Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    I'd forgotten all about him tbh. Can't say I was surprised though when I saw his name on the team sheet for the bottom club in the league.
  • Options
    Horrendous CB. One of the worst we’ve had in recent years and doesn’t seem to have got any better at Carlisle. League 2 or national league level defender. Must have been a cheap option when we signed him
  • Options
    edited March 11
    Sam Lavelle had a successful time at Morecambe where he was captain when they won the play off final on 31/05/21.
    139 games for the shrimps where he appeared to be a big fish in a small sea unlike Cafc where he looked out of his depth after signing on 31/08/21. Gallen admitted that Lavelle was 2nd choice to the the St Johnson captain CB who went to Wigan and along with Ipswich were big spenders in that August Window in League 1.

At 27 he will be back in League 2 next season where Sam should do ok.
  • Options
    Scored the equaliser at Brunton Park against us, so perhaps inevitable he would be involved in another goal on Saturday.

The photo in that article shows him taking to the Charlton groundstaff, so seems a decent enough individual.
  • Options
    Strange player who doesn't seem to have any real strengths to his game. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I wish him well. I'm sure he'll play a blinder against us when we play Carlisle this season. 
    Spot on as always!

With a slight alteration, Golfie was correct ?

I wish him Well. I'm sure he'll play a blinder for us when we play Carlisle this season.
  • Options
    He's a CB that can be destroyed if a forward runs at him. Confidence player who suffers with slow feet and no acceleration.

Needs to play in combination with a quicker CB and other defenders, who can compensate his deficiencies.

As captain found his niche in that Morecambe team, where he could do a job where he wasn't exposed so much on the floor and team mates covered. 

He was never going to get that luxury at Charlton  :)
  • Options
    Funny how quickly we forget just how dreadful so many of the recent players truly were.  Lavelle's absence of quality finally paid us back, just a bit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could have probably prevented the third goal if he'd run back to help his goalkeeper rather than giving up after under-hitting the backpass.

Gave Alfie enough time to control and score.
  • Options
    I still remember Lavelle's debut. After saying he likes to pass it out and play with the ball at feet. 

Kick off
    Pass back to our new signing
    Hoofed out into touch aiming for Stockley
    :-/
  • Options
    Terrible player, obvs wasn't scouted properly by our club at the time
  • Options
    Awful player who we actually paid a fee for if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    I remember an away defeat to Lincoln with him, Gilbey, Arter and Kirk in the side. Fucking hell, grim days. (Lavelle actually scored at least. He was generally awful though yeah)
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58853255

Ouch. That starting lineup for us is full of players now in L2 or poor L1 sides, or retired. Famewo is the only one playing at a higher level. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Was an obvious panic buy as we were desperate for a centre back on deadline day, and missed out on Jason Kerr who went to Wigan and would have been a good signing 
  • Options
    From the official website - you couldn't make it up.

Lavelle has signed a three-year deal with the Addicks and becomes Charlton’s second signing of deadline day following the arrival of Harry Arter on Tuesday afternoon.

The former Scottish youth international impressed Charlton’s recruitment team with his leadership, aerial ability and his ball-playing skills.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible player, non league at best.
  • Options
    edited March 11
    NabySarr said:
    Redhenry said:
    Was an obvious panic buy as we were desperate for a centre back on deadline day, and missed out on Jason Kerr who went to Wigan and would have been a good signing 
    Lavelle had already made his way to London to sign for us when we heard Kerr was available and went for him instead. Lavelle was left sat in the hotel, waiting to see how that panned out. When Kerr went somewhere else, we went back to Lavelle. I recall thinking what a brutal game football  is.

So in that sense was not really a panic buy. I also recall Gallen talking at length about how much he'd watched him and what a good player he was. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58853255

Ouch. That starting lineup for us is full of players now in L2 or poor L1 sides, or retired. Famewo is the only one playing at a higher level. 
    And the best bit is, I was fucking there 
  • Options
    Gunter and Souare have to be one of the worst fullback pairings we've fielded in a game. 
  • Options
    You look at that and you're like, fucking hell. Poor Adkins. Even if he was (possibly, I forget, might have been injured) leaving Dobson out for that 
  • Options
    Lavelle is one of the first players I properly turned on in years. I hate giving grief to our players and I always want to give them a chance but he was a non- ball playing centre back who didn't win headers, didn't make tackles and didn't close down shots. If you're going to be rubbish with the ball at least be able to lump it somewhere. Watching Lavelle hover in the box with his hands behind his back giving L2 level strikers the chance to pick their spot unopposed used to drive me insane. He obviously had a good run with Morecambe but I really wouldn't be surprised to see him drop down to non-league before long as he just seems to be getting worse and worse. Which is a shame really because by all accounts he appears to be an absolutely lovely bloke. Shame really.
  • Options
    Also gave us the best moment in the last 4 years of supporting the club. Football is weird 
  • Options
    He owed us a couple of goals.  Much appreciated, Sam.
  • Options
    Bad move for all involved, reckon if he had stayed in the NW he would have been ok, but along with Kirk they came south and didn't settle and looked shit for it. Don't think his career will get any better then his peak at Morecambe