Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Elliot Lee - gone to Wrexham (p15)

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bit like Johnny Williams for me - bags of skill but too fragile physically.
    Was he fragile? 

He may not have been as strong as we'd like, but he was tricky. His lack of interest in releasing the ball was my biggest issue with him.

I'm a little torn. In the start of Jackson's reign he looked a step above and then when Jackson's run turned so did Lee's was he sussed out? Was he disinterested? 

If he's cheap, I'd consider it.
    Lee was toilet for us and not a shadow of Williams.

My mum is a better passer of the ball.
    A few months of Charlton coaching and your mum will also be hoofing the ball up the pitch to the opposition, or straight out of play. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    For me, his best moment was the ball through to Conor Washington for our second at home to Plymouth, it was class.  Sadly, aside from that I can’t really remember much else apart from the twists and turns into various cul-de-sacs.  

We’ve already offered new deals to Inniss, Davison and Purrington.  We need to be careful we don’t slowly baulk the squad up with what we consider ‘good squad players’ or ‘can do a job on their day’.

I thought we needed a lot of changes at the end of last season after finishing 7th, we never got them.  We got Matthews back.  We finished 14th this time.  To have even a few of the ‘good squad players’ come back would be a disaster.  We’ve already got the likes of Gilbey, DJ and Morgan in midfield, they can be our ‘good squad players’.

Btw when I use the term ‘good squad players’ in relation to this current mob, I mean complete league one fodder.  Some of you are probably more generous, but the likes of Gilbey and DJ aren’t going to get you out of this league, even if used as back up
    I still strongly disagree with this.  The main reason that this season was a disaster wasn't we kept Watson, Gunter resigned Matthews etc.  The reason this season was a disaster was we replaced Maatsen, Millar, Amos, JFC and Chuks with Souare, Kirk, Arter, MacGillivray and Chuks half way through the season.

If we had just swapped Pratley, Oshilaja, Shinnie and Smith for Dobson, Clare, CBT and Lavelle we would have been there or there abouts. 

We are in a much worse position than we were 12 months ago, with more contracted players. 
    It's both though isn't. If we had replaced Gunter with a better RB capable of wing-back, we'd have had a decent player capable of playing under both Adkins and then Jacko. We ended up with no decent RB and no cover for Dobson. I agree the amount of changes we needed was less than others thought, but those 4 changes you mention weren't enough as the squad would have been small. Millar and Maatsen for example were wanted back but we had no say. 
    The squad would have been the same size.  We replaced the chaff with up grades.  That would have been enough if that's all that happened.  We also lost 5 of our best players and replaced them with chaff, in most cases, worse than what we had just got rid of. 

We knew Millar and Maatsen would leave but made no conscious effort to replace them.  We knew JFC was out in April, Aneke in June.  Only Amos was replaced of those 5.
    We replaced Millar, had plenty or wingers, don’t forget the change in shape. Kirk wasn’t like for like but was the replacement, plus we signed CBT and played Washington out side. Spot on with Maatsen and JFC though, the left back situation was particularly puzzling 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Kips said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I am not suggesting we sign him but we never played him in his position did we.  Even his dad said so on CATV.

What was his position then? I'd have thought the attacking one of a midfield three would've suited him. 
    He played as the attacking one in a 4 or wide in a front 3 for Luton and Oxford.  Not majorly different, but different enough.

Still wouldn't want him anyway.
    Yes barely any difference at all especially at the tip of a diamond.

It's a real head scratcher for me where it all went so wrong for Lee. He was pivotal to the team when he played well, he wanted to be at Charlton, had the love of the fans and the manager. 
    Barely any different? He was played in a midfield central three, not a front three or at the tip of any diamond. He relies on interplay between forwards and people making intelligent supporting runs. I genuinely think we should consider signing him and playing him in a team that will play to his strengths 
    The A plan should be to buy the best centre forward you can afford and play to his strengths.

Bringing in players to support players like Kirk and Lee is a waste of time and budget. Just bring in players that can support plan A. There are enough players available on a free or on a loan that will be able to do that.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Was he fragile? 

He may not have been as strong as we'd like, but he was tricky. His lack of interest in releasing the ball was my biggest issue with him.

I'm a little torn. In the start of Jackson's reign he looked a step above and then when Jackson's run turned so did Lee's was he sussed out? Was he disinterested? 

She isn't ;)
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I saw what he was about, some people have too from reading the comments 

He always put a shift in, covered a lot of ground wasn't afraid to win the ball back, also wasn't afraid to receive it in tight areas. The criticism about holding the ball too long is maybe fair but then he wasn't holding it cluelessly, he was waiting for a team mate to show themselves to receive the ball. 

Had a decent delivery, looked to make things happen and I dont think was ever really given much of a run as a number 10. 

If we aren't keeping him I would hope its because we are signing Alfie May or Matt Stevens 
    Lee was an absolutely appalling set piece taker. It's saying something that we saw a marked improvement when Morgan started taking them again
  • Options
    Carter said:

He always put a shift in, covered a lot of ground wasn't afraid to win the ball back, also wasn't afraid to receive it in tight areas. The criticism about holding the ball too long is maybe fair but then he wasn't holding it cluelessly, he was waiting for a team mate to show themselves to receive the ball. 

Had a decent delivery, looked to make things happen and I dont think was ever really given much of a run as a number 10. 

If we aren't keeping him I would hope its because we are signing Alfie May or Matt Stevens 
    So are you comparing Lee to Alfie May? Because I am struggling to have them in the same sentence when you compare the seasons they had.
  • Options
    Can see him going to AFC Wimbledon
  • Options
    Carter said:

So are you comparing Lee to Alfie May? Because I am struggling to have them in the same sentence when you compare the seasons they had.
    Hell of a jump you've made but in terms of where they play. Lee is more of a 10 than anything else so yeah fair enough comparison for me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Was he fragile? 

• Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Hell of a jump you've made but in terms of where they play. Lee is more of a 10 than anything else so yeah fair enough comparison for me 
    Fair point but I was merely comparing their season stats.

Alfie May scored 23 goals and had 4 assists. Lee is not even on the chart I lifted these from.
  • Options
    Signed for Wrexham. 
  • Options
    should piss that league
  • Options
    Can see him going to AFC Wimbledon
    With Euell, Washington and Pearce?
  • Options
    should piss that league
    Should have last season.  Weren't very good in the trophy final.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    should piss that league
    No, I agree. I saw their semi against Stockport and the final against Bromley. They never got going against Bromley but looked good in the Stockport game. Mullin looked classy in the semi. Indeed, the standard at that game was better than some L1 games I’ve seen.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    should piss that league
    No, I agree. I saw their semi against Stockport and the final against Bromley. They never got going against Bromley but looked good in the Stockport game. Mullin looked classy in the semi. Indeed, the standard at that game was better than some L1 games I’ve seen.
    Bromley are a horrible team to play against.  They have that thing where they make very ordinary players look very good, but it's awful to watch.

Stockport will get back to back promotions, or very close to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even as an exciting project to be a part or, it will be at least 2 years til he gets back to the level he should be at. Must be on very good money 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    That’s Matthews in Cyprus and Lee in non league.  I think they’re both better than the levels they’re now playing at, but it highlights how far off we were challenging last season.  

Be interesting to see where Leko goes if Birmingham don’t want him again this year.
    A fuller list:
    - Matthews > Cyprus
    - Lee > non league
    - Gunter > league 2
    - Pearce > retired

Think we did have some good players last year though.
  • Options
    All this talk about nobody at the club understands recruitment. Well if you look at the list of players released someone clearly does 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Shouldn’t be anywhere near non league. If we played to suit his style would have wanted him to sign, but learn enough about him during the Jacko era.

Got to be the highest paid player in non-league football now. Personal opinion if we are competing with a player who prefers to play non-league because they are offering him a higher pay check than a league 1 club I would be happy for them not to sign for us. 
  • Options
    Shouldn’t be anywhere near non league. If we played to suit his style would have wanted him to sign, but learn enough about him during the Jacko era.

Got to be the highest paid player in non-league football now. Personal opinion if we are competing with a player who prefers to play non-league because they are offering him a higher pay check than a league 1 club I would be happy for them not to sign for us. 
    A womble mate reckons that their striker that went to Wrexham in Jan is on £9k a week. I'm not sure if I believe that but expect them to pay £5-6k
  • Options

A womble mate reckons that their striker that went to Wrexham in Jan is on £9k a week. I'm not sure if I believe that but expect them to pay £5-6k

6k to 9k is possible at a Hollywood club for a striker as I know even at the well healed *steps 4 and 5 clubs, strikers can get £500-700. This is part time where rich local business men and woman will bank role their local team. Smaller clubs at step 4 and 5 are struggling to pay expenses.

*Step 1 is National League. 

• Options
    Rumour was that Mullin is on £8k-£9k a week.