Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    In the same article Jacko goes on to say:

“There were some tired boys in the changing room. It’s about patching up as best we can.”

Yeah, we've just played Saturday, Tuesday ..... but then of course, so did our opponenents.

I get that can particularly take it's toll of more veteran players and those vulnerable to further injury but ...... why are the fit lads in their prime struggling for fitness? Is it down to how we use the 3-5-2 system compared to our opponent's gameplan?

Just food for thought. 

• Options
    The last 3 seasons have been wrecked by injuries to key players. Is it just bad luck? Or poor recruitment choices?
  • Options
    What makes his sending off worse is that he had the ball under control and then over hit it, causing him to chase after it. It’s wasn’t like the ball was fired at him and his second touch was a tackle.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    The last 3 seasons have been wrecked by injuries to key players. Is it just bad luck? Or poor recruitment choices?
    the third possibility being deficiencies in the backroom staff, covering fitness and medical. In the case of Lavelle it clearly isn't poor recruitment choice in that respect. Inniss clearly was a risk given his injury record, but as I recall it was a low -cost risk and we mainly get upset because he has often looked so strong at this level. Lyle Taylor's injury was really bad luck though. He said at the time it was the first time he'd had a long injury, and he was already what, 29?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Player comes to us with no history of injuries and then in his first season for us, he's out long term. Comes back from that injury and then he's out for the season. 

When will it stop?
    Reminder that "for the season" is just a few weeks.
  • Options
    Clare, Pearce and Famewo did well before Christmas 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    the third possibility being deficiencies in the backroom staff, covering fitness and medical. In the case of Lavelle it clearly isn't poor recruitment choice in that respect. Inniss clearly was a risk given his injury record, but as I recall it was a low -cost risk and we mainly get upset because he has often looked so strong at this level. Lyle Taylor's injury was really bad luck though. He said at the time it was the first time he'd had a long injury, and he was already what, 29?
    We must also put into context Inniss' signing ...... We'd been under transfer embargo with a depleted and way understrength squad, plugged with raw unready youngsters.

Having been rescued by Thomas towards the end of September, and with the embargo at last lifted, we were very late to the final couple of weeks remaining of the transfer window. Anyone that was very decent had already been snapped up by other clubs - and we were shopping not just at Lidl but in their 'clearance' box for the players that nobody else seemed to want ....... for example, players like Marcus Maddison and Omar Bogle.

Needing to add quality to the squad, with the window soon to 'slam shut' we found ourselves in a position where perhaps it was worth a gamble to sign  'high risk' players. As you say, maybe we should include Ryan Innis amongst them? 

Add in the salary cap too - we were very limited in terms of the wages we could offer. From memory it worked out at around £1.7k a week per player for anyone signed after the cut off point (in July?).
  • Options
    Real shame for him, as I was just beginning to warm to him in recent games, where he seemed to be quietly in charge in the centre of the 3 man defence. 

However...when he went down in the first half, as a result of that ridiculous hospital ball from Elliott Lee (who should be fined for it if there was any justice), Terry Smith mentioned that "he had been nursing a shoulder injury" (or maybe Terry said "niggle"), I can't recall, coming into the game. It does call into question whether he should have been declared fit, or whether it wouldn't have been better to start Famewo there. It's not as if the game was crucial. Then again I'm not sure Inniss was ready, physically or mentally, so I suppose there were some difficult choices. 
    Pearce was also available, and the obvious replacement for the centre position.
    Was he available? Curbs, for one, seemed unsure about that.

he travelled with the squad apparently.
    Travelled, but not on the bench. Going to be interesting to see Clare - Pearce - Famewo combination. I think they’ve played together before maybe?
  • Options
    one day we will sign a player who stays fit, red card free and can play every game .. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon this club is cursed when it comes to injuries. Did someone run over Roland’s black cat 
  • Options
    one day we will sign a player who stays fit, red card free and can play every game .. 
    We did. Keith Peacock. :wink:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    I reckon this club is cursed when it comes to injuries. Did someone run over Roland’s black cat 
    No. Roland ran over our's.

• Options
    George Dobson?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    George Dobson?
    That’s jinxed it…😏
  • Options
    I mean, Dobson was quite lucky to stay on last game... 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, Dobson was quite lucky to stay on last game... 
    Behave
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Very happy with this news.
    Shows the good steady intentions of the club. 
    Feels like patience and thought has gone into this window.
    Weaknesses identified, scouting working and deals sensibly executed. 
    Solid foundations to build on.
    Reassuring. 
    Well done to everyone involved. 
    This aged well!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Why do we keep getting all these injuries? I mean it's year on year, this isn't an isolated case. 
    I mean dislocated shoulders are very, very rare. Remember when we got two in one game?!
    A Derek Ufton for the 21st Century?
  • Options
    Let’s hope not, for his sake, as Derek once told me his shoulder popped out more than 15 times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is just unlucky. The lad has never had an injury previously and now has had 2 this season  you cant allow for that can you ? Sure when you sign players like Innis, Chuks etc you know what your getting but that isnt the case here
  • Options
    Sam Lavelle is similar to a young Jason Pearce but hopefully will be a tad better on the ball and will get Jason's fighting spirit.

Two bad injuries for Sam are Jack shit to do with our training methods or medical staff as the medical staff have changed a lot over the last 8 years or so. More of a curse that we seem to always have players getting injured.

It was typical that Sam was looking stronger and more confident after playing a few games in a row and then gets injured.
  • Options
    Sam Lavelle is similar to a young Jason Pearce but hopefully will be a tad better on the ball and will get Jason's fighting spirit.

Two bad injuries for Sam are Jack shit to do with our training methods or medical staff as the medical staff have changed a lot over the last 8 years or so. More of a curse that we seem to always have players getting injured.

It was typical that Sam was looking stronger and more confident after playing a few games in a row and then gets injured.
    He isn’t better on the ball than Jason.  

Agreed - his injuries have been extremely bad luck .  The injuries to the crocks - Inniss and Aneke are not.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

He isn’t better on the ball than Jason.  

Agreed - his injuries have been extremely bad luck .  The injuries to the crocks - Inniss and Aneke are not.  

I said "but hopefully will be a tad better on the ball than Jason Pearce."

Sam Lavelle is 25 and Jason Pearce is 34 so as Sam plays more games in a row he will get better and more confident in League one. 
    This injury has set him back again but with Ryan Inniss leaving at the end of this season, and Jason doing more coaching we need to get young Deji Elerewe playing. I believe he is injured ?

• Options
    Been injured for some time, has Deji. Sadly that means a season without much development as been a while.
  • Options
    Will be enjoying his summer rehab in the sunny resort town of Blackpool then.

Like this lad more and more over time. Fingers crossed for no freak injuries next season.
  • Options
    Sounds a good, lively and energetic lad!