Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which Steak .......Advice please

Comments

• Carter said:
    I'd always been a rare man until a steak genius told me about the different cuts and how they are cooked to taste their best

Rib eye should be medium, the fat needs to cook through and soften, if its good rib eye it will stand up to it and the place you are going to should have good quality meat. 

Fillet is a gorgeous texture and medium rare is the way to go with that the only thing I find with fillet is it doesn't have the flavour of rib eye and needs a good flavoured butter or sauce to spice it up. Either way, Gauchos is a fun place to eat and get pissed if someone else is paying and from the singular time I've been there it was full of people smashing the granny out of their corporate cards 
    Go with this advice. Spot on.

• For me it depends on the class of restaurant.  If you are at an average restaurant/ steakhouse, go with the filet medium rare because even a lesser cut of filet will be pretty tender and flavorful.   In America, if you go to a bbq restaurant, get a smoked tri tip medium which is a good cut for low and slow cooking.  For a really nice/expensive steakhouse, go for a flat iron if they have it (not common) only if it is medium rare and a high quality meat. Otherwise go for the ribeye.  For a break the bank steakhouse get a tomahawk ribeye on the bone, medium and then get a second job to be able to pay for it.  
  • I'm not having a fillet unless it's inside a Beef Wellington. A steak should have some marbling. Medium-rare ribeye for me. Or a Tomahawk if it's a celebration.
  • I went to Gouchos once.
    Much to my surprise they presented the raw steak to me for approval before it was cooked. 
    I've never experienced that before or since. 
    What would they have done if you had said no. Came back with an alternate or did you have several to choose from?
  • Chunes said:
    I'm not having a fillet unless it's inside a Beef Wellington. A steak should have some marbling. Medium-rare ribeye for me. Or a Tomahawk if it's a celebration.

100% this.
  • Fillet, medium.

Love one now but not had steak for about two years but will again as soon as I can.
  • Medium-rare Ribeye or Rare Fillet
  • I went to Gouchos once.
    Much to my surprise they presented the raw steak to me for approval before it was cooked. 
    I've never experienced that before or since. 
    At least they didn't lead a cow out!
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Medium-rare Ribeye or Rare Fillet
    Nooooo….for those that know, it’s rib-eye or nothing. We are talking about red meat. There’s a health payback if you eat too much of it so you should not waste your opportunities to eat a good steak if you have a choice and pass if it’s only your second choice
  • Haven’t been to Gaucho since pre lockdown

In my experience all the cuts they have there are delicious and have often ordered the cheaper cuts of meat like rump as you can get a larger cut for the same price as a fillet if like me you’re eyes are bigger than your belly when you go in

If I was there today it would be a rib eye medium (take Carter’s advice) with a bernaise sauce on the side and a share of the creamed spinach and Mac n cheese

Got to go all in when you go to these places so skip breakfast 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• I get all the comments on cooking longer to let the fat melt, but I love my steak rare. Trying to build the courage to order a blue steak, and I love tartar so think I would like it, but I haven’t been brave enough yet.
  • Another rib-eye like this one please!
  • 'Mac n Cheese' with fillet steak?

Philistine.
  • edited September 2021
    With steak you trade off texture (bite) for flavour.

At one end you have rump which has a full flavour but has more of a chew to it. This is because the muscle from which the cut comes does more work.
    At the other end you have fillet which has a much subtler flavour but a very soft texture. This is because the muscle from which the comes does little work.
    Sirloin and rib-eye lay somewhere between the two.

For me - fillet does not provide enough flavour and I rarely go for it - especially as it will be one of the dearer cuts. I will order rump far more often than fillet.

My 'go to' is usually Sirloin (or NY Strip) as this has the right trade off between flavour and texture. I will order it rare as it gives a little leeway if it is slightly overcooked and comes up medium rare.

Although Gaucho is not the great experience that it once was - it will still provide a very good quality steak.....enjoy! 

Don't worry about any perceived steak snobbery though......have what you want - and how you want it. If you want it well done....ask for it well done. If you want white wine with it.....ask for white wine.
  • Slightly off topic - I have just bought a gas pizza oven with some accompanying cast iron cookware.

I intend to use this for cooking steak in (temp goes up to appx 500 degrees c. Will be interesting to see the results (and how much steak I ruin).
  • Or, if they have it go for the Wagyu/Kobe!
  • Or, if they have it go for the Wagyu/Kobe!
    Or, even better, Miyazaki! 
  • Waiting for Seth to tell us his fave cut.
  • Chunes said:
    I'm not having a fillet unless it's inside a Beef Wellington. A steak should have some marbling. Medium-rare ribeye for me. Or a Tomahawk if it's a celebration.
    Never tried ordering beef Wellington at a top steak restaurant...
  • With steak you trade off texture (bite) for flavour.

At one end you have rump which has a full flavour but has more of a chew to it. This is because the muscle from which the cut comes does more work.
    At the other end you have fillet which has a much subtler flavour but a very soft texture. This is because the muscle from which the comes does little work.
    Sirloin and rib-eye lay somewhere between the two.

For me - fillet does not provide enough flavour and I rarely go for it - especially as it will be one of the dearer cuts. I will order rump far more often than fillet.

My 'go to' is usually Sirloin (or NY Strip) as this has the right trade off between flavour and texture. I will order it rare as it gives a little leeway if it is slightly overcooked and comes up medium rare.

Although Gaucho is not the great experience that it once was - it will still provide a very good quality steak.....enjoy! 

Don't worry about any perceived steak snobbery though......have what you want - and how you want it. If you want it well done....ask for it well done. If you want white wine with it.....ask for white wine.
    That’s the best advice on the thread 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Slightly off topic - I have just bought a gas pizza oven with some accompanying cast iron cookware.

I intend to use this for cooking steak in (temp goes up to appx 500 degrees c. Will be interesting to see the results (and how much steak I ruin).
    Some say the secret of a good steak is to cook it quickly at as high a temperature as you are able - seared on the outside juicy and tender on the inside.

The best steak I've ever had was cooked that way in ovens that go to stupid temperatures - Ramsay's place in Grosvenor Square - used to be the Maze Grill (and yes it was on my Company credit card!). Prime USDA ribeye cooked medium rare that had an incredible taste but had the softest texture like eating candy floss! 

Gaucho are good (my favourite is the one in More London) and Hawksmoor even better.
  • @bobmunro beat me to it, Hawksmoor is better than Gaucho, and they do a fantastic sirloin, medium rare, cooked on their charcoal grills is hard to beat
  • Rothko said:
    @bobmunro beat me to it, Hawksmoor is better than Gaucho, and they do a fantastic sirloin, medium rare, cooked on their charcoal grills is hard to beat
    Agreed. Always use the Hawksmoor in Deansgate whenever I'm staying over in Manchester, usually for boxing or a concert at the arena.  
  • As has been said Gaucho is not the best choice in London as is overpriced for what it is however as it isn't your decision it's not terrible. Hawksmoor is my favourite steak restaurant however the best piece of steak I've had in London was at Goodman but for overall menu and experience Hawksmoor still wins.

Rib eye is the correct answer for steak (although if being greedy/sharing then T bone), I'm a big fan of having steak done rare however a rib eye is usually best done medium rare to allow some of the fat inside it to render down a bit more.
  • If I’m paying Medium rare ribeye and a decent red wine can’t be beaten.

if it’s on expenses it’s Kobe / Wagyu with a more expensive red wine.

steak is just glorious and I’ll often add a little peppercorn sauce to it too 

some of the places I went to in New York were just unbelievable.  In the meat packing district they really get the good stuff and this was reflected in the prices (but this was all on expenses).  I had a couple of sensational years working out there entertaining clients with a corporate card and a piss head for a boss
  • Swisdom said:
    If I’m paying Medium rare ribeye and a decent red wine can’t be beaten.

if it’s on expenses it’s Kobe / Wagyu with a more expensive red wine.

steak is just glorious and I’ll often add a little peppercorn sauce to it too 

some of the places I went to in New York were just unbelievable.  In the meat packing district they really get the good stuff and this was reflected in the prices (but this was all on expenses).  I had a couple of sensational years working out there entertaining clients with a corporate card and a piss head for a boss

Had an incredible NY Strip in Club A Steakhouse on E 58th St a couple of years ago.
  • Also if you're in Blackheath, Buenos Aires Cafe does a really good steak 
  • Ask your host for their advice, explaining as you did here that you have not eaten a lot of it. If they have chosen this restaurant they obviously love steak, will have an opinion, and will love sharing it with you. 
    Do you dislike blood or don’t mind pink? Also very unlikely that they will choose a bad one for you.

If it is not appropriate/embarrassed to do that, go rib eye medium. Middle cut, middle cooked. Also very tasty!
  • Another rib-eye like this one please!
    This is a slice from a roasted rib joint, nice but prefer flame grilled as a steak.