Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021

edited September 2021 in General Charlton
A number of changes to the starting lineup failed to achieve the desired outcome as we got off to a slow start. We don’t know our best eleven. Portsmouth looked head and shoulders above us at times, but they won’t be happy with their ability to see the game out. When we made changes at halftime, they couldn’t play the ball out from the keeper as well as they had been. That changed things for us.

We came from behind twice, but didn’t have enough to pull out the winner.

Clare scored with nigh on his first touch for the first equaliser, and Davison did well to finish as Blackett-Taylor terrorised their right back to put him through in the six-yard box.

We looked clumsy and erratic in possession at times, particularly at the back, but we gave ourselves a lifeline or two with great attacking play from Lee and Gilbey, Blackett-Taylor and Leko. 

We’re not good enough and as time goes on, it looks less and less likely we’ll stumble on a formation that will turn our fortunes around. It’s not as bad as it looks, but it’s not much better, IMO. 

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Not happy with the league position but we've done by the ref here tbh.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Stockley gets nothing from the refs, in fact, his physicality almost universally goes against him. Baiting the referee by going at Stockley must be the first thing in the opposition’s playbook. It’s just not working for him.
  • Options
    Better 2nd half…Pearce scares the shit out of me in possession……still not good enough but I agree with Adkins too many late signings and they are not fit
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Don't know who was in it at the moment, cos of the f****** buffering and missing subs, but reckon that finishing 11 should be starting Tuesday imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How shit must they be 
  • Options
    By the way, have we always played Theme For Great Cities over the PA at full time? Banger 
  • Options
    Better spirit 2nd half and better pllayers last 10 minutes But man - not just us, this whole league 1 thing is an alternative to employment.
  • Options
    Without our start to the season a 2 - 2 draw against Portsmouth would be decent.

However, the fact we are are in the relegation zone and look all at sea almost every turn over of play just adds to our woes. 

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Don't know who was in it at the moment, cos of the f****** and missing subs, but reckon that finishing 11 should be starting Tuesday imo
    CBT & Davison came on for Lee & Stockley.
  • Options
    Adkins should have brought Blackett-Taylor a lot sooner . Watson isn't fit enough for this level of football  , but I thought Pearce was excellent today .
    Agree with the first point - actually thought the opposite on the second!
  • Options
    2 unbeaten.

Things are looking up. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The ref calling back the play when gilbey was through at 1-1 was a game changer. 

Still turgid and Adkins still hasn’t got a clue. Needs to go, bye nige, thanks for the walks
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    First half had me very worried. Couldn't get out of our half most of the time. But the second half we were better and should have won it. Referee made a huge mistake not playing advantage when Gilbey was through on goal.

We made many changes, probably because many players aren't fit yet. Arter rightly subbed at half time, he was very poor. Adkins should have taken Stockley off earlier. Hasn't done a single thing right today and is contantly moaning and pointing at his team mates. Not the leader this team needs. I get Jason Pearce is not an ideal first choice CB, not good enough any more, but at least he is a true leader. Clare brought us much needed energy in the middle, but is not a very good player. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    By the way, have we always played Theme For Great Cities over the PA at full time? Banger 
    Brilliant! I always wondered what that music was

They played it last season - you could hear it in the background during Charlton TV - and I asked what the tune was, but nobody replied. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDx-1L3V9U
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Two draws hopefully means we've arrested this downturn. 

Hey ...... at last we're on an unbeaten run! :smile: