn't do well here despite a few chances, and then didn't do that well on loan.

He's one I'd try to move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

May Leaburn/Kanu

Kirk

CBT Fraser Dobbo Egbo

Ness Hector Lloyd

Isted-Brewer
    McGrandles for Kanu, Kirk supporting May, Fraser more advanced?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

May Leaburn/Kanu

Kirk

CBT Fraser Dobbo Egbo

Ness Hector Lloyd

Isted-Brewer
    McGrandles for Kanu, Kirk supporting May, Fraser more advanced?
    May - Kirk

Fraser

Taylor Blackett :wink: - Dobson - McGrandles - Egbo

Ness - Hector - Lloyd

Brewer
  • Options
    Kirk is like DJ and CBT, if you don’t keep them constantly in the game then they are not effective. Keep them in the game and they are world beaters (at least for L1 and I suspect they could step up to Championship level). I’d keep Kirk al(and DJ) all day long if we had somebody in midfield that is going to constantly pass the ball to them. I think jonny williams was the perfect example of how great and how ineffective a player can be if they are stuck out in the wing like a spare prick at a wedding. That promotion season he had a midfield that did a lot of work and used williams to his strengths. The start of the championship season saw that continue. Come January that season we’d basically lost that midfield and JWs form suffered as a result. Kirk and DJ haven’t had the benefit of being played to their strengths so far. If Holden still has them in his squad then maybe he thinks he can use them, though if course that use might be to trade them off for somebody else…
  • Options
    Leuth said:

May Leaburn/Kanu

Kirk

CBT Fraser Dobbo Egbo

Ness Hector Lloyd

Isted-Brewer
    I dunno, it's got 13 players in it for a start
  • Options
    I really wouldn’t want to see  Kirk or DJ in the team again.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He only works wide left with an aggressive wing back to support him. He'll only work well in a 10 with one striker dropping deep and the other making a run behind to offer options, with willing runners from deeper midfield also helping out.

He's the very definition of a luxury player, and used well will be effective. But I don't fancy the thought of us building the way we play all around Charlie Kirk
    Unless the player is a L1 "cheat code" you can't carry players who need tactics built around them. He's not good enough for that
  • Options
    When I watched Crewe, he always impressed me. It does feel a bit like he is a big fish in a small pond sort of player.
  • Options
    He hides too much when the tough gets going. Luxury player that can deliver now and again if he feels up to it.
  • Options

see how Kirk gets on in the next few friendlies, also he can play up top, and we have few options currently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Sometimes I really am thankful we have an actual manager like Holden, and not supporters in charge 😅
    You won't be saying this when Kirk starts the first league game
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sometimes I really am thankful we have an actual manager like Holden, and not supporters in charge 😅
    He is not a winger, not a wingback nor a 10. Actual manager Holden already knows that hence the loan.
  • Options
    If we get 10p for him we’ve robbed someone 
  • Options
    We are still suffering from the year of awful signings - mac, Lavelle , Kirk, stockley , aneke
  • Options
    We sign so many players who are player of the year from the clubs they come from - very rarely do they excel at Charlton. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sage said:
    You won't be saying this when Kirk starts the first league game
    Playing alongside May, now Leaburn out for a few weeks
  • Options
    The fact that he is still playing for us is all you need to know about the state of Charlton Athletic FC. He is by some margin the most feeble and inept footballer I have ever seen in my 40 years of watching Charlton. A non entity, a fullbacks dream and a nightmare for his team mates. 
  • Options
    Oh god here we go again.
  • Options
    No pace, no fight, walks through the game. His passing is ok and that's about it.