Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Corey Blackett-Taylor - (p34 - signed for Derby on loan til the end of the season)

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I'm surprised we dont get him switching wings on occasion 
  • Options
    Sure it was something Curbs used to do pretty often but feels like we never do it now. Yesterday would've been the perfect time to move a few around when things clearly weren't happening. CBT to the right, TC left and Leaburn central. Seems so basic as well which makes it all the more frustrating. 
  • Options
    CBT is a very one note player. It's a good note but he's actually useless on the right. He likes to run diagonally on his one good foot and try and fashion space and a shooting opportunity for himself but he's got absolutely nothing in terms of the ability to kill the fullback down the line and put a cross in. I honestly think if you put Corey on the right he'd run the ball out of play more than he'd cause defenders problems.
  • Options
    Anonymous against Shrewsbury.....but the shortening of the field to 5-a-side size hindered him.......
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sure it was something Curbs used to do pretty often but feels like we never do it now. Yesterday would've been the perfect time to move a few around when things clearly weren't happening. CBT to the right, TC left and Leaburn central. Seems so basic as well which makes it all the more frustrating. 
    This. If the 3 behind May rotate, it will get very confusing for defending teams. They won't know who to mark
  • Options
    Talal said:
    CBT is a very one note player. It's a good note but he's actually useless on the right. He likes to run diagonally on his one good foot and try and fashion space and a shooting opportunity for himself but he's got absolutely nothing in terms of the ability to kill the fullback down the line and put a cross in. I honestly think if you put Corey on the right he'd run the ball out of play more than he'd cause defenders problems.
    Usually respect your posts but that's nonsense. He played on the right numerous times when he joined and had a number of decent games. He likes to run diagonally and try to fashion space for a shot because his he'll struggle to put many decent crosses in with his left. Put him on the right and it'll be the opposite, he'll have to go past his man and put a cross in. No harm trying it if he's clearly being marked out the game on the left. 
    I wasn't being entirely serious. Putting him on the right does blunt him though because he's good at beating his man on the inside and carving out shooting opportunities but he's a poor crosser regardless of the foot he uses
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Need to sign him to an extended contract asap  or he will be gone in January 
  • Options
    It was a special strike. For some reason, fans don't seem overly excited by it?

He had an off game, that's for sure and looked upset/angry with himself at full time. He should have buried the chance to make it 1-1. But CBT Mk1 wouldn't have had it in him to pull something like today out the hat during an off game. Well done for the equaliser. 
  • Options

It's time to cast your vote for our Goal of the Weekend!The nominees are:

Ollie Cooper - Plymouth Argyle v SWANSEA CITY

Corey Blackett-Taylor - CHARLTON ATHLETIC v Blackpool

Jordan Hugill - Southampton v ROTHERHAM UNITED

Jordan Brown - LEYTON ORIENT v Reading

David Ajiboye - PETERBOROUGH UNITED v Lincoln City

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/october/09/vote-for-the-goal-of-the-weekend/
  • Options
    As I said before, in my opinion, if he isn’t signed up, there is barely any reason for us to sell him in January as we will barely get anything for him. He is one of a handful of players that we’ve got who can win us games and you need to keep those. 

If he doesn’t want to sign because he wants to play championship football then make him try and achieve that with us. If we don’t achieve that then he can go at the end of the season.
  • Options
    voted CBT but it defaulted back to the first one  
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    voted CBT but it defaulted back to the first one  
    Same here, possibly just defaulted back after vote went through.
  • Options
    The quality of CBTs strike was quite something. He controlled it with added pace rather than lash his laces through it, and the results showed in accuracy.
  • Options
    Sometimes I go back to the first page of this thread to enjoy some of the comments from when he first signed.
    Funny how things turn out.

CBT came with low expectations from the fan base and now one of the first names on the team sheet

Kirk came with high expectations and until he was mentioned in the pizza cup post match thread, a few on here forgot he existed. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Sometimes I go back to the first page of this thread to enjoy some of the comments from when he first signed.
    Or even when we took the extra year option on him - there was some very OTT comments.

Have to say he has exceeded my expectations, last year when he looked like he was getting going he would always pick up a knock/cold etc… this year he’s smashing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would imagine our best bet would be to get promoted and try to negotiate a new contract from there.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    He's got two assists in four games!
    That's 23 assists in a season if he remained on that level.
    Some of you are nuts to think he's not performing in this division!
    His stats are even better than when I posted this.
    IF we can, we MUST extend his contract.
    No other player like him in the division currently. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I still think re-signing Leko would have been the better option.
    The strange thing is that Leko is two years younger and was the better player 4 years ago.

Is it the bad injury with Leko?  Is it CBT "sorted himself out"?  Is there still.time for Leko?

Loads of what ifs and sliding doors moments for both.

It would.be good to sit here in 10 years time and the comparison.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    As I said before, in my opinion, if he isn’t signed up, there is barely any reason for us to sell him in January as we will barely get anything for him. He is one of a handful of players that we’ve got who can win us games and you need to keep those. 

If he doesn’t want to sign because he wants to play championship football then make him try and achieve that with us. If we don’t achieve that then he can go at the end of the season.
    We might get low 6 figures in January, which given our dire gates will probably be accepted , particularly if he wants to go. If we are anywhere near the top 6, which given our back 4, keeper and away record I can’t see, it would make more sense to keep him.  

I really like him - he’s worked enormously on his fitness and his output is now impressive .  The anonymous games are far fewer and less regular 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JaShea99 said:
    I still think re-signing Leko would have been the better option.
    The strange thing is that Leko is two years younger and was the better player 4 years ago.

Is it the bad injury with Leko?  Is it CBT "sorted himself out"?  Is there still.time for Leko?

Loads of what ifs and sliding doors moments for both.

It would.be good to sit here in 10 years time and the comparison.
    I haven't watched him play this season, and it is in League 2, but Leko has 3 goals and 2 assists from 12 matches which is a reasonable return for a winger so maybe he is turning it around again.

What it goes to show is player recruitment is no exact science. Past performance is often no indicator of future success or failure. Form can ebb and flow for a player, or players can peak early then fade rapidly to obscurity by their early/mid 20s, while Others suddenly hit their purple patch aged 30 after a decade of mediocrity in the lower leagues. Others improve slowly but steadily over a number of years or when they join the right club/manager, while other looks good (or bad) from 18 to 35 no matter who manages them or who they play for. Having the right players at the right times is a dark art and includes a large element of luck. It's easy, as fans, to criticize recruitment teams but it's not an easy job, and anyone on here who has ever been responsible for hiring people in their line of work will have stories of people they took on who they thought were going to be great but turned out to be a disaster, and others who they hired a bit reluctantly, or out of necessity, but actually turned out be very solid employees.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:

We might get low 6 figures in January, which given our dire gates will probably be accepted , particularly if he wants to go. If we are anywhere near the top 6, which given our back 4, keeper and away record I can’t see, it would make more sense to keep him.  

I really like him - he’s worked enormously on his fitness and his output is now impressive .  The anonymous games are far fewer and less regular 
    Important to remember that no players are immune from this - look at Haaland on Sunday. Possibly the best striker in the world at the moment and he barely got kick vs Arsenal. Like you say, what's encouraging with CBT is, a couple of times, recently he has had a quiet game overall but then had a pretty explosive impact late on in games.
  • Options
    CBT a rare phenomenon of reverse charltonisation.

Has actually become more consistent, less injury prone and increasingly prolific since joining us.

When was the last time that happened?
    Personally i'd ship him out, he's not proper Charlton material...
  • Options
    CBT a rare phenomenon of reverse charltonisation.

Has actually become more consistent, less injury prone and increasingly prolific since joining us.

When was the last time that happened?
    This is what is known as "developing a player"

A fanciful thing for us Addicks in recent times...