Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    That’s fair but Dobson is also incredibly mobile and has played centre back in his past. Clare is very much a makeshift full back and I’d be concerned about him being part of a centre back pairing - in a three he had a lot more leeway than he would get in a two.

The last time he played centre back was over 7 years ago, in youth football, and in those games he played in that position, overall they conceded 19 goals in 13 matches, losing 8 and winning 5, hardly a ringing endorsement is it?!
  • Options
    Lavelle plays like a non physical lump. 
  • Options
    How is Deji getting on? Should we be recalling him 
    Good question. I don’t know the answer but it has to be worth considering.
  • Options
    I wasn't impressed when I first saw him. Surprisingly lightweight for such a big bloke. However, I warmed to him a bit at the end of last season, he can look composed and can knock the ball about well at times. He had a good game against Plymouth but sounds like he's had a bit of a shocker the last few games though. Those two freak injuries last season probably knocked his progress coming of a good season with Morecambe, which is a shame, as he was well liked there and seems like a good character. Maybe time for Thomas to get a game on Saturday if he's fit.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I wasn't impressed when I first saw him. Surprisingly lightweight for such a big bloke. However, I warmed to him a bit at the end of last season, he can look composed and can knock the ball about well at times. 
    We play in the Third Division of course, so from what I've seen Lavelle is generally dependable at this level.

But the first time I saw him play, I was surprised how one paced and ponderous he was - but otherwise decent enough with a good attitude.
    Needs to be paired with a quick CB.

• Options
    On his debut against Cheltenham I think it was....it had been mentioned he likes to pass the ball out from the back. We kicked off with a ball back to him, he launched a long 'pass' straight out of play. I thought ahhh.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    YTS1978 said:
    I wasn't impressed when I first saw him. Surprisingly lightweight for such a big bloke. However, I warmed to him a bit at the end of last season, he can look composed and can knock the ball about well at times. 
    We play in the Third Division of course, so from what I've seen Lavelle is generally dependable at this level.

But the first time I saw him play, I was surprised how one paced and ponderous he was - but otherwise decent enough with a good attitude.
    Needs to be paired with a quick CB.

Indeed. He's not aggressive enough for me. Too nice to be a centre half maybe?

@mendonca remember that game too. Was sat in the NW quadrant and had a perfect view of the flight of his "pass" forward haha!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    He was second choice after Jason Kerr signed for Wigan. He’s now playing in the Championship for them so chose the right club at the time.

I still like Lavelle but I’m now more and more convinced he’s not a starter in a promotion side.
  • Options
    He just looks so heavy footed every time he runs. Maybe he could work in the middle of a back 3 but the more I watch him the less I think he'll eventually turn good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Virtually all his playing experience before joining us was in L2

Yes it's a slightly unfair comparison but when you look at some of our previous CBs in L1
    Pearce - over a 100 games in the Championship before joining us
    Sarr and Bauer - expensive signings from high level overseas clubs
    Oshilaja - over 100 games in L1 before joining us
    Bielik - high level pedigree, way better than L1
    Konsa - now a PL player
    Famewo - one good season, one poor season, but hard to argue that Lavelle is better than him
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Started slow for us. Thought he was starting to find his feet, then got injured. Came back, slow start, started to looked alright, got injured again. Thought he was starting to settle and show some decent form at the end of last season. Expected him to kick on this season. It hasn't happened. Has no stand out qualities (not fast, not strong, not dominant in the air etc. etc.). He's not especially terrible at anything, he's just kind of mediocre, but not really in a Steady Eddie 7 out of 10 every week way, just in a kind of "m'eh" way. He hasn't had many absolute strikers for us, but I can't recall any really good performances either.

Likeable lad, but not close to the standard we need as first choice at centre back. When you think of the centre backs that have got us out of this division in the past - Morrison, Taylor, Cort, Bauer, Pearce, Sarr, Bielik (on and off), he wouldn't get near the team if they were around now. Neither would O'Connell. A fit on form Innis might, but he's another one seemingly going backwards lately.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    He was second choice after Jason Kerr signed for Wigan. He’s now playing in the Championship for them so chose the right club at the time.

I still like Lavelle but I’m now more and more convinced he’s not a starter in a promotion side.
    From what I remember, we were signing Lavelle and had him down for his medical when we heard Kerr was available. We started pursuing Kerr, didn't get him and went back to Lavelle.
  • Options
    Proper bang average mid table league one player. 
  • Options
    Every game I’ve seen him play he’s been poor to very poor, needs to be replaced asap imo.
  • Options
    This player is struggling for whatever reason, suspect ability is being found out at this level and with the weight of expectation on his shoulders. Needs a while away from the first team squad IMHO. Put Thomas in or on the bench. Recall Elewere if need be, whatever, just need to remove a problem. O’Connell needs a go on his natural side too…
  • Options
    Awful, awful defender. Get rid in January please 
  • Options
    Looking worse than Coalvilles counterparts.
  • Options
    He is a donkey, sadly.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Who's gonna sign him? He's shocking 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Who's gonna sign him? He's shocking 
    Morecambe hopefully, seeing how he somehow became Captain there 
  • Options
    I said this last year on another thread and was roundly “lolled”.  As ever, I wish I’d been wrong, but he has nothing , bar being a good guy 
  • Options
    Great defending to stop that cross reaching the man. Made up for his mistake earli
  • Options
    deji surely a better option?
  • Options
    I've been unconvinced by him ever since he joined. Seems a nice lad off the pitch, and I can see why he captained Morecambe for so long, but unfortunately he's just not very good at football. Which is a pretty big problem. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:
    deji surely a better option?
    Option for what?  Long term investment certainly, although I am not convinced Deji will live up to the early hype.

The rest of this season probably not, that doesn't mean I rate Lavelle but chucking Deji in with no proper cover could ruin him in the medium term and his hardly ripping up the national league.
    Might also do well alongside an assuring O'Connell who appears a good leader in defence.

Less so when alongside the hot headed Inniss
  • Options
    Of all the signings last season I thought Lavelle might be quite an astute one.  It just doesn’t look like it will work out in the long term.  These things are always worth a shot, some pay off some don’t.  We’re certainly exposed for the next few weeks at CB with Thomas getting injured today.  

• Options
    Great defending to stop that cross reaching the man. Made up for his mistake earli
    I thought it was McGrandles who made the block
  • Options
    I thought he looked decent enough in pre-season, but certainly seems to be struggling since the competition stepped up.

Wonder if he is someone who will benefit from a run of games as opposed to starts here and there. 

Have to hope so as looks like he will be getting a lot of minutes next couple of months .