Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him.  He tried, but just wasn’t able to make an impact here.  Hope he does better at Carlisle 
  • Options
    I wish him well. I'm sure he'll play a blinder against us when we play Carlisle this season. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:
    Holden’s comments here make me think of Lavelle.

Not that he didn’t put the effort in because I think he did, but handling that step up in expectations and continuing to improve as a player. That might be the biggest difference between Lavelle and someone like Lockyer who did well in the Championship and has continued to progress.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holden-really-comfortable-with-transfer-window-state-of-play-for-addicks/

We need to make sure we not only bring the right quality of player in but also the right mentality as well.
    With Lavelle I don't think it comes down to mentality, but ability. 
    As a first choice CB I’d agree, but I wonder if he has the belief and ability to handle the higher expectations and pressure he got from being at a bigger club. I don’t know him so could be completely wrong, but there’s more to it than just putting 100% in (which I believe he did).

Simon Francis didn’t have that when he was here, but he grew in confidence at Bournemouth and was a huge success. He went from looking like a lower league journeyman at best to being a PL player.

Take that confidence away from someone like Darren Pratley and he wouldn’t have played as high as he did.
  • Options
    I wish him well. I'm sure he'll play a blinder against us when we play Carlisle this season. 
    That's nailed on, as per usual when returning players come back to The Valley..
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

Not that he didn’t put the effort in because I think he did, but handling that step up in expectations and continuing to improve as a player. That might be the biggest difference between Lavelle and someone like Lockyer who did well in the Championship and has continued to progress.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holden-really-comfortable-with-transfer-window-state-of-play-for-addicks/

We need to make sure we not only bring the right quality of player in but also the right mentality as well.
    Agreed, I just don't think he's quick enough, good enough in the air, or reads the game well enough. He's poor on the ball. 
    I also agree. It's a struggle to pick out any real strengths in his game. I can't wrap my head around the fact Gallen said he watched him multiple times before signing him.
    That's a very good point, what is he best at? 

The answer may be that he's much better defending deeper, and he looks more assured when the entire game is in front of him. 

I think he might be the worst signing for a fee of this regime. Chuks is good when he plays, he doesn't play much, the club took a risk, in my mind it was far too big of a risk, and it failed. Stockley was coming off of a good season with us even though the way we wanted to play (even under Adkins) didn't suit him. Fraser has been good. DJ was a bit of a panic buy I feel, after we'd had to get so many players in at the last minute. We've seen what Kirk can do, it just hasn't worked out for him here, and he's another one where we haven't always played to his strong suits. Clare was a nominal fee, and we got a couple of decent years out of him. And I think that just leaves Lavelle, who was never first choice apart from when other CBs were injured.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

Agreed, I just don't think he's quick enough, good enough in the air, or reads the game well enough. He's poor on the ball. 
    I also agree. It's a struggle to pick out any real strengths in his game. I can't wrap my head around the fact Gallen said he watched him multiple times before signing him.

The answer may be that he's much better defending deeper, and he looks more assured when the entire game is in front of him. 

I think he might be the worst signing for a fee of this regime. Chuks is good when he plays, he doesn't play much, the club took a risk, in my mind it was far too big of a risk, and it failed. Stockley was coming off of a good season with us even though the way we wanted to play (even under Adkins) didn't suit him. Fraser has been good. DJ was a bit of a panic buy I feel, after we'd had to get so many players in at the last minute. We've seen what Kirk can do, it just hasn't worked out for him here, and he's another one where we haven't always played to his strong suits. Clare was a nominal fee, and we got a couple of decent years out of him. And I think that just leaves Lavelle, who was never first choice apart from when other CBs were injured.
    Ronnie didn't go too well. Lavelle looked alright before that dislocated shoulder but by the end he may as well have not been there in terms of his defending.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    All the best to him, didn't hide, just wasn't really quick enough to react or move. 
    He didn't 'hide'. He usually did when a striker turrned him very easily.
    No he just couldn't catch up with them. 
  • Options
    I'm going to get a few, 'I was there' t shirts made up for the Welling game on Saturday, seeing this great defender, play and score in his last game for us.

anybody want one?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    All the best to him, didn't hide, just wasn't really quick enough to react or move. 
    He didn't 'hide'. He usually did when a striker turrned him very easily.
    No he just couldn't catch up with them. 
    Ok, he couldn't play either part of hide and seek then!
  • Options
    I don't often criticise players but I am amazed that people thought he did okay when he first arrived. My recollection is that he did little right and was so unbelievably slow. I've seen the proverbial oil tankers turn more quickly than him. It is right that he has gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sometimes moves just don't work out. This sounds like a good move for him, and the right "level" of club

Born Blackpool, started at Blackburn, signed for Bolton, played most of his career for Morecambe, played for Scotland U18s. Everything about him smacks of being a northerner. For some players it is about being comfortable in your surroundings and he will be much closer to home now than living in south east London. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I don't often criticise players but I am amazed that people thought he did okay when he first arrived. My recollection is that he did little right and was so unbelievably slow. I've seen the proverbial oil tankers turn more quickly than him. It is right that he has gone.
    Sam Lavelle made a decent enough impression on me when he first arrived with his general performances ...... except for one thing, he had no acceleration, really slow feet.

At League One level that was always going to be exploited. And it was.

• Options
    Best of lick Sam hope you have a great season
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    cafcfan said:
    Sam Lavelle made a decent enough impression on me when he first arrived with his general performances ...... except for one thing, he had no acceleration, really slow feet.

A weakness but a common one in centre backs. Morrison, Cort, Taylor, Pearce etc weren’t known for their acceleration or quick feet. A good CB with pace won’t be in L1 very long, and those who read the game well can cover that weakness.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

Ronnie didn't go too well. Lavelle looked alright before that dislocated shoulder but by the end he may as well have not been there in terms of his defending.
    God I'd completely forgotten about Schwartz. He's another where we signed him even though he was not suited to the way we wanted to play. Obviously there were other issues there, including Covid, which the club couldn't control.

Okay, I amend it, Lavelle maybe the second worst. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    cafcfan said:

A weakness but a common one in centre backs. Morrison, Cort, Taylor, Pearce etc weren’t known for their acceleration or quick feet. A good CB with pace won’t be in L1 very long, and those who read the game well can cover that weakness.
    Maybe a common weakness with CBs and I wouldn't argue at all with that. But to my eyes, when I saw Lavelle for the first time it was his slowness that exceptionally stood out. I really couldn't believe that we had signed such a slow player.

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

God I'd completely forgotten about Schwartz. He's another where we signed him even though he was not suited to the way we wanted to play. Obviously there were other issues there, including Covid, which the club couldn't control.

Okay, I amend it, Lavelle maybe the second worst. 

The Schwartz signing stunk of Sandgaard bringing a Dane over himself and the geezer being s***, I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    decent move for Lavelle .. I'm sure we never saw the best of him playing for us
  • Options

He joins a very long list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

mmm the truth is all too often unpalatable .. you still in Brazil Gazza, there for good or just a long trip ?
  • Options

mmm the truth is all too often unpalatable .. you still in Brazil Gazza, there for good or just a long trip ?

A lonnnnggggg trip.
  • Options

A lonnnnggggg trip.
    lovely , enjoy 
  • Options
    Tried his best but was so slow .
    Good luck on the move. Any room for DJ and Kirk in the taxi to Carlisle ? 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Pleased for Sam and for Cafc in Lavelle's move to Carlisle. 
    Mitchell and Deji can be options along with the 3 senior CB in Thomas, Hector and Jones. Plus Ness when he is fit for selection.

Good luck to Sam in 44 matches next season. 
  • Options
    Mitchell and Deji can be options along with the 3 senior CB in Thomas, Hector and Jones.

Ness too. Just a shame we don’t have any left footers, especially if we’re playing 3 CBs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Mitchell and Deji can be options along with the 3 senior CB in Thomas, Hector and Jones.

Ness too. Just a shame we don’t have any left footers, especially if we’re playing 3 CBs.
    That is the one aspect that we still need. Maybe a left back who can fill in LCB?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    cafcfan said:

Maybe a common weakness with CBs and I wouldn't argue at all with that. But to my eyes, when I saw Lavelle for the first time it was his slowness that exceptionally stood out. I really couldn't believe that we had signed such a slow player.

I think it's less common than when the first three were in their prime. Also, as more teams both press and look to keep the ball, you will get fewer Jason Pearce's. 

But you're right in that it's not a death knell for a CB. Hector is a good example where he isn't rapid (though I'd say quicker than the four listed) but his reading of the game makes it so that pace is rarely an issue (I also think he'll be in better shape going into this season, he hadn't played much in the previous 18 months when he joined us). 

Bauer was a good example of being slow but reading danger well. Tal Ben Haim was able to do pretty well with it in the Championship (with a very athletic CB next to him), but he looked so slow at Chelsea and City.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I thought Jones was a left footer.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I thought Jones was a left footer.
    He's not. He's right footed.