Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Because the owner knows sod all about football he has allowed a situation where everyone has an excuse and everyone has someone to blame.  Including the players. 

Adkins is partly to blame because he shouldn't have taken the job with out the final say on players and his back room staff. 

All this bollocks about pathways for coaches means if/when Adkins goes Jackson or Euall has to get the job.  Even if they don't any other new manager has to keep them.

The manager hasn't been allowed to manage or appoint his staff.  That being said he isn't blameless and should be doing better.

Sacking Adkins might get a small new manager bounce but it won't solve all the other problems.  Major surgery, on and off the pitch, is required.  Either that or believe you have done the right thing and stick with it, even if it takes a long time. 
    I’ve said before, if there is no clarity about who is in charge a) on the football side and b) at The Valley, it is a recipe for chaos.
    Have you ever known an experienced manager being employed at a football club and have no say on who his staff are at all? 
  • I think Adkins might have Gillingham and Pompey to save his job. Two losses there and I think he might be gone.
        I think you are 100% correct.
        Two more losses and he should go as we have some good  players who don’t seem to 
    want to play his way ?
  • Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Because the owner knows sod all about football he has allowed a situation where everyone has an excuse and everyone has someone to blame.  Including the players. 

Adkins is partly to blame because he shouldn't have taken the job with out the final say on players and his back room staff. 

All this bollocks about pathways for coaches means if/when Adkins goes Jackson or Euall has to get the job.  Even if they don't any other new manager has to keep them.

The manager hasn't been allowed to manage or appoint his staff.  That being said he isn't blameless and should be doing better.

Sacking Adkins might get a small new manager bounce but it won't solve all the other problems.  Major surgery, on and off the pitch, is required.  Either that or believe you have done the right thing and stick with it, even if it takes a long time. 
    I’ve said before, if there is no clarity about who is in charge a) on the football side and b) at The Valley, it is a recipe for chaos.
    Have you ever known an experienced manager being employed at a football club and have no say on who his staff are at all? 
    Dowie?
    Quite 
  • When all your cheesy premiere league supporting mates have stopped making fun of your team and begun giving you therapy  it is time to play 'on the dunes' and stare at the nearest distance. Ohhhh fuck fuck fuck
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Clean slate needed if we are to change manager.
    Is that not what we done with Adkins?
  • edited September 2021
    Anyone else worried that our squad rotation system means that we can look forward to Watson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi and Kirk on Tuesday night?

Well ... it was good enough for Cheltenham, I suppose.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Anyone else worried that our squad rotation system means that we can look forward to Watson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi and Kirk on Tuesday night?

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

Think you are spot on about his own staff. I think JJ & Euell were part of the package whereas I’m sure he’d have wanted to bring in his tried and tested staff. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    No, because we didn’t let him bring in his own trusted backroom staff.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    No, because we didn’t let him bring in his own trusted backroom staff.
    Don’t think it matter what back room staff we have with this current crop of players.

We simply, kept on far too many players from last year that failed to get into the play offs in a dire League 1. 
  • I think Adkins might have Gillingham and Pompey to save his job. Two losses there and I think he might be gone.
    Good - he’s rubbish
  • edited September 2021
    cafctom said:
    I was one of the very, very few people on here who were staunchly against appointing Adkins to the job, I said he was yesterday’s man and we should either be appointing a “Charlton Man” to the job or, alternatively, look for the best up and coming manager in League One or Two.

As I said at the time, Adkins last successful spell was at Southampton TEN F*******G YEARS AGO, since then he has done precisely F**k all to suggest he was the right man for the job with us.

But, no, according to some folks, taking Hull to Championship survival basically made the bloke Sir Alex Ferguson and I picked up plenty of LOLs from the Charlton Life smart arses for my views, but now it turns out I was spot on in my original analysis.

Last season Adkins has Bowyer’s team to work with but without the likes of Aneke, Millar, Maatsen etc we are a shadow of even last seasons slightly average team.

Nigel Adkins is clearly a very decent man, certainly not an ignorant, arrogant Cockwomble like Alan Pardew, but this is not about being nice, it’s about being the right person for Charlton Athletic and he is not that person, and he never was.

Personally, I’d love to see Chris Powell back here, Charlton to his bones and had his brilliant time with us wrecked by that Belgian arsehole, others won’t agree and I know Powell has failed elsewhere, but elsewhere ain’t here.

Sorry but that’s nonsense.

A lot of people were apprehensive when the appointment was made. Some moved towards acceptance relatively quickly (myself included).

But to suggest you were part of a tiny minority who were underwhelmed by the announcement is just revisionism.

Er, no.

Go back and check the thread when we appointed him.

Then we can talk about revisionism, and it’s not from my end.

My initial post is on the page below - I was incorrect about him knowing Reddy but the rest is spot on.

Well done to the 58 LOLs - not laughing now are we? 

At the bottom of f*****g League One - the lowest league position in our entire history.

Nigel is a very nice man but he is a bullshitter and a bluffer, nothing wrong with that if you get results but when you don’t you are in very big trouble.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4260938#Comment_4260938
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s incredible how unbalanced that side is. The team is lacking quality, confidence and a game plan on how to control a football game. 

Don’t even know where to start to try and resolve the issues. Well and truly beaten by Wycombe in all areas of the pitch. Cannot believe how far we have fallen since that Bowyer league 1 team. We don’t appear to have those quality youngsters like Aribo, Grant, AD in the academy so we are going to have buy them which won’t be cheap.

The Lack of chances are the big concern so easily to defend against and the lack of movement means all confidence goes and we result to hitting long. Is Stockley the issue? I imagine we will find out on Tuesday when he’s probably dropped.

I’m not convinced Adkins knows his best 11. Two of TS big signings Kirk and DJ were both dropped and probably weren’t even missed yesterday. Gilbey is probably a starter but he needs to hit the ground running.

Overall, very concerned. Season is not over but I am not seeing much to show we are close to turning this around. 4 matches to the international break, I expect something to happen by then either improvements on the pitch or a new manager on the sidelines.

For all Adkins positivity he was ranging with the fans when we went down the tunnel. Body language was pure anger with the chants etc. Will take a huge change to turn around that relationship.
  • Every player with potential goals in him has to start above players with none.
    So drop both keepers from the squad and most of the team.
    If you are thick yes. But the point for those that aren't is there is a lack of goal scorers and creators in the squad so if you do it you are not going to fill every position. 
  • edited September 2021
    Tel on the Adkins Out thread and JohnnyH on this thread are on the money with their comments. 

Sandgaard is trying to run before he can walk. 

• edited September 2021
    If your suggestion was tongue in cheek, my comment was not aimed at you. 
  • How did Arter play?
  • We have to give Arter the benefit given that was his first start but he wasn't great.
  • I was one of the very, very few people on here who were staunchly against appointing Adkins to the job, I said he was yesterday’s man and we should either be appointing a “Charlton Man” to the job or, alternatively, look for the best up and coming manager in League One or Two.

As I said at the time, Adkins last successful spell was at Southampton TEN F*******G YEARS AGO, since then he has done precisely F**k all to suggest he was the right man for the job with us.

But, no, according to some folks, taking Hull to Championship survival basically made the bloke Sir Alex Ferguson and I picked up plenty of LOLs from the Charlton Life smart arses for my views, but now it turns out I was spot on in my original analysis.

Last season Adkins has Bowyer’s team to work with but without the likes of Aneke, Millar, Maatsen etc we are a shadow of even last seasons slightly average team.

Nigel Adkins is clearly a very decent man, certainly not an ignorant, arrogant Cockwomble like Alan Pardew, but this is not about being nice, it’s about being the right person for Charlton Athletic and he is not that person, and he never was.

Personally, I’d love to see Chris Powell back here, Charlton to his bones and had his brilliant time with us wrecked by that Belgian arsehole, others won’t agree and I know Powell has failed elsewhere, but elsewhere ain’t here.

Totally agree with this (apart from Powell)

I was in the exactly the the same camp. Seems it’s taken others a while to catch.

Yesterday’s Man is the exact phrase I’ve used for months! 
  • How did Arter play?
    Lots of sideway passes, a few sloppy ones. Better at taking corners than Morgan, but that is not a high bar
  • edited September 2021
    Perhaps NA should've demanded a 7 am Sunday morning meet at the training ground to read the riot act.  An old fashioned tactic maybe.  A literal wake up call and a chance to demonstrate his determination to wipe away this apathy. 
  • If the issue is tactical, reading the riot act hardly ever works.