Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    I thought he looked decent enough in pre-season, but certainly seems to be struggling since the competition stepped up.

Wonder if he is someone who will benefit from a run of games as opposed to starts here and there. 

Have to hope so as looks like he will be getting a lot of minutes next couple of months .
    I know I keep banging on about it but why don't we give our fringe players minutes in the u21s?

Its been a bug bear of mine for a while.  Its a win win as the u21s are a very young group and would benefit from some older heads.  The seniors would benefit for from the minutes.
  • Options
    Another unreal showing from Mr.Lavelle 
  • Options
    Start Elerewe next game please.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Not convinced he’s that good but he’s the only centre half that’s likely be here next season; well him and Clare .  
    . Mostly right .
  • Options
    Shit
  • Options
    League 2
  • Options
    I normally try to defend players but what a poor, poor signing he was 
  • Options
    We paid a rumoured £300K didn't we? For a lad who had never played higher than L2.  Doesn't look value for money. Hope he picks up. Seems a decent chap bit struggling badly
  • Options
    I mean, he's clearly a very good person, which is why it gives me no pleasure to get the digs in, but he's paid to perform, and I see that worst of things: a defender who hides 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful player, was never decent for us 
  • Options
    Awful player, was never decent for us 
    I think you may be right on reflection. Just went back and checked our results with Lavelle.

Conceded 56 in his 33 games he's started 28 of those...
  • Options
    He is so shit!
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leuth said:
    I mean, he's clearly a very good person, which is why it gives me no pleasure to get the digs in, but he's paid to perform, and I see that worst of things: a defender who hides 
    Yeah, he's slow and he gets caught flat footed so often. I don't know that he hides as much as he's just slow to everything. And he's not good on the ball. 

I wonder if wanting another CB had more to do with questions about his ability and Inniss' fitness than lack of numbers. We have those two, O'Connell, plus Deji and Ness. And we had Thomas training with us, who I think is a decent player at this level. That's six CBs.

But how many of them look ready for a League One promotion push? O'Connell and Inniss have it in them I believe. I think Thomas does too, but he didn't have a pre-season, had one league start, and got injured. I don't think Lavelle is up for it, and he doesn't look particularly close. Ness and Deji are both inexperienced. 

Unless Garner is ready to drop Lavelle, he and Inniss will be our CB for the next month or six weeks at least. We don't even have the cover at FB to bring Clare into a CB role in a back two. 
  • Options
    He hasn't played regularly for a good while and I don't think he and Innis are a good combination, if he had an O'Connell type player around him then maybe. Confidence is also a big factor and that's not going to be helped by the number of goals being shipped in since he returned. Bottom line is, if there are better players coming up behind him and if the answer is yes then his days are numbered. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Yeah, he's slow and he gets caught flat footed so often. I don't know that he hides as much as he's just slow to everything. And he's not good on the ball. 

I wonder if wanting another CB had more to do with questions about his ability and Inniss' fitness than lack of numbers. We have those two, O'Connell, plus Deji and Ness. And we had Thomas training with us, who I think is a decent player at this level. That's six CBs.

But how many of them look ready for a League One promotion push? O'Connell and Inniss have it in them I believe. I think Thomas does too, but he didn't have a pre-season, had one league start, and got injured. I don't think Lavelle is up for it, and he doesn't look particularly close. Ness and Deji are both inexperienced. 

Unless Garner is ready to drop Lavelle, he and Inniss will be our CB for the next month or six weeks at least. We don't even have the cover at FB to bring Clare into a CB role in a back two. 
    Agree with pretty much all of this. Lavelle was captain at his previous side for a reason and that’s because he is not the sort of character to hide.

The issue is at the moment is that he looks like a disaster waiting to happen both with the ball, and certainly when defensively protecting the channels. 

As SD mentions we have to hope it’s just an O’Connell like early season blip (though even then O’Connell was not that bad), and that his form comes with more game time - because as much as we love our youngsters here, and I’d be tempted to give him a go, I just can’t see Elewere being able to perform consistently at the level we need either (which is why he was out at loan in the national league so he could work on it).

• Options
    O'Connell and Lavelle might as well be playing different sports, especially on the ball, tbh
  • Options
    I say 'hides' because he stands off his man, lets them dictate. He's very passive. A committed character for sure but he doesn't make it difficult for the forward. Two games running a striker has advanced at him, turned inside and picked their spot in utter comfort
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Poor on the ball, not strong, not dominant in the air, not quick, not smart positionally, not particularly good at anything

This is someone Gallen said he watched a lot
    Reluctantly I have to agree, although he looked far better before his bad injury at Sunderland last season.
  • Options
    Lavelle is awful, he’s positioning is crap especially for a defender that has no pace, position is key if you lack pace. He’s been at fault for several goals this season by being turned too easy or hesitating at pivotal moments through his lack of pace and positioning. Drop him for Deji, he couldn’t do any worse.  
  • Options
    Being accused of hiding is ridiculous. He’s just not very good.
  • Options
    Had really high hopes for him when he signed.
    Appears to be well out of his depth unfortunately.
  • Options
    Yeh he’s dogshit , simple as 

nice lad probably trying bla bla 
    but he’s shit, not sure I’d even pick him for my Sunday outfit based on today , and that’s not even really sarcasm 
  • Options
    Last year after his 2 injuries it took him a while to get to his best, then he was good. Maybe he is one of those players who needs a good run of games......
  • Options
    I don’t remember him ever being good.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I thought he looked poor. Then injured. Then ok. Then injured. Then poor. Now terrible.

Has no standout qualities and lots of weaknesses. Hard to identify what our recruitment team ever saw in him. 

Shame, nice lad and all, but needs moving on. Not even good enough for backup. 
  • Options
    should not be near the first team even with the injuries we have.
  • Options
    Had really high hopes for him when he signed.
    Appears to be well out of his depth unfortunately.
    Same. Looks way off the pace.