Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    The team just seems so ill thought out. Stockley has been awful but it's not like we have been getting in behind and delivering crosses to him is it?
    It's a clusterf***
  • Options
    Changed to front 2 second half and won the second half so we’ve only won with 2 up front and won second half today with 2 up front will this make Nigel change his mind and play 2 up front i bleeding hope so.not sure with arter and the left back soure unless it’s lack of fitness. 
    Can’t understand why we let pratley go maybe if we only wanted Watson but now we’ve signed Arter  to me we got same 2 sort of players but pratley had more legs and fitness than Arter and Watson. 
    Thought Watson done ok today to be fair and perhaps Arter ain’t fully fit. 
  • Options
    That was quite simply awful. Given the run around by another poor team. 
    Adkins simply must go and take the recruiter-in-chief Roddy too!
  • Options
    Possibly the worst result we could have had. A loss and changes would have been made.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If we hadn’t had such a disastrous start to the season then the reception to that performance would be more measured. It had good things and bad things, but that’s an improvement on it being just all bad as was the case vs Cheltenham. I can see signs of progress, although it’s all slower than I’d like. We do at least look like scoring! Our defending is still horrible at times though. 

The 4231 just doesn’t work. I didn’t think Arter was any worse than Watson first half, but they both need some legs next to them to do a bit of the running for them and they get in each other’s way. I think Arter is probably our better long term bet (I know others will disagree), I’m still not sure if it’s Clare or Dobson who should be next to him. Clare did okay today though. Gilbey added something but, understandably tired.

Stockley needs to be dropped. Whatever you think of him, we know he’s better than this but he’s in horrible form and Davison looks hungry.

Soare clearly very rusty, but good that he managed 90 minutes. Surely there has to be a better right back than Matthews or Gunter somewhere in the youth setup?
  • Options
    Well that was mostly crap again but at least the subs made a difference. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Positives: Gilbey , CBT, Josh’s goal.  Negatives : Adkins tactically abysmal again , Arter hopeless.  I’m glad Clare got the goal but his passing is atrocious .  
  • Options

Had enough of this season I don’t remember ever saying that this early.
    Lucky for you, there's only 37 games left.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Looked awful first half and subs made the difference second half.

Pace and energy in midfield and up front, a direct winger and a mobile striker and suddenly balls start getting played forward into space and across the six yard box - instantly look better. 

Dobson isnt going to solve all our probalems but if we´re going to play shite then we might as well play shite with a younger fitter DM in the team than Watson, at least Dobson has the potential to improve and can move about a bit. 

Gilbey, Lee, Leko,  CBT and Davisson stand out players.

Special mention to Jason Pearce for acting as our Cruyff turning, ball playing CB. Please, NEVER AGAIN. Defended "okish", didnt football well. Surprised? No, didnt think so. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I dispute 'Watson doesn't have the fight'. I think he does try. He doesn't have the legs. At least he didn't walk around for 45 minutes like his slightly younger midfield partner 
    Do wonder if his lack of legs is contributing to how easy we are to carve through on a turn over. In certain situations when the balls in front of him, especially in the air, he defends really well.

Other times I swear I just see oppositions glide past him whilst he looks like he is running backwards. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Initial thoughts - not as disappointed as others. I’d give Adkins more time. Not great getting a draw at home but after the previous results two draws is a start. More positives than negatives for me. 
  • Options
    Saw CBT was recommended to not even be on the bench by the physio and sports scientists? 

Huh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tommy didn’t sack Bows, he won’t sack Adkins either.
    Bowyer deserved a bit of loyalty.  Adkins doesn’t .  Him being mates with Roddy might give him a couple more games. 

• Options

Soare clearly very rusty, but good that he manages 90 minutes. Surely there has to be a better right back than Matthews or Gunter somewhere in the youth setup?
    Clare, especially if we play 352?

I know he didn't like playing RB at Oxford, but his energy and mobility would seem ideal for a modern right back/wingback
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cabbles said:

Adkins won’t last because the tide has turned against him and I see no signs of him being able to turn it around.  Little things like saying he can’t give certain players like CBT 90 minutes because he has to bed him in

To be fair, he said in the post-match comments that he was flagged as a risk by the sports science people and shouldn't even have been on the bench. 
  • Options

We were better than that? I don't think so. 
    To be fair, we could win 350 - 0 and you would still find a negative.
    Yawn. 22nd btw. 
  • Options

Soare clearly very rusty, but good that he manages 90 minutes. Surely there has to be a better right back than Matthews or Gunter somewhere in the youth setup?

I know he didn't like playing RB at Oxford, but his energy and mobility would seem ideal for a modern right back/wingback
    Yes, I'd wondered that.  Worth a try perhaps.
  • Options
    In many ways it’s a shame because when we get on the front foot we do look a threat , it just seem our timing is always off, we seem panic when defending especially when conceding mad going behind , I still think a change is needed 
  • Options
    We have incredibly slow players all over the pitch. Not a good idea in a low skill but high tempo league. 
  • Options

Hello Gobby Robby, we've missed you at Charlton (not much though).  :smile:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    We have incredibly slow players all over the pitch. Not a good idea in a low skill but high tempo league. 
    They are not slow, just lacking in confidence 
  • Options

We were better than that? I don't think so. 
    I’m with SELR, we never deserved to win could have been 0-3 at HT.