Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which Steak .......Advice please

Comments

• Options
    Fillet Steak Rare all day long! 

With a peppercorn sauce!
  • Options
    Good to see some educated and cultured people on here.  Pretty sure we've had this topic before on here but a medium rib-eye is the best by a country mile IMHO. My Mrs used to prefer fillet but she's even converted now.

More of a fan of Hawksmoor than Goucho tbh .  Best 3 steaks I've had, 2 were in Vegas - Andiamo near Freemont St and Rose Rabbit Lie (the supper club at the Cosmopolitan), which has sadly just closed down.  The other was as Il Chianti in Rome (restaurant I've recommended on here several times previously).  Arguably the worst steak I've had anywhere was in a Gordon Ramsay restaurant in London.  Trying to remember the name of the restaurant now, my wife will remember it, but I sent it back.  It came out like the sole of a shoe.  Totally inedible.

I can cook steak reasonably well at home but the best steak I've had outside of a restaurant was cooked on my brother-in-laws Braai in South Africa.  Medium rare, seasoned with braai salt.  The steak came from their own slaughter house on the farm.  Hmmm. 

(Yet I can sort of see why my sister-in-law has gone veggie!)
  • Options
    I went to Gouchos once.
    Much to my surprise they presented the raw steak to me for approval before it was cooked. 
    I've never experienced that before or since. 
    What would they have done if you had said no. Came back with an alternate or did you have several to choose from?
    I can't remember tbh, I may have had a drink or two.
  • Options
    I went to Gouchos once.
    Much to my surprise they presented the raw steak to me for approval before it was cooked. 
    What would they have done if you had said no. Came back with an alternate or did you have several to choose from?
    It’s not a case of saying yes or no. They used to bring out all the different cuts of steak to help you choose which you wanted.
  • Options
    My favourite was a medium fillet with half a lobster on top with all the proper sides and sauces served on separate dishes, grilled in front of us on a beachside restaurant in Bloody Bay Jamaica. 

Mind you the pre meal rum punches and local herbs may have effected my taste buds and appetite a wee bit.
  • Options
    I went to Gouchos once.
    They do that at Goodmans
  • Options
    Subways steak baguette is strongly recommended 
  • Options
    I like a ribeye steak 🥩 medium to well.
  • Options
    Fillet steak Medium rare all the way. Don’t forget the Bearnaise sauce. 
  • Options
    whatever steak it is it has to be done medium/rare, like a bit of blood oozing out. Not a fan of fillet, we have it at home and it's from the local butchers but not much flavour. I'm ok with rib-eye or rump or even sirloin, not too fussy. Not had a T-Bone for ages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I loved the steaks in Chicago. They char them so much on the outside it looks like they're practically burnt. But inside is rare and delicious and the char is just a very intense sear.  

There's a great place called Au Cheval where they cook the burgers the same way.
  • Options
    Not many shouts for rump steak,  a rare rump steak is my usual option. 

• Options
    As it comes, as long as its tender
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Good to see some educated and cultured people on here.  Pretty sure we've had this topic before on here but a medium rib-eye is the best by a country mile IMHO. My Mrs used to prefer fillet but she's even converted now.

More of a fan of Hawksmoor than Goucho tbh .  Best 3 steaks I've had, 2 were in Vegas - Andiamo near Freemont St and Rose Rabbit Lie (the supper club at the Cosmopolitan), which has sadly just closed down.  The other was as Il Chianti in Rome (restaurant I've recommended on here several times previously).  Arguably the worst steak I've had anywhere was in a Gordon Ramsay restaurant in London.  Trying to remember the name of the restaurant now, my wife will remember it, but I sent it back.  It came out like the sole of a shoe.  Totally inedible.

I can cook steak reasonably well at home but the best steak I've had outside of a restaurant was cooked on my brother-in-laws Braai in South Africa.  Medium rare, seasoned with braai salt.  The steak came from their own slaughter house on the farm.  Hmmm. 

I went to a Braai house in Mauritius - had a 1kg tomahawk and it was possibly the best steak I’ve ever had. It only came with 13 fries (yes I counted) which looked slightly amusing sitting next to a giant slab of steak. The owner spent a good 25/30 minutes at our table telling us about the pros of using braai & how good South African steak was - never knew somebody could be so passionate about cooking meat.
  • Options
    Gauchos did an amazing offer during July where you got the % off the food bill in line with the age decade of the oldest person - or if you took a 74 year old with you then you got 70% off the food bill.  
  • Options
    Gauchos did an amazing offer during July where you got the % off the food bill in line with the age decade of the oldest person - or if you took a 74 year old with you then you got 70% off the food bill.  
    I'll get my ma in law out the nursing home
    They'll be paying me  :)
  • Options
    Take your squirrel up here @Covered End

https://roadkill.me.uk/
  • Options
    I can’t remember it being on the menu at Goucho, it’s been a while. But in a good French or Italian restaurant, I find it hard to look past a Chateaubriand cooked to the Chef’s recommendation - typically rare or medium rare.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I loved the steaks in Chicago. They char them so much on the outside it looks like they're practically burnt. But inside is rare and delicious and the char is just a very intense sear.  

There's a great place called Au Cheval where they cook the burgers the same way.
    That’s how I like it. I get a flame going on the bbq with some wood to really get a charting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stewart said:
    This thread is so much better than that bloody vegan one.
    Agreed but it’s getting quite long, perhaps we need a bite size one
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I never had a steak when I was in Vegas. Had a few beef curtains though.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Well done sir.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I went to Gouchos once.
    They do that at Goodmans
    Goodmans beats Hawksmoor and Gaucho’s.
  • Options
    Always thought the best steaks were in either South Africa or Argentina. Had many wonderful steaks in South Africa but only been to Argentinian restaurants. Best steak I've ever has was then in Orlando, much to the consternation of my SA friends! But we did learn about how to cook a steak in SA
  • Options
    Ribeye, medium the tastiest steak you’ll ever have so no sauces etc to spoil it and whether it’s an expensive or pretentious restaurant or not eat it with chips and some peas to complement the flavour. You won’t want to eat any other cut of steak after that. If the menu only offers it (or any other steak) with a sauce, ask for it without the sauce and if they can’t do that, find another restaurant. 

Every word is true.
  • Options
    So @holyjo requests advise on choosing a steak and now to date has 87 different options and opinions from the CL faithful. 

I'd hate to be on his table when he has to make his final decision.  :/

• Options
    edited September 2021
    JohnBoyUK said:

I was on a stag night in Vegas when early into the evening the plan was to make sure our stomachs were fully lined ahead of the expected alcohol intake and the fact that the wedding was the next day (never a good idea) and we all ordered steaks. Nobody finished their steak because they were just too big.
  • Options
    Ribeye for me.