Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    After Cheltenham, I rejected any idea that Adkins will be able to get this lot going.

Proven again today.

TS needs to get rid, otherwise we will go down.
  • Options
    I warmed to Adkins when he took over and thought he was exactly what we needed. Someone who could create an environment opposite to that of Bowyer, provide good advice and nurture young talent.
    But. I was one of those who gave Bowyer too much time and I think we need to bite the bullet now. Adkins strikes me as an honourable man and I would have huge respect for him if he told TS he hasn’t got the requisite skills for the role and can’t motivate this squad of undeniably decent players for this level.
    Of course that is unlikely and I would certainly settle for a ‘by mutual consent’ deal.
    After that I would give JJ a go. If not there are plenty of young managers who would love to manage us.
  • Options
    If Adkins is to go, and I don’t see TS making that decision any time soon, can we not go for another age 50+ manager and instead go for someone much younger who has a better feel for the modern game and modern players.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Surprised you didn’t mention the confidence when we go 1-0. The moment we go behind you can see the belief drain out from the players. We don’t create enough chances to give anyone the belief we can turn around a lose.
  • Options
    What I don’t understand is how Adkins got so much out of the players (who didn’t seem to be playing for Bowyer) last season, and now some of these are his players, but they are seemingly not playing for him. Anyone got an explanation?
    I’m really not sure he did. We went through a really difficult part of a season when injuries really hurt us as did a number of poor individual decision-making in games and some worldy goals. This then weighed on confidence. 

Though results improved towards the end I never saw any noticeable pick up in effort, tactics or performance. I was expecting an improvement to happen regardless. 
  • Options
    I keep saying it
    4-4-2 with Stockley and Leko upfront. 

FFS, he took Leko off - the fans let NADS know that was a mistake. 

NADS will be gone by the end of the month. 

I keep saying it
    4-4-2 with Stockley and Leko upfront. 

FFS, he took Leko off - the fans let NADS know that was a mistake. 

NADS will be gone by the end of the month. 
    100% this. We've looked a different team in the short spells we've played 442 this season.

Stockley & Leko would be a top pairing at this level.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Yeah doesnt that "difficult position" mean the League table, or a decision over the Manager
    Probably the league position, but I have to admit to having a small hope that he meant the latter. 
  • Options
    Something at the very root of Our Club definitely isn't working, just now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    No faith in this manager or the players. Awful stuff, this is possibly the worst Charlton team I’ve seen, and we’ve had some crap. He has to go for me, give it to Jacko and see how we go. Davison did more in 10 minutes than Stockley has done in 3 games. He needs to be dropped.

Gunter can do one, Charlie Barker is a better option than him and less of a liability. It’s going to be a long season.
    Bringing Jackson to the post could not be progress.  Surely he has input and is part of the blame.
    IF we are to out Adkins I'd bring in Warnock and shake things up.
    Warnock ? .. keep up Elfs he's the manager of Middlesbrough .. you reckon he'd chuck that in to join us ?
    @AFKABartram and @aliwibble can you please delete my membership from immediate effect, @Lincsaddick has totally ko'd me.
    My last word, Warnock would leave the smoggies to come here.  We're nearer to his Plymouth home.

@ElfsborgAddick even if we did delete your account, the posts usually stay up but just attributed to [Deleted User], so that wouldn't spare your blushes.
  • Options
    Went to see ebbsfleet at carshalton today even though wycombe is 37 miles from where I live and I have only missed 2 home games since 1998....think that says it all.
  • Options
    BTW solly is an ignorant twat and Lee Martin real gent.
  • Options
    From an article dated 9th September.

“I’m very pleased with the squad we’ve been able to assemble,” smiled Thomas Sandgaard from his office in Colorado, “the proof is in the pudding, but as far as I can tell, we will be playing exciting football and creating chances.”

Thomas goes on to say.

“I should give credit to the team, behind the scenes we have working on all the details around recruiting. It’s a lot of work using data, scouting reports, videos and then personal observations on playing style. 

and then ...  'They are already working on the next window to make life easier for us.”  (scary)

The article in question https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6139d07e655f0/in-depth-summer-transfer-window-2021 left me quite cold.  Lots of people fiddling around in the background, no doubt trying to boost their own importance. 

OK lets forget about Curbs coming back, I merely want to compare what he done with far fewer people, his football knowledge, his local knowledge, a good contact list and his willingness to hurtle up and down the motorways to check on players, get to know them and possibly sign them.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but from where I'm sitting the old style (good) football manager seemed to work a lot better than the black box with its team of analysts, algorithms, biorhythms and logarithms. 

• Options
    Just a thought, is it Atkins fault the squad was not good enough?
  • Options
    Dad was saying 30 seconds before the second went in, "if they score a second that's me off home" and bang it hit the back of the net. He's so calm about all things football and at 81 has seen it all at Charlton. Even he said, "Adkins is showing no sign of being capable of turning it around and should go, with JJ and Euell in for a spell."

No way back from this for Adkins for me. I've seen every game so far and the Crewe game was a blip. Adject failure so far. 

Come on Thomas, sort it out! 
  • Options
    Only Charlton Athletic could get a stable owner and a well known manager at this level and actually get WORSE!

Adkins looks clueless and I think letting JJ have 5-10 games with this squad to see what he can do wouldn’t be the worst move.

Fancy hiring a Nigel in the first place….
    Im not sure JJ is the answer, like the fella, spoke a few times but for me he's been in and around shittyness for a few years. 
    Not sure how much of a tactical influence he has tho. He’s coaching but you can work for hours on the training pitch and lose a game on a Saturday cos the gam plan is all wrong. Think he has total respect of the players as well.
    Yeah I get that pal
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Just a thought, is it Atkins fault the squad was not good enough?
    The squad as individuals should be more than good enough for this league, it is more about how that squad is set up that is the problem, so yes it is Adkins fault as the buck stops at The Managers door i'm afraid. 
  • Options
    Teams don't play this badly without there being some poisonous characters in the changing room. The quicker they're identified and shipped out the batter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No positives at present and no sign of improvement. All a bit worrying.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    No faith in this manager or the players. Awful stuff, this is possibly the worst Charlton team I’ve seen, and we’ve had some crap. He has to go for me, give it to Jacko and see how we go. Davison did more in 10 minutes than Stockley has done in 3 games. He needs to be dropped.

Gunter can do one, Charlie Barker is a better option than him and less of a liability. It’s going to be a long season.
    Bringing Jackson to the post could not be progress.  Surely he has input and is part of the blame.
    Warnock is at Middelsbrough. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

Warnock is at Middelsbrough. 
    I'll leave you to vet my posts in future.....please.
  • Options
    When we did decide to try to put them under pressure they looked very brittle defensively. Shame we left it until the dying embers of the game but that is what cowards do. Too afraid to try to win so we end up losing. 
  • Options
    When we did decide to try to put them under pressure they looked very brittle defensively. Shame we left it until the dying embers of the game but that is what cowards do. Too afraid to try to win so we end up losing. 
    Yes fking attack teams don't set up with 7 from 10 defense minded players.

I knew he'd fucked it @ 14:01

That line up was grim. 
  • Options
    Every player with potential goals in him has to start above players with none.