Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    On Tuesday he reiterated that he'd be back fit for pre-season but he will need two weeks out at some point next season to get a metal plate removed from his shoulder. Not sure when but suggested an international break or if he gets a niggle
    By the sound of it, it's an operation he can schedule entirely at our convenience, which is handy. 
  • Options
    Change thread title please! 
  • Options
    Done! 👍
  • Options
    Going to be important for us this season. His leadership will see us through some tougher moments.
  • Options
  • Options
    Also have to post this somewhere because some of Lavelle’s impressions are brilliant. Seems like a great bloke for the dressing room. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope he stays in the team. 
  • Options
    Also have to post this somewhere because some of Lavelle’s impressions are brilliant. Seems like a great bloke for the dressing room. 👍
    Based purely on those impressions I want a sitcom where CBT and Stockley are the main duo.

But on a more serious note it looks like the team spirit and camaderie is the real deal, these feel like an actual team again not just 11 guys wearing the same shirt like it sometimes seemed last season.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Turning out to be quite a disappointing signing.

Doesn't seem to have much to his game. Not very strong, not dominating in the air, not fast... What does he offer?

Three-year contract and a fee paid showed the club obviously had big belief in him.
  • Options
    Another one Garner is lumbered with and unable to shift on. 
  • Options
    I actually think there is a good player in there somewhere ( definitely better than O'Connell , who's pony) but yesterday was his worst game in a Charlton shirt and i can see both being dropped for the Oxford game. 
  • Options
    All our centre backs are cumbersome and laboured. The much vaunted O’Connell is awful. Lavelle and O’Connell are league two players. Inniss is a liability for both fitness and red mist. We won’t keep clean sheets enough to push on. That’s without not scoring enough goals.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Rarely notice him when he’s playing to be honest. And that’s the probably with many players in our squad - just seem so bland with no real distinctive traits to work with.
  • Options
    I was happy that we had signed a big, young central defender .. unfortunately he has not 'trained on' .. one of several signings to whom this applies
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    He gets the odd goal from set pieces which is useful in a side which lacks goals.

I think last season he scored 3 or 4 despite missing many matches with his long term injuries. Charltonised on joining some might say.

I'm not saying he's the best centre half in the world but he's the most reliable that we have presently given the twin tendencies of Inniss to get injured or attract a red card via red mist.

He skippered Morecambe so may display leadership qualities if and when he plays more matches for us.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I actually think there is a good player in there somewhere ( definitely better than O'Connell , who's pony) but yesterday was his worst game in a Charlton shirt and i can see both being dropped for the Oxford game. 
    Interested to hear what you see as his qualities?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's not really impressed, a panic signing on deadline day wasn't he? 
  • Options
    At this rate, i can see Thomas getting a start soon…
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    At this rate, i can see Thomas getting a start soon…
    I think he’ll start next game.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Hold my hands up I thought Lavelle should be starting but he's very average at best. Jason Pearce would probably be first choice at this point if he was still playing which says it all. 
  • Options
    Radical idea maybe but I’d like to see Dobson play centre back next to O’Connell for a couple of games and give Clare a go in midfield now that we have Egbo and Sess back and available.
    For me it would be Clare with O'Connell, the lack of mobility from Lavelle and O'Connell was the defensive problem yesterday.
  • Options
    That’s fair but Dobson is also incredibly mobile and has played centre back in his past. Clare is very much a makeshift full back and I’d be concerned about him being part of a centre back pairing - in a three he had a lot more leeway than he would get in a two.
  • Options
    Square pegs, round holes. This is why we are where we are atm. Let's have some more square pegs eh? Pointless signing Thomas and not play him before a midfield enforcer. He is a defender after all. 
  • Options
    How is Deji getting on? Should we be recalling him 
  • Options
    He was as much at fault for the 3rd goal…..ball watching leaving the forward totally free….get Brownie in as defensive coach