Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which Steak .......Advice please

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    I assume he has been taken out for lunch now so the books open for what he actually ordered.
    I’m obviously going for the Rib Eye Medium.
    Fillet, medium to well done.
  • Options
    In Amsterdam a few years ago and there seemed to be dozens of Argentinian Restaurants. Has that always been the case in Amsterdam or is it a new thing (do the Dutch have "Argentinians" like we have "Indians")??
    There is small Argentinian restaurant I have visited in Amsterdam a couple of times (and I can’t remember the name - probably all the weed I smoked out there) and the steak is excellent. 

Another top notch one was in Valencia - you pick your cut and then cook it yourself on a hot plate at your table. 

I’m terms of having one in England - Goodman’s is my favourite- never had a bad one in there. 
    Weren't called Ranchos by any chance was it? I went to an Argentine steak house near the bulldog cafe and that was amazing! 
  • Options
    So after all the great advice I had a medium T bone which came as medium rare and I had to send it back 😂😂

The City was so quiet . Only 6 people in the restaurant 
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    So after all the great advice I had a medium T bone which came as medium rare and I had to send it back 😂😂

So, after all that advice you went for a steak that was only mentioned in passing. What was it that convinced you that it was the one for you?
    Would you choose that one again.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    holyjo said:

So, after all that advice you went for a steak that was only mentioned in passing. What was it that convinced you that it was the one for you?
    Would you choose that one again.
    Apologies I was still a bit pissed when posting .......... I followed a lot of peoples advice and had the rib eye medium ..... which came as medium rare 
  • Options
    And this was said dish 
  • Options
    In Amsterdam a few years ago and there seemed to be dozens of Argentinian Restaurants. Has that always been the case in Amsterdam or is it a new thing (do the Dutch have "Argentinians" like we have "Indians")??
    Deffo around a very long time as the first Argie one I went to was there, had a buddy living there, and I was on Inter Rail so we are talking ‘79, gulp..their equiv of our Indian is the Indonesian. 

This thread is making me very envious. My neighbour and I spent the whole summer researching local ribeye — for grilling at home, and they were all disappointing. Then finally in desperation I picked up a couple of Tesco Finest, Irish. So much more taste. Czech cows, swerve them…

If you were grilling a rib-eye for medium rare, how hot the grill, and how many minutes each side? ( lets say on an indoor hotplate  or regulated barbie)
  • Options
    There is small Argentinian restaurant I have visited in Amsterdam a couple of times (and I can’t remember the name - probably all the weed I smoked out there) and the steak is excellent. 

Another top notch one was in Valencia - you pick your cut and then cook it yourself on a hot plate at your table. 

I’m terms of having one in England - Goodman’s is my favourite- never had a bad one in there. 
    Weren't called Ranchos by any chance was it? I went to an Argentine steak house near the bulldog cafe and that was amazing! 
    Good call - A quick google image search has confirmed it was indeed Rancho. 
  • Options
    Deffo around a very long time as the first Argie one I went to was there, had a buddy living there, and I was on Inter Rail so we are talking ‘79, gulp..their equiv of our Indian is the Indonesian. 

This thread is making me very envious. My neighbour and I spent the whole summer researching local ribeye — for grilling at home, and they were all disappointing. Then finally in desperation I picked up a couple of Tesco Finest, Irish. So much more taste. Czech cows, swerve them…

If you were grilling a rib-eye for medium rare, how hot the grill, and how many minutes each side? ( lets say on an indoor hotplate  or regulated barbie)
    Indoors, high heat for 3 minutes each side. Get it out of the fridge an hour before you cook it, rub some salt and pepper into it then once you have put it on the pan don’t touch it or press it just leave it, wait 3 minutes then turn it, same again, leave it to cook then after 3 minutes if its a big fat one you can sear the edges. Leave it on a plate for 5 to 10 minutes to rest then serve it up 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Carter said:

Indoors, high heat for 3 minutes each side. Get it out of the fridge an hour before you cook it, rub some salt and pepper into it then once you have put it on the pan don’t touch it or press it just leave it, wait 3 minutes then turn it, same again, leave it to cook then after 3 minutes if its a big fat one you can sear the edges. Leave it on a plate for 5 to 10 minutes to rest then serve it up 
    This is good advice but before taking it out of the pan you need to render all the fat (if there is any depending on the cut) by resting it on it's side and then chuck a load of butter in and baste the meat for a minute or 2.

Also adjust cooking time depending on thickness and err on the side of it being underdone as it'll cook a bit more when it's being rested.

Almost always Ribeye for me and medium rare. Have had rare a few times and a bit too chewy for me. The flavour in a ribeye is unrivalled. 

Gaucho is great, been to the one in the o2 a few times and they do a decent brunch deal if you can get a crowd together, went before the Ukraine game this summer, was about 12 of us, unlimited steak and booze for 2 hours, came to about 60 a head.

Best steak i have had in London was at STK last summer. Went with work but prices were steep. 

Actually had a ribeye last night at Buenos Aires Cafe in Greenwich was quite nice although the mrs got a sirloin that was pretty crap, can get lovely sirloin of course just find BA a bit hit and miss with their meats, especially post lockdown, been a few times and been a bit disappointed.

Has anyone been to le relais de venise l'Entrecote? Theres a few around the city, just continuously bring you steak until you say stop, either medium or rare no inbetween. 
    I haven't been for a while but I've found the one in Blackheath to be a bit better so might be worth you trying it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:

This is what pees me off with ordering steak in restaurants.
    I generally prefer medium, but often if you ask for medium it comes as medium/rare ie some blood.
    But if you ask for medium to well done you can guarantee it will be almost burnt.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Exactly how I do, except 2.5 minutes on each side.
  • Options
    I'm eating a good veggy steak while I read this. 

You can even get ones with fake blood dripping out if you're into all that death 😁
  • Options
    A veggie steak? 😂
  • Options
    Just too bloody for me think I would need at least 2 mins a side. 

Looks like a great bit of kit though 
  • Options
    I'm jealous about your Ooni. I like making pizzas for the family but our oven/pizza stone combo isn't really cutting it. 
  • Options
    I'm jealous about your Ooni. I like making pizzas for the family but our oven/pizza stone combo isn't really cutting it. 
    I definitely recommend the Koda 16. 

I’ve had it just over a month but have used it quite a bit. There’s only 2 of us in the house and I think the BBQ is about to be made redundant. 
  • Options
    Definitely worth the investment all be they expensive, love mine. I have the koda 12 but would go 16 if I had the choice again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slightly off topic - I have just bought a gas pizza oven with some accompanying cast iron cookware.

I intend to use this for cooking steak in (temp goes up to appx 500 degrees c. Will be interesting to see the results (and how much steak I ruin).

First attempt. Sirloin at 400c. 90 seconds a side and rested for 5 mins. 

Pretty happy with it. 

Sorry about the French mustard 😄
    I just want to know if you have a mask to match the gloves.
  • Options
    Yeah. And ball gag (or whatever they’re called?!?) 
  • Options
    Blimey. People have home pizza ovens. Never knew they were a thing ( tho I am not a pizza fan) 
    steaks look really delicious though. 
  • Options
    OK so I've read through this thread and my input.
    The wife and I went to Gaucho's in the O2  for an anniversary meal a couple of years ago, I'm not an expert in steak because I don't often eat red meat.
    We had a couple of cocktails which were excellent then got shown to our table, whilst we were waiting to be served  there was a couple at the next table and he was not happy saying 'no mate that's the second steak I've tried and I just want a steak that doesn't taste like a mouthful of salt' Just get me the bill and I thought 'fussy sod'.
    So, our waiter came over with the cuts of choice and I think we both ordered sirloin or whatever.
    When the meal came out the steak was very very salty (and I actually love salt) but this was overpowering.
    We didn't say anything because didn't want to make a fuss but to be honest if I had a choice to have that meal again or go to a Berni inn or such I would choose the later.
    The whole experience was good except for the food!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Re-igniting this great thread. 

Mrs birthday coming up, both steak lovers so thought I would take her for a steak up in London.

Where would people recommend? Looking for the best London can offer in terms of quality steak.

Not looking to go to STK, Gaucho or Hawksmoor just as we have been there in the last 12 months. I am leaning towards Goodman's unless anybody can convince me otherwise and there is a hidden gem out there :)
  • Options
    An avenue of pleasure that I have chosen no longer to walk along, it would have been a T-Bone in a restaurant, or if at home a Fillet (restaurants fillets being either minute or hideously expensive).
  • Options
    I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm a big fan of Le Relais De Venise but not sure if thats really a birthday steak.

• Options

Mrs birthday coming up, both steak lovers so thought I would take her for a steak up in London.

Where would people recommend? Looking for the best London can offer in terms of quality steak.

Not looking to go to STK, Gaucho or Hawksmoor just as we have been there in the last 12 months. I am leaning towards Goodman's unless anybody can convince me otherwise and there is a hidden gem out there :)
    Hawksmoor and Goodmans are pretty much on a par for me.

I therefore don't see how you can go too far wrong if you go to Goodmans.
  • Options

Take it up the oxo tower, it’ll brown your meat.