Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Now I may have only played semi pro football and managed decent standard sides but I am completely baffled how the manager tells the players NOT to hoof it, yet they consistently do.

It's nonsensical!   If you tell players that you don't lump it and I want you to play pressing and passing football, then as a player you do that knowing if it goes wrong, you turn round and tell the boss "but you said play football".   

You don't go against the managers wishes and just lump it to the big man !   
    Totally with you on that. Either the players are completely ignoring the manager's instructions/tactics, or the manager is being a little economical with the truth.

If it's the former, then he has lost the dressing room. If it's the latter, he's hiding behind falsehoods to mask his inefficiencies.
  • Options
    If Stockley is dropped it will say a lot about this manager and not in a good way. He needs to understand that his midfield selection is limited because of the loss of Gilbey and Forster Caskey and the replacements are not good enough are simply not match fit. The case for the inclusion of Gunter may be a little more clearer if the full backs were given cover. We simply don't have the players or the players don't understand the system that Adkins wants to play. For me its a 4411 with either Washington or Lee in support of Stockley.
  • Options
    I will have seen it all if we drop a player because other players keep passing to him. 
    We are innovators at Charlton.
  • Options
    What I dont understand is the main thrust of our transfer policy was bringing in pact wide players who could take players on and cross balls into the area for Stockley ( who imo would get alot of goals if we did that ) but apart from CBT for 15 mins at the end of the game on Saturday none of the wide players seem intent on doing it. Instead we have Famwoe or Mac knocking long balls to Stockley who can literally do nothing with them as he has 2-3 players on him. 
    I'm a big fan of NA but IF that leaked team is correct he must have found LB's stash of whatever he was on last season. The very fact of going back to that midfield is signing his own death warrant in terms of job front
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    What I dont understand is the main thrust of our transfer policy was bringing in pact wide players who could take players on and cross balls into the area for Stockley ( who imo would get alot of goals if we did that ) but apart from CBT for 15 mins at the end of the game on Saturday none of the wide players seem intent on doing it. Instead we have Famwoe or Mac knocking long balls to Stockley who can literally do nothing with them as he has 2-3 players on him. 
    I'm a big fan of NA but IF that leaked team is correct he must have found LB's stash of whatever he was on last season. The very fact of going back to that midfield is signing his own death warrant in terms of job front
    I'd say other than CBT & Washington none of our "wide" players seem interested in playing at all. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    I'd say other than CBT & Washington none of our "wide" players seem interested in playing at all. 
    I think that's a bit unfair on Leko. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    I think that's a bit unfair on Leko. 
    Fair. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I love Stockley and think he has been fantastic so far for us in terms on contribution ( until other teams realised that they stop him they stop any threat ) and effort which has always been 100%. However NA has said a number of times that he keeps telling the players not to launch it long and if they are ignoring him than take that option away and drop Stockley
    Why does stockley position himself, point where he wants it and make the run as soon as a defender gets the ball, it's not like he's not expecting it, no way them players are told NOT to punt it to Stockley. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I love Stockley and think he has been fantastic so far for us in terms on contribution ( until other teams realised that they stop him they stop any threat ) and effort which has always been 100%. However NA has said a number of times that he keeps telling the players not to launch it long and if they are ignoring him than take that option away and drop Stockley
    Why does stockley position himself, point where he wants it and make the run as soon as a defender gets the ball, it's not like he's not expecting it, no way them players are told NOT to punt it to Stockley. 
    There is also no way they they are told to smash it in the general direction of Stockley and hope for the best.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    There is also no way they they are told to smash it in the general direction of Stockley and hope for the best.  
    They don’t seem to have been coached on how to create space to play from the back either.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    They don’t seem to have been coached on how to create space to play from the back either.
    Cheltenham beat our press with simple combinations. It's really a fundamental of the modern game, and we need a manager that can drill that movement into our team. I hoped that would be Adkins. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Stockley must have been chuffed when we signed all these wingers. A month on and he's being labelled as partly responsible for us playing hoofball. Odd, odd, odd.
    When was the last time one of our "wingers" flew past a defender & slung a cross in for Stockley to throw himself at...?

Having a big tall striker is only any good if you are using his height. Not seen one of our "wingers" put in a decent cross for Stockley to attack. Blackett-Taylor looked pretty decent in his cameo on Sat but even he didnt put in a cross that anyone could go for.....but then again by the time he was up to speed Stockley was off. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Stockley must have been chuffed when we signed all these wingers. A month on and he's being labelled as partly responsible for us playing hoofball. Odd, odd, odd.
    When was the last time one of our "wingers" flew past a defender & slung a cross in for Stockley to throw himself at...?

Having a big tall striker is only any good if you are using his height. Not seen one of our "wingers" put in a decent cross for Stockley to attack. Blackett-Taylor looked pretty decent in his cameo on Sat but even he didnt put in a cross that anyone could go for.....but then again by the time he was up to speed Stockley was off. 
    Good point. I think it is the wingers and not Stockley that is the problem. DJ and Kirk rarely seem to make themselves available, in fact I would even go as far as to say Kirk looks scared as soon as the ball goes anywhere near him. Also neither track back which then limits the midfield coming forward when neither create space making hoofball more desirable.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

When was the last time a winger saw plenty of the ball? The whole team needs to improve our pressing, retaining possession and creating chances.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I think Stockley is getting off lightly, to be honest. Even Curbs has called out how poor he has been. His touch, his passing, his movement... Everything. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think Stockley is getting off lightly, to be honest. Even Curbs has called out how poor he has been. His touch, his passing, his movement... Everything. 
    It would be interesting to hear what Carl Leaburn thinks of him, as he's the nearest Charlton "legend" to his style of player
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The only good part of his game has been his defending. 

Chunes said:
    It would be interesting to hear what Carl Leaburn thinks of him, as he's the nearest Charlton "legend" to his style of player
    Stockley is not fit to clean Carlo's boots. Leaburn used to win everything in the air, either directing his headers to team-mates, or bringing it down on his chest and laying it off.
    Stockley jumps awkwardly, with his arms flailing everywhere and if he does win the ball, neither he, nor his team-mates have any idea where it is going. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:
    Stockley is not fit to clean Carlo's boots. Leaburn used to win everything in the air, either directing his headers to team-mates, or bringing it down on his chest and laying it off.
    Stockley jumps awkwardly, with his arms flailing everywhere and if he does win the ball, neither he, nor his team-mates have any idea where it is going. 
    Leaburn was underrated in most aspects of his game, pardon the cliche, but he was alright with his feet for a big man.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:
    Leaburn was underrated in most aspects of his game, pardon the cliche, but he was alright with his feet for a big man.
    More than alright and defenders could not get the ball off him without fouling him. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leaburn taught me above anybody else how little many fans know about football. He had his flaws I admit, but he was a massive player for us, yet you would have idiots who couldn't see beyond the flaws and understand what he contributed to the team.
  • Options
    I liked Carl Leaburn for his hold up play and skill on the ball but he wasn't a goal scorer.
    If 53 goals in 344 apps for Cafc is accurate.

If you have a fit Clive Mendonca playing along side Carl then having a centre forward who scores 1 in every 6 or 7 matches won't necessarily be an issue. 

I always look at players strong and weak points when analysing.  Carl Leaburn's best goal achieved was the lovely Tracey.
  • Options
    He wasn't a natural goal scorer, he didn't have that instinct to gamble on the ball coming to him. But he offered a lot to the team in his hold up play and vision. I doubt any defenders enjoyed playing against him.
  • Options
    When Carl Leaburn was sold to Wimbledon in the Premier, he only managed 4 goals in 58 apps but again he was appreciated by his fellow pros for holding the ball up and bringing others into play. 

There was a reason why Carl was the preferred partner by Clive Mendonca, because he knew he would play him in.
  • Options
    Emile Heskey was a better player, but similar. Not a great scorer but other strikers LOVED playing with him, as he did so much of the ugly work, with others getting the glory
  • Options
    Emile Heskey was a better player, but similar. Not a great scorer but other strikers LOVED playing with him, as he did so much of the ugly work, with others getting the glory

Michael Owen thought Heskey was a good partner to have for England.