Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Good drive there and back and the pub was decent.  That and Blackett Taylor were the only positives from today
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    So Adkins is finally realising that Stockley is the root of our problem.

I think I said that after the Sheff Wed game.
    You were saying it towards the end of last season I can recall.......
  • Options
    It seems to me that Adkins has gone down the same rabbit hole as Bowyer.
    They both over complicated what should be a simple game and the players don't know what to do.

I still say our squad should be top half at the very least, so the dire position is down to a combination of TS, GR, NA and possibly SG, although I feel he was more instrumental in the negotiations than identifying targets.
  • Options
    If he goes, I think JJ has to go with him. He is responsible for defence and set pieces. Organisation of both has been poor for a long time. No invention with set pieces and so predictable. Yes we scored from one today, but that probably goes down to law of averages.

If it is in house it should be Jason. Knows the youth set up and was very successful. Deserves a chance IMO.

I still have not seen anything to change my mind that 4-4-2 is the best way to get out of this dismal run.
  • Options
    I know it sounds odd but I am glad we didn't scramble a last minute equaliser, it would have been a platform for excuses, and it would not have papered over the cracks we have as wide as the Grand Canyon.
  • Options
    Today we were even abject most of the times we tried to hoof it, we didn't even have that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Posting without reading, watching, following the match on Twitter, listening to the radio .. Just seen the score. Did anyone expect anything else? Lose the next two and he’ll be gone by this time next week

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I know it sounds odd but I am glad we didn't scramble a last minute equaliser, it would have been a platform for excuses, and it would not have papered over the cracks we have as wide as the Grand Canyon.
    I’d take anything that could provide a jump start 
  • Options
    It’s a baffling situation we are in. It’s 50 per cent nigel’s fault for his formation and tactics, and 50 percent down to the players. The squad is absolutely good enough so why on earth is is floundering so badly?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You will regret saying that if we go down by one point! :-)
  • Options
    Shocking!!! 
  • Options
    Old man Gunter as a wing back?
    is Matthews injured? No?
    Adkins has taken leave of his senses and the squad clearly know they’ve been served a duffer He rightly sacked off the shameless shirking Kirk and DJ but after that he’s got nuthin 
    TS may pull the trigger sooner but if Gills and Pompey yield fewer than 4 points Nige is history 
    JJ has a 100% record after all

Ain’t seen less coherence since Karel Fraeye FFS!!! 🤬😡🤯 Ainsworth is a gobby chancer but he must be laughing his cock off that his ramshackle cabal sewed that up so comfortably in 80 minutes 
  • Options
    If Adkins thinks Blackett Taylor was that good, why didn't he bring him on earlier? How does he start on Tuesday? How about ::
    MacGilvray
     Matthews,Lavelle,Famewo Soare
     Lee, Arter Dobson  Blackett-Taylor
    Davison Leko
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    mattwils said:
    It’s a baffling situation we are in. It’s 50 per cent nigel’s fault for his formation and tactics, and 50 percent down to the players. The squad is absolutely good enough so why on earth is is floundering so badly?
    Totally understand this point, but surely players of this standard should still be showing some sort of ability, even if they're being played out of position. There should be signs of some sort of cohesion in the team. We ain't seeing hardly any of that accept for maybe that 15 odd minutes in the first half today. And then for about 3 minutes from the 92nd minute to the final whistle...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After a slightly shambolic drive to the ground I got there in time to have a nice walk in the woods above Adams Park, it's a really nice area, and a friendly club as well. I had a beer in the main "clubhouse" bar.

After the game I popped down to Marlow to get some draught beer from the Rebellion Brewery

Unfortunately, in between was a football match. For 10 minutes we were ok, then Wycombe sussed us out, our weaknesses down the flanks, and the complete lack of pressure we put on their players, who were able to pass the ball around our penalty box to their heart's content. The first goal was inevitable, and since Nigel made no changes to the side or formation at HT, the second was no surprise either

We could have snatched something in the last 10 minutes as Wycombe subbed their best attackers, and CBT came on for a very decent cameo for us - he looked very lively and tested their defence with his control and directness. It would have been a travesty if we had snatched a draw though.

Very worrying. Endless changes of personnel and formation, but we still look too open defensively and toothless going forward, where we were still hoofing it to Stockley or knocking aimless passes over the top. We pack our squad with wingers, then play a system with wingbacks instead. I see a group of players lacking confidence and not working hard enough but also struggling to play in the systems Nigel is choosing.
    You can play wingbacks and still use a winger. Leko was sort of on the wing, and CBT certainly was; I think he'll link up well with Soare.
    I'd drop Stockley and have CBT wide and Leko with Washington or Davison in the middle v. Gills.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You will regret saying that if we go down by one point! :-)
    Yeah I know, but the thing is we didn't get the equaliser anyway, maybe going down will actually rest on the point we don't get on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Assuming Adkins is going to remain in charge and I think he will then I would advise him to decide on a formation and a style he wants the players to play and stick with it with as few personnel changes as possible for now. Get the players used to it and comfortable with it and then allow some of the undoubted talent we have to shine through. At present we’re all over the shop and players are lacking confidence in what they’re doing. Back to basics if you like. What worries me is that I’m not sure NA has the gravitas with the players to get them signed up. Curbs is a decent bloke but when needed he could be a tyrant. Not sure Nigel has it in him ?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Been to all 9 games so far this season and if we do not make a change we are going down.  All the games we have lost have been deserved defeats, we simply do not have any effective game plan, the attacking plan seems to be just hoof it up to Stockley and the defence is only held together by the keeper bailing them out.  What is the formation we are playing, as in the last 4 games league and cup we have changed the formation for every game

Adkins was a logical appointment but it is simply not working.  To change formation today resulting in the 2 wingers we have signed on long term deals are not required in the 18 man squad shows that the recruitment and the team are miles apart.

Roddy needs to go as well.  We are a very low place 3rd division club.  It needs to be rebuilt properly, not with people who have never done this sort of job before.  Full Time Woman's teams and applications for Category One Academy status come when you have a settled 1st team, 1st Team Manager and you are at the very least back in the Championship.  That is on top of the fact we don't even own our ground.

The club is a right mess, we have an enthusiastic owner but it looks like he is being advised badly it seems.  Mistakes happen but they need to be put right very quickly and start growing this club again with more common sense based around on where we are currently at and not we are aspire to be in . If we don't then we are looking at the 4th Division. 
    Hear hear !!

Firstly I wont dwell on the faults of our transfer policy as I think you all know my thoughts on that.

But echoing the above post what really staggers me is that when we finally do sign some players they are bombed out of the side after just one poor game. And not only out of the side but out of the 18 man squad. 

I cant believe Adkins when he says that his method is a passing game, when all the decent ball players are sitting in the stands. If you want an exciting, attacking team then play wide men/wingers who run at defenders with the ball. Blackett-Taylor today showed how it can be done and was the main reason why we looked more threatening in the last 10 mins. We have him, DJ, Kirk and Leko who are good running at defenders - so why are we playing with a 6ft 4 striker whose main attribute is his head. Of course the default play will be to launch it up to him. The top team tonight in the 92 league club pyramid do not play hoof ball. Get the ball on the floor and play. 

I do not like seeing managers sacked but if Adkins cant see that by not playing attack-minded players it means we just hoof it forward then he has to go. I quite like 5 at the back, but only if the 2 wingbacks can get forward & can put decent crosses in. Today showed we dont (yet) have the personnel for that & the players we have at our disposal would be more suited to 4-4-2. Play Washington & Lee up top, with Kirk one side & DJ the other. Arter & Gilbey (when fit) -  either Morgan Dobson or Clare can fill in for now. Pearce should be nowhere near the side with defenders being Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo & Purrington (when fit).

Anyway - I defer team selection to the manager as he sees them in training. What isn't in dispute is our complete lack of firepower. Game after game we see just 1 or 2 shots on target and any build up play faultering long before we get in range of goal. I have never witnessed such a poor attack minded team - not helped by the fact we never replaced last seasons top goalscorer. Again, I wont say I told you so with regards to our strikeforce but relying on Stockley to be the main focal point of your promotion is akin to relying on Southeastern to get you to work on time.....every day for a year. Guess what - it ain't going to happen. 

So summing up. We are in the shit. I still don't think we will get relegated but boy, this isn't going to be the season that so so many had been looking forward to. I don't know if a change of manager is needed just yet, but if so I wouldn't want JJ or Euell taking over. Maybe in a caretaker capacity for a few weeks - firstly to see if they were up to the job - but more so we could actually take our time for once & pick a manager who can instill some belief & tactical nous into this team. 

We have some decent players- certainly far far better than joint bottom. Dont think we are good enough for top 6, but top 10 should be worse case from here.

How many games would you give him before you would want a change?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    'Play Washington & Lee up top, with Kirk one side & DJ the other.'
    Golfie, agree with dropping Stockley, and Washington and Lee up top may be worth a shot (although neither is pacey), but Kirk has shown nothing, and his skill isn't taking players on, it's more about short passing. DJ has shown very little this season really. Surely CBT looks more threatening out wide? More excitement from him in his 27 minutes than I've seen all season. Leko might be worth a pop up top?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    What is clear is that too many of our players are taking the easy options as they are frightened to be the reason our play breaks down. This coward's way of playing does not win you football matches. I would rather see us cocking it up having a go than this tame mediocrity. Actually mediocrity is being generous.
  • Options
    Dont know if its been discussed elsewhere and i know its a sensitive subject for some people and i dont want to start a debate but we've really missed Gilbey ...was he not vaccinated? .....why are players not vaccinated? ...seems like a simple bit of admin to stop the season going tits up