Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Corey Blackett-Taylor - (p34 - signed for Derby on loan til the end of the season)

Comments

• Options
    I look at JRS and i see him being a Prem regular , I look at CBT and i'm not even sure he's going to be a Championship regular .
    On Saturday it looked like he'd just been introduced to a football for the first time on occasions
    I like CBT, at this level is one of the most dangerous wingers in the league. Not being good enough to start regularly in the championship doesn't make him not good enough for Charlton in League 1. He is 25 too so not a youngster any more, I would say top end league one is his level.
  • Options
    CBT has pace to burn and on his day can look unplayable - Pompey away last season springs to mind - however often his feet are too quick for his brain. On the whole though he does more good than bad.

JRS as said above will be playing at a far higher level, he's clearly got a lot of quality
  • Options
    I look at JRS and i see him being a Prem regular , I look at CBT and i'm not even sure he's going to be a Championship regular .
    On Saturday it looked like he'd just been introduced to a football for the first time on occasions
    He doesn’t need to be good enough to be a championship regular for someone to buy him. A newly promoted club might make a decent offer with the view he’d offer pace off the bench and a good option if they get relegated back to L1.

JRS clearly the one who can go a lot further.
  • Options

What do those stats represent Callum, is that the top of the table suggesting CBT is the third best in league one?

Yes, and JRS fifth.

Effectively saying we have two of the most threatening wingers in the league. It doesn't measure end product (ie the result of shots or key passes made) which is an entirely different discussion...
    Lol, two of the most threatening wingers in the league. Who is compiling the chart, Stevie Wonder.
    They both regularly have full backs on toast 🤷‍♂️ 
    With very little end product, winger’s need to beat defender’s and provide chances for forward players, these two don’t.
  • Options

What do those stats represent Callum, is that the top of the table suggesting CBT is the third best in league one?

Yes, and JRS fifth.

Effectively saying we have two of the most threatening wingers in the league. It doesn't measure end product (ie the result of shots or key passes made) which is an entirely different discussion...
    Lol, two of the most threatening wingers in the league. Who is compiling the chart, Stevie Wonder.
    With very little end product, winger’s need to beat defender’s and provide chances for forward players, these two don’t.
    I would say the one thing both of them do is consistently beat their man. If they produced more end product they wouldn’t be playing at this level.
  • Options
    He's very similar to Alfie Doughty... Rapid player, but his inconsistencies will limit how far he can go. I wouldnt be surprised if a Championship side took a punt on him because he is so fast - But wont see him being anything more than a squad player.
  • Options

Yes, and JRS fifth.

I would say the one thing both of them do is consistently beat their man. If they produced more end product they wouldn’t be playing at this level.
    “Consistently” I must be watching different players then. I don’t associate the word “consistent” with CBT, you are lucky to get a good 45 minutes out of him every three games. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Yes, and JRS fifth.

They’re consistently beating their man and then providing the 3rd and 5th most shots, or passes leading to a shot, in the entire league. We won’t have better next season. 

The end result of those shots is up for debate but they’re two of the best in the league at creating those opportunities from that position
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Yes, and JRS fifth.

Spent most of the season watching Rak-Sakyi beat his man, look up into the box and see Stockley 20 yards behind play

Who's he got to aim for now... Bonne.

Interesting that when Aneke and Leaburn are on the pitch, they do seem to get chances. 

I think it's quite funny that JRS in particular is having his end product questioned when he's scored more than any other winger in this league, while playing in a dire team like ours. 
    It's not just about the striker either. Even if Leaburn and Aneke proved better targets, they're still often the only one in the box and need to be picked out when up against 3 centre backs - the cross has to be perfect for that to come off. A midfielder with genuine instincts to get into the box frequently would transform our team. I'm not having it that Fraser can or ever will be that player - I'm talking a Johnnie Jackson or Nicky Bailey type. Then, if the winger on the opposite side also gets into the box (which we are doing better but could still improve) then you would frequently have three players to aim at and could attack both posts and the centre of the goal - then the wingers just need to hit an area with their cross, rather than needing to be pinpoint accurate, and the men in the box can fight for it without being outnumbered. We'd be much much more likely to score goals from crosses this way even in the 433. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CBT is inconsistent but on his day can be a match winner. Pick him over DJ or Kirk any time.
  • Options
    I do like CBT, he’s obviously very exciting to watch and his ball carry stats show just that. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if a Championship team took a punt on him as that raw explosive pace is something you cannot teach.

However I’m not sure how successful he would be if he did move up a level. Pace can only take you so far as we have seen with him when he comes up against a good quality full back or team who defend the edge of there box well. 

Fingers crossed that him seems to be putting a string of games together at the moment, but there also seems to have been issues around fitness/confidence which has seen him in and out of the team since he’s been here. 
  • Options
    Interesting discussion...

Most would agree that JRS and CBT are our two most (only) threatening players yet they rarely , if ever, pass to our lone centre forward - whoever he is. 

For me, they dash about on the wing with flashes of genuine skill and pace but it's often an entirely independent effort from the other nine payers on the pitch.  

Absolutely spot on. 
  • Options
  • Options
    3 Assists is a pathetic return for a winger
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see we're getting the easy business done now...

Dont want to go into the Summer wondering if current players will be here or not, better to plan without them as early as possible. 

Its why I was disappointed that more of our January outgoings werent on permanent deals, instead of just loans. 
  • Options
    Very pleased with that. Our most dangerous player when he’s at it. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Clem_Snide said:
    3 Assists is a pathetic return for a winger
    Actually if you only have 2023 edition Stockley and Bonne to aim at, I'd not blame the wingers there 
    I do agree but his delivery is also absolutely horrendous 9 times out of 10. No composure at all
  • Options
    Happy with this. He one of the few who I think can play a part in a better more rounded team. Surround him with better players and I think he will improve. He has his flaws, but 6 goals and 3 assists is not a terrible return, and as frustrating and erratic as his end product can be, I do feel for our wingers sometimes when they beat their full back and then look up and see one player in the box to aim at.

What I would say for CBT is he often carries a threat in games, and does not tend to go completely missing in matches in the way that some of our players have been known to down the years. I think he's a good option to have in the squad, but we're clearly also need improvements throughout the squad. He's still a good age as well, and may yet improve - he has upped his goal contributions this season.
  • Options
    For me, it’s a pathetic decision.  Looks like we’re repeating the same mistakes of season’s gone by.  He’s had the odd moment, but this is a team, similar to last year’s, that is going to finish in abject mediocrity and around 12th at best.  Like last season, the quality needed/gulf between where we finished and competing for promotion is going to be quite a chasm.  Blackett Taylor simply doesn’t have it.  I’m not expecting much because I think TS will still be in charge come the summer, but we’re going down exactly the same route as we have done by renewing his contract.  Shambles 
  • Options
    He seems to have a habit of going missing in away games against smaller teams. 
  • Options
    CBT is inconsistent but on his day can be a match winner. Pick him over DJ or Kirk any time.
    Kind of reminds me of Dany N'Guessan in respect of what he can bring to a match. Not a brilliant player as such but capable of shifting the balance of a game in our favour when called on. N'Guessan scored 4 goals in 7 games, including the important opener against Yeovil when we'd been on a bit of a wobble, the clincher against Orient and the only goal in a win against Walsall, which allowed us to get promoted next game.
    The big difference is that N'Guessan was brought in to fill in when we were looking a bit thin with injuries and fitness and as a little bit extra to push us over the line. When everyone was available he was a squad player. CBT though is one of our only two goal threats in the entire squad so he plays more than he should and his inadequacies are shown up more than they would be if his pace was a surprise impact teams didn't plan for. With a good takeover I'd want him to be that player, not a central part of our hopes
  • Options
    I agree with both NabySarr and GarryManilow’s assessments. 

A fine squad player to have, and as an impact sub I could see him being part of a promotion chasing side. 

However the moment he had to string periods of starts together his deficiencies soon become apparent.
  • Options
    I'm happy to keep him for next year, but not sure he's good enough to be a starter in a promotion seeking side playing 433. A lot depends on whether we can replace DJ and Kirk with something better, or whether we'll be stuck with them.