Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021

Comments

• edited September 2021

Please bring back Powell and/or Curbs?

• Of all the under-performers so far this season I think that Gunter winds me up the most.
    He is a master of avoiding the ball.
    All that international experience, he should out front in taking responsibility on the pitch and lifting the younger players.
    He's an absolute wet weekend
    We were in the furthest block to the right & so almost in line with the touchline. First half Gunter must have backed off more times than Frank Bruno facing Mike Tyson. Golfie Jnr was going mad & kept shouting at him to do something (like maybe put in a tackle). 
  • Of all the under-performers so far this season I think that Gunter winds me up the most.
    All that international experience, he should out front in taking responsibility on the pitch and lifting the younger players.
    But Wales seem quite smitten with him...
    Wales is big on wet weekends
  • JamesSeed said:
    How did Arter play?
    He was fine, feeling his way as you might expect. Takes a very good corner. 
    Had some shots that were bloody awful either completely scuffed or skied.
  • Good luck Southbank With your application. Tutt-Tutt is the best Qualified; Both Muttley and myself have sent in our CV's but I was told that despite my success, with junior teams, Roll on and roll off subs don't count in adult football !!! 
    Sorry mate, the job’s gone. 
  • I'm going to expose my idiocy here, but wtf happened that (with our midfield) we signed, and then let go, Oztumer after hardly giving him a game.

Not that he's a World beater, but he at least tries...
  • I'm sure it's all been said but that was an absolutely lamentable performance, with no discernible structure or pattern of play, save for mindless hoof ball. Wycombe didn't have to get out of second gear to beat us and the game could easily have ended up 3 or 4 nil, had they not taken their foot off the gas and substituted their attacking players. It feels like something is very wrong behind the scenes and if this level of performance is replicated against Gillingham, Pompey and Bolton (all tough games), Nigel Adkins will most certainly be gone. These players simply can't be as bad as they appear.

The only positives to take from that shambolic performance were Blackett-Taylor's excellent cameo and a solid defensive turn and debut goal from Sam Lavelle. I thought that Pape Souaré did ok as well, given how long he's been out. It was good to get 90 minutes into Arter, although he was as poor as the rest of his colleagues, failing to get on the ball and overhitting a number of corners. Gunter was particularly atrocious and it was no surprise that Wycombe sensibly concentrated their attacks down his side. I'd be very happy never to see him in a Charlton shirt again and how he was selected ahead of Matthews is beyond me.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear that things are about to turn ugly

• I know football isn’t won on paper but the squad we have is full of good players . 
    The fact that the manager can’t get a tune out of them is the problem . He doesn’t even know what our best team is or what formation to use . 
     Unless there is a miraculous turn around in the next two games he has to go . 

• I think Gunter was selected because it is a toss up who is the most shite this season and Gunter had the excuse he was playing out of position. An excuse that was not applicable yesterday.
    But Wales seem quite smitten with him...
    Maybe he only raises his effort when it suits?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Good luck Southbank With your application. Tutt-Tutt is the best Qualified; Both Muttley and myself have sent in our CV's but I was told that despite my success, with junior teams, Roll on and roll off subs don't count in adult football !!! 
    Sorry mate, the job’s gone. 

Apologies James Seed, how could I forget the guy with the best DNA at Cafc.
    Can I be one of your coaches ?

Run around a lot must be the new mantra. B)
  • I know football isn’t won on paper but the squad we have is full of good players . 
    The fact that the manager can’t get a tune out of them is the problem . He doesn’t even know what our best team is or what formation to use . 

Could you let me know who are best players are, because I sure as hell ain't sure, but I do think you're spot on. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Anyone know what the ruck was about during the 2nd half. On Facebook some are saying it was because someone hit someone who was booing the taking the knee, but what I don't get was if it was over that why did it all kick off in the 2nd half and not at the time?
    I didn’t see the incident (call me Arsene) but there was a young lad who got kicked out went up first half got sent down and then went back up again when he then got chucked out.
    Went up?
  • It reminds me of last season - we are awful and can't even point to developing our youngsters in the first team as not a single home grown player is in the first 11.

Could you let me know who are best players are, because I sure as hell ain't sure, but I do think you're spot on. 
    On paper as I said in the post . 
    Most teams in this league would take players like 

Stockley 
    Lee 
    DJ 
    MacGillvray 
    Famwo
    Leko 
    Washington 
    Kirk 

but as I said , our manager can’t get a tune out of them. 

Stockley 
    Lee 
    DJ 
    MacGillvray 
    Famwo
    Leko 
    Washington 
    Kirk 

Mainly because there is no midfielders on that list. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I know football isn’t won on paper but the squad we have is full of good players . 

Stockley 
    Lee 
    DJ 
    MacGillvray 
    Famwo
    Leko 
    Washington 
    Kirk 

Mainly because there is no midfielders on that list. 
    No central midfielders yes. 
  • If you look at our last 3 more successful managers, all of them previously played for Charlton and all 3 won promotions
    1.Curbs twice to the prem.
    2.Powell to the championship but wasn't given autonomy or budget to build upon it.
    3. Bowyer to the Championship.
       All 3 seemed to have the club at heart ( even though Bows went a bit strange in the end) and seemed to have whatever it is to get the best out of a squad over a whole season.
       Also none of the above were goalkeepers in their playing careers and with the exception of perhaps Nunes Espirito Sancho and Dino Zoff they are a very very rare breed as decent managers.
       Just some food for thought.
  • edited September 2021
    I fucking hate how shit we are 
    I hate boozing and I’ve been driven to drink 
    yesterday I took the option of going to the cricket club , even though my son wasn’t playing and got pissed , rather than watch us on tv or go to Wycombe 
    I still feel like shit and the Mrs hates me nearly as much as I hate Charlton .
    fcuk you charlton and every little wankstain shit fcuk Cnut that is pathetically dragging us in to this nightmare of bollox .
    boreoff Nigel with your happy optimistic take on a load of shit and take all the everything is great in wanky Charlton land with you .
    when punters like sage and scoham are scathing at our abjectness (is that a fucking word that makes any sense in this fucked up rant ) we know we are up shit creek 

0%      Top 2
    5%     Play offs 
    45%   7th-12th
    47%    13th-20th
    3%     The big R 
    Nobody tells it like it is like you do mate.

• Sponsored links:

• I know it's all been said but I've got to get it off my chest.
    Definitely feels like there's something wrong at the club behind the scenes.
    I've no idea what it is though.
    Roddy's position & power makes me wonder is he the problem?

The club's policy of waiting/signing players late on in the window has to change. To many of them are unfit.
    The long term injury to JFC and Gilbey's long covid has been a perfect shitstorm for the club.
    NA appears not to know his best 11, plus the players are not performing for him, that's a recipe for a relegation struggle.

But what I don't understand is we have changed the manager, changed a lot of the players but we're still playing the same shite pub hoofball as last season !
    Could JJ be the problem, I hate to say that and I'm just playing devils advocate without any inside information.

Actually believe it likely JJ is not a problem and if we lose our next two games against Gillingham and Pompey NA likely to be sacked. Give JJ & Jason a chance must be an option.
     I much prefer a young up an coming manager.

PS. Back to basics  Nigel,  4-4-2 please.
  • Everyone was calling for a change in formation, well Nige certainly delivered! Gunter at wingback lol. Terrible. Feel sorry for people who wasted their hard earned on this shit again. Something is seriously wrong. Tactics are non existent, but it's more a lack of "doing the basics well" and effort from seasoned professionals. I liked nige at first, but we can't afford to waste any time here. Get rid.
  • It seems we may drop Stockley but that leaves us in another awkward situation. The selected captain and talisman is dropped after 7 games as the team are constantly hoofing the ball to him. He will be moody and his like for like is Davison who is not proven at any level.

We are in 'restart the computer and might fix your problem' territory. 
  • edited September 2021
    mendonca said:
    It seems we may drop Stockley but that leaves us in another awkward situation. The selected captain and talisman is dropped after 7 games as the team are constantly hoofing the ball to him. He will be moody and his like for like is Davison who is not proven at any level.

I wonder if we'll go with Leko or Lee with Washington.

I just hope the players remember not to hoof the ball up to them the same way

Remember when we played Fleetwood away when Lyle Taylor was suspended in 2018/19, we did similar at times with him and he was excellent bringing the ball out of the air in that sole striker role - Only against Fleetwood the players forgot it was Hackett-Fairchild up top and not Taylor so the ball was simply wasted every time it went forwards as they expected the same results.
  • I love Stockley and think he has been fantastic so far for us in terms on contribution ( until other teams realised that they stop him they stop any threat ) and effort which has always been 100%. However NA has said a number of times that he keeps telling the players not to launch it long and if they are ignoring him than take that option away and drop Stockley
  • mendonca said:
    It seems we may drop Stockley but that leaves us in another awkward situation. The selected captain and talisman is dropped after 7 games as the team are constantly hoofing the ball to him. He will be moody and his like for like is Davison who is not proven at any level.

I know why people think Davison might be a like for like but I see them as different. Davison is not as good in the air as Stockley, but Stockley does not have the pain in the arse for defenders running power and tendency to never see anything as a lost cause.
    Certainly with Davison it would be unproductive to lump it up to him.