Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Everybody’s missing the biggest balls up in the whole situation 
    Wycombe play in blue WhatTheActualFunk are Charlton doing in that (muddled poxy) white kit? We play in red! There’s no clash with home team’s blue!
    it’s not an old ITV telly match “Addicks are in the light shirts” for the viewers in b&w (kids ask your granny)
    Footballers are simple folk All this silly kit business is very disruptive 
    If we’re in white or black on Tuesday at the caravan park you’ll see I’m right
    🤯🤪🤡🤪🤯
  • Options
    Estimable clubs like Bradford City or Notts County have crumbled in recent times, now it looks like our turn.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    what amazes me is that the one player who does seem to have a bit of confidence on the ball - Lee - gets dropped from the starting line up - was there any explanation for that? the logic behind fitting jason pierce and chris gunter into a team yet leaving out probably your most creative player in a team devoid of much creation, is beyond me 
    I would bet it was all to negate Wycombe.  As I mentioned above, going back to basics.  To me, that means stop trying to piss about with clever formations to overcome the opposition and pick your best players who, like Lee, have the confidence to take the game to the opposition.  That we engineered something to play Gunter at wing back is unacceptable, and I think it backs up my point about us being too clever for our own good.  

To Muttley’s point, I agree.  It’s the whole system.  I wasn’t advocating for ultra defensive, but I don’t want to see anymore modifications of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/3-4-3.  It’s clear it’s a mess.  Like you say, play Lee, and for me, Leko, get Stockley a partner up top etc.  How we can seriously say we’ll need to counteract Gillingham’s threat will be beyond me 
  • Options
    Not only that, but he is a player with a goal scoring pedigree. Something we clearly lack. I have been stating a fact so simple since the start of the season that a lot of people discount it because it is too simple, but it is true. Players that score goals and create goals do that and players that don't don't.

Look at the goal scoring records of those in our squad and we are short of those that do. That isn't to say the players that don't are rubbish, but you need enough of those that do. I have a motto, never take goals out the team. if you lose them, then you have to put them back in. Not always in the same way, but players that score 1 goal in 60 are not going to suddenly score say 15 in 60. Maybe the odd one will, but that happening is as rare as hen's teeth.

JFC, Gilbey and Aneke are players who know where the goal is. Clare, Morgan and Dobson don't although Dobson's role was not to score goals. Lee should be the first name on the team sheet at the moment.
    This in spades.

We might be a bit shit at the back & have conceded 2 goals in all our defeats but up front is where we really have the problem. Not only are we not scoring many goals we are hardly having any efforts on goal. As the old adage say.....the more you shoot the more you'll score.

Until we get either a decent strikeforce or attacking players willing to have a shot from both inside & outside the box then we wont be turning this around anytime soon. 
  • Options
    1) Drop Stockley, he limits our style of play
    2) Play Lee alongside Leko, Davision or Washington
    3) I know it was Crawley but that is the only game when we did not continually play the long ball
    4) I like Stockley he would probably make a great CB

Now I will wait for the backlash

• Options
    CBT is direct and has pace. I would say that is a quality we really need at the moment. Lee scores from midfield. Those two would be the first names on my team sheet.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Because the owner knows sod all about football he has allowed a situation where everyone has an excuse and everyone has someone to blame.  Including the players. 

Adkins is partly to blame because he shouldn't have taken the job with out the final say on players and his back room staff. 

All this bollocks about pathways for coaches means if/when Adkins goes Jackson or Euall has to get the job.  Even if they don't any other new manager has to keep them.

The manager hasn't been allowed to manage or appoint his staff.  That being said he isn't blameless and should be doing better.

Sacking Adkins might get a small new manager bounce but it won't solve all the other problems.  Major surgery, on and off the pitch, is required.  Either that or believe you have done the right thing and stick with it, even if it takes a long time. 
    I’ve said before, if there is no clarity about who is in charge a) on the football side and b) at The Valley, it is a recipe for chaos.
    Wouldn’t dream of contradicting you but as far as the playing side is concerned the boss is very clear. Its Adkins. Anything behind the scenes of whom reports to whom shouldn’t impact in the slightest in how NA sets up his teams and who he chooses to start. That is where the biggest problem lays. Getting the team winning again might not resolve those other hierarchy issues but my god it would lift the whole place. A football club is never happy when it’s not winning and even worse when it’s disastrously underperforming like Charlton are. Either NA finds a way to get the results flowing or TS has to find someone who can. I never dreamed that at any point this season things would become toxic again but that’s where we’re heading if we’re not already there. Something must change pdq.
    You say it's very clear, but is it really?   He had no say in his staff.  He didn't even choose the goal keeper coach when Marshall left.  How much say did he have in recruitment, other than telling Gallen to get the keeper and center foward right?

Because if Adkins really wanted Kirk, for example, he would of had some sort of idea what to do with him. 

Saying all that I don't think Thomas will sack him before the end of the month.  If at all.  I wouldn't be bothered if he did but I don't think it would solve all our problems.  The next manager would have the same problems. 
  • Options
    My take on it: www.votvonline.com

I agree with the Morecambe and Wise analogy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's cut to the chase.

We are 23rd in the 3rd tier. Have we ever been lower ? 

I don't want to turn up at the valley and see Great players like Mendonca and Darren Bent scoring goals from 15 and 20 odd years ago in the Premier on the big screen before seeing Charlton outplayed by Cheltenham. (Unfortunately I did)

I doubt he would consider Cafc this time around as he could get a Championship gig, but *Chris Wilder 100% for me. Listening to Wilder on Radio 5 yesterday on the way to a local game was mesmeric with his positive views on twin strikers, attacking full backs and why he tried an attacking over lapping CB in the Championship and League 1.
    He knew that once United got to the Premier the possession would drop from 60% to 35% against the better team's and you adapt your Tactics. Wilder over achieved big time in his first season.

Only saw the goals on quest last night but  after spending 15 days on the training ground with the players during the international break and then last week with no mid week feature, we are a shambles.

When you have a 5 year plan you need the template to start that journey. Nigel Adkins was brought in to start that process, but for a myriad of reasons it's been a non starter.

Big decisions to be made after the Gillingham and Portsmouth matches if the inept performances continue.

* Don't believe Wilder will happen so give JJ and Jason Euell the Job until the end of the season and then see where we are, as we need unity and cohesive not just between the players but with the crowd. 

So you go from wanting Chris Wilder, a man with years of experience & managing in League 1, The Championship & The Premiership to 2 complete novices. 

I'm sure there must be an in between somewhere out there.

We tried a two time course and distance winner in League 1 and it's looking a mess as Nigel Adkins is suddenly tinkering more than Lee Bowyer to find a winning formula.

I'm going to 4 games a week watching and talking to some of the best young coaches in the country. One of the guys got recruited by Man City to work in their academy who I saw working two seasons ago . Most of these guys played in non League but are receptive to new ideas and the ever changing fluidity in Football tactics.

Both JJ and Jason are highly qualified coaches and are not novices. So much innovation from  young coaches who work at it 5 or 6 days a week during the season.

So many of the older managers are out of touch. Roy Hodgkinson couldn't see the problem with Harry Kane taking a corner !
    He was rigid in his approach but he did have success in his career, but the strength of his tactics were everyone knew their job, but what was correct for Fulham wasn't correct for Liverpool. 

Interesting views on CL but they are mainly from frustrated fans of Cafc, so gallows humour and finding who to blame takes over.

23rd in League1, I still can't Adam and Eve it how far we have fallen since the days we beat Chelsea on several occasions in the Premier and a cup tie even if Jose didn't agree it was a loss !
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Given we are stuck with the players we have, the manager has to find a system that plays to their strengths. Having watched every game this season it is only when we have played 442 that we look effective. This lineup enables the entire squad a role and should help us reach mid-table ( our best case now).
    Goal:Mc Gillvray ( although makes too many unforced errors)
    Back 4: Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Souare (any of the unfit/dropped players could slot in).
    Mid 4: A winger, CBT/ Kirk/ DJ (but only one of them) 2 Cms, one more advanced, 2 from Arter, Dobson, Watson, Morgan, and one energetic attacking midfielder in the Graeme Stuart mould, Lee, Clare or Washington to link with the forwards in the middle of the park, where we are weakest.
    Front 2: From Stockley, Leko, Washington or Davison (Lee at a push)

Nobody is playing out of position nor any one of them a key player, as none are good enough for that. 

My cv is available, Tommy.
  • Options
    Anyone know what the ruck was about during the 2nd half. On Facebook some are saying it was because someone hit someone who was booing the taking the knee, but what I don't get was if it was over that why did it all kick off in the 2nd half and not at the time?
  • Options
    My take on it: www.votvonline.com

Great read, as always. 
  • Options
    I’m usually a glass half full sort of bloke but we’re not even a quarter of the way through the season and I’ve lost interest already. We shouldn’t be in this position with the squad that we’ve got. 
  • Options
      He didn't even choose the goal keeper coach when Marshall left.  

Could it be that we are missing Marshalls skills in organising the defence, because as I understand it, that was JJ and AMs job.

• Options
    Good luck Southbank With your application. Tutt-Tutt is the best Qualified; Both Muttley and myself have sent in our CV's but I was told that despite my success, with junior teams, Roll on and roll off subs don't count in adult football !!! 

I so wanted/want Nigel Adkins to get his 3rd promotion from the 3rd tier. His success at Scunthorpe was so impressive. To not finished in the top 2 with the talent at Southampton would have been a poor reflection on his abilities.

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Anyone know what the ruck was about during the 2nd half. On Facebook some are saying it was because someone hit someone who was booing the taking the knee, but what I don't get was if it was over that why did it all kick off in the 2nd half and not at the time?
    I didn’t see the incident (call me Arsene) but there was a young lad who got kicked out went up first half got sent down and then went back up again when he then got chucked out.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Watching the second goal back, we clear their free-kick, and nobody comes out to help Stockley in a clear 2-on-1 situation on the left, (not to mention the fact that our tallest player is not defending the cross but now defending wide), allowing them plenty of time for a quality delivery. 

Similar thing happened against Cheltenham. 

The organisation is poor.
    Look how many players we have in our own box, for the Cheltenham vid Watson is actually watching the runner and then becomes a ball watcher by his lack of awareness, the same can be said for Dobson in the Wycombe vid. If you are an opposing manager you would use the channels to get at Charlton because our play is narrow in the extreme. It isn't hard to stop that with 442 but they must be wide players who know their job when defending,
  • Options
    How did Arter play?
    He was fine, feeling his way as you might expect. Takes a very good corner. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1) Drop Stockley, he limits our style of play
    2) Play Lee alongside Leko, Davision or Washington
    3) I know it was Crawley but that is the only game when we did not continually play the long ball
    4) I like Stockley he would probably make a great CB

Now I will wait for the backlash

Why a backlash?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Just listened to NA’s post match analysis.  There’s very little confidence there I think at the moment.  

I don’t know how he played y’day, but Chris Gunter is not a wing back as Adkins described the set up in the way he did.  He also mentioned Wycombe have a group of players and an identity in the way they play.  I understand it may be still be a work in progress with us given the amount of new players in, and late arrivals toward the end of the window, but it seems he doesn’t know what that identity or group of players should be, now his preferred 4-3-3 formation seems to have been abandoned (not that it was pulling up trees in its own right).

The other worrying thing is that he referenced Gilbey being very dominant in that formation and we don’t have him available yet.  Are we seriously saying one player will come back and our fortunes return.  It’s never about one player.  The telling factor for me is that when Sage and FA do their excellent pre match predictions, we all have a different opinion on who the starting line up should be.  3 years ago that would never have been the case.  Everyone would’ve probably opted for a very similar line up and it was settled.  Now, whatever midfielders we pick are much of a muchness. I don’t see the difference at the moment between Kirk, DJ, Blackett Taylor, or Dobson, Watson, Morgan etc.  

Is he going to stick with the 3-4-3 we saw to combat Wycombe, or do we need another formation to combat Gillingham?  There was a tactics thread earlier in the week.  I said I don’t think players at this level are intelligent enough to play anything other than 4-4-2, Tutt-tutt offered an example of a non league team he watched play a modern formation and do it very well, so I’ll reappraise that statement, I don’t think the players we’ve got are intelligent enough to play anything other than 4-4-2.  I think we need to go back to basics.  However, even that might not be enough 
    Shite
  • Options
    kafka said:
    cabbles said:
    Just listened to NA’s post match analysis.  There’s very little confidence there I think at the moment.  

I don’t know how he played y’day, but Chris Gunter is not a wing back as Adkins described the set up in the way he did.  He also mentioned Wycombe have a group of players and an identity in the way they play.  I understand it may be still be a work in progress with us given the amount of new players in, and late arrivals toward the end of the window, but it seems he doesn’t know what that identity or group of players should be, now his preferred 4-3-3 formation seems to have been abandoned (not that it was pulling up trees in its own right).

The other worrying thing is that he referenced Gilbey being very dominant in that formation and we don’t have him available yet.  Are we seriously saying one player will come back and our fortunes return.  It’s never about one player.  The telling factor for me is that when Sage and FA do their excellent pre match predictions, we all have a different opinion on who the starting line up should be.  3 years ago that would never have been the case.  Everyone would’ve probably opted for a very similar line up and it was settled.  Now, whatever midfielders we pick are much of a muchness. I don’t see the difference at the moment between Kirk, DJ, Blackett Taylor, or Dobson, Watson, Morgan etc.  

Is he going to stick with the 3-4-3 we saw to combat Wycombe, or do we need another formation to combat Gillingham?  There was a tactics thread earlier in the week.  I said I don’t think players at this level are intelligent enough to play anything other than 4-4-2, Tutt-tutt offered an example of a non league team he watched play a modern formation and do it very well, so I’ll reappraise that statement, I don’t think the players we’ve got are intelligent enough to play anything other than 4-4-2.  I think we need to go back to basics.  However, even that might not be enough 
    Shite
    Just like the decision to play him in that position in the first place. 
  • Options
    I was one of the very, very few people on here who were staunchly against appointing Adkins to the job, I said he was yesterday’s man and we should either be appointing a “Charlton Man” to the job or, alternatively, look for the best up and coming manager in League One or Two.

As I said at the time, Adkins last successful spell was at Southampton TEN F*******G YEARS AGO, since then he has done precisely F**k all to suggest he was the right man for the job with us.

But, no, according to some folks, taking Hull to Championship survival basically made the bloke Sir Alex Ferguson and I picked up plenty of LOLs from the Charlton Life smart arses for my views, but now it turns out I was spot on in my original analysis.

Last season Adkins has Bowyer’s team to work with but without the likes of Aneke, Millar, Maatsen etc we are a shadow of even last seasons slightly average team.

Nigel Adkins is clearly a very decent man, certainly not an ignorant, arrogant Cockwomble like Alan Pardew, but this is not about being nice, it’s about being the right person for Charlton Athletic and he is not that person, and he never was.

Personally, I’d love to see Chris Powell back here, Charlton to his bones and had his brilliant time with us wrecked by that Belgian arsehole, others won’t agree and I know Powell has failed elsewhere, but elsewhere ain’t here.

Thought everyone on here was against Adkins?
    And I am sure tracking back will prove this.
    Hindsight? Not a chance...

Starting to question my judgement.
    But I'll keep this to myself...
  • Options
    Of all the under-performers so far this season I think that Gunter winds me up the most.
    He is a master of avoiding the ball.
    All that international experience, he should out front in taking responsibility on the pitch and lifting the younger players.
    He's an absolute wet weekend
    It summed him up when he raced to get the ball to give it back to a Wycombe player at a throw in, when they were time wasting in the 92nd minute. Felt very much for show that as he’d barely laid a glove on the opposition for the previous 91 minutes. 
  • Options
    Like I said, I think Gunter’s just coasting.

He’s playing regular football without getting dropped, and the international call-ups still keep coming for him.
  • Options
    Of all the under-performers so far this season I think that Gunter winds me up the most.
    All that international experience, he should out front in taking responsibility on the pitch and lifting the younger players.
    But Wales seem quite smitten with him...
  • Options
    But Wales seem quite smitten with him...
    He seems to have bucked up a bit this season back in Madrid, but Gunter reminds me of the Bale of recent years - Wales, Golf, Madrid. 

It's good when players are passionate to play for their country, but not if that's their main priority...