Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Thought he had potential last season but not showed any of it this year 
  • If he is not good enough for League 1, it is not his fault as long as he plays to his best ability, the fault lies with who brought him to the club. I do understand all the abuse he gets on here, he is not good enough, he cannot be any better, no matter how much he tries 
  • UEAAddick said:
    Met and had a long chat with him at the Sponsors Dinner last year. Very down to earth nice guy, chatted to me about a lot not just Charlton, but Morecombe, Adkins, Jacko, Settling in and my work too. 

Really wanted him to succeed. I don't think he's probably good enough for this level sadly but do think he's a honest player who worked hard for the team and was doing his best. Sadly his best wasn't good enough and was very limited.

Good luck to him.
    Good post. Again a reminder that players are real people, not just a commodity.

• edited July 2023
    Yup... He's off to Carlisle

Know it is out there already, Sam Lavelle joining Carlisle United. #cafc

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) July 7, 2023
  • edited July 2023
    Good luck to him, there's a decent player (although I'd say maybe L2 is his level), but was poor last season after being alright the year before.

Hope it works out, soft spot for Carlisle for obvious reasons!
  • Redhenry said:
    Good move for him League 1, good luck Sam.
    We never saw the best of him I dont think apart from the Brighton cup game, thought he was superb that night, just a shame he never got near that performance again. Good luck Sam.
  • For me I have nothing against Lavelle, but it opens the way for others like Deji.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sometimes moves just don't work out. This sounds like a good move for him, and the right "level" of club
  • Good move for him , shame it never quite worked out for him but he'll always have the winning penalty against Brighton. 
  • He's L2 level for me, so has done well there.

His time at Charlton was defined by his first and second touch on debut. Controlled a goal kick and hoofed it out of play aiming for Stockley. 
  • Hasn't worked out for him, just not good enough for us really. 
  • He's a battler who lost his fight while he was with us. He couldn't pick it back up at Burton but hopefully he can rediscover himself at Carlisle. They're newly promoted so he'll probably he doing a lot of firefighting while he's there and that should suit him, provided he remembers how to close down attackers and win duels again. He seems like a nice lad and I did have high hopes for him, hopefully this move works out for him
  • Holden’s comments here make me think of Lavelle.

Not that he didn’t put the effort in because I think he did, but handling that step up in expectations and continuing to improve as a player. That might be the biggest difference between Lavelle and someone like Lockyer who did well in the Championship and has continued to progress.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holden-really-comfortable-with-transfer-window-state-of-play-for-addicks/

We need to make sure we not only bring the right quality of player in but also the right mentality as well.
  • Scoham said:
    Holden’s comments here make me think of Lavelle.

Not that he didn’t put the effort in because I think he did, but handling that step up in expectations and continuing to improve as a player. That might be the biggest difference between Lavelle and someone like Lockyer who did well in the Championship and has continued to progress.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holden-really-comfortable-with-transfer-window-state-of-play-for-addicks/

We need to make sure we not only bring the right quality of player in but also the right mentality as well.
    With Lavelle I don't think it comes down to mentality, but ability. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

I disagree. Early on he looked like he might be okay to keep around as cover as a third or fourth choice at least, not as good as hoped maybe but "do a job."

But then his form collapsed and never got back. I think he's probably capable of playing at a mid-table L1 team but we really need to be looking at better than just "able to play."
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

Agreed, I just don't think he's quick enough, good enough in the air, or reads the game well enough. He's poor on the ball. 

May in and Lavelle out, really good day for transfer business. 
  • good luck Sam, just didn't work out for you with us.
  • edited July 2023
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Scoham said:

Agreed, I just don't think he's quick enough, good enough in the air, or reads the game well enough. He's poor on the ball. 
    I also agree. It's a struggle to pick out any real strengths in his game. I can't wrap my head around the fact Gallen said he watched him multiple times before signing him.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    All the best to him, didn't hide, just wasn't really quick enough to react or move. 
    He didn't 'hide'. He usually did when a striker turrned him very easily.
  • Another of an ever-growing list of players that have come and gone without making any real impact for us. Wish him well though.
  • Best wishes to Sam, hope your career is a success back up north.