Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    our transfer process explained in a video. 
    Been watching that for awhile now waiting for one too explode…it doesn’t does it…🙄
    Keep watching... You'll be surprised.
    I hope not he cos he won’t be well enough to say ‘What’s Up Doc’.
  • Options
    Please, please, please just leave Stockley out of the team. As for Arter - terminate his loan… absolutely disgraceful performance.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Addickted said:
    PWR.

First 25 we were awful. And as for their first goal, the shot was poor and still not sure how the keeper was beaten so easily...
    That's interesting, from where I was sitting I thought it was struck really well to loop over the keeper.
    Yeah agreed, from where I was sat he couldn’t have hit it any sweeter. There’s questions to be asked on why he wasn’t closed down but not from the keeper imho. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    People are undermarking Lee in Player Marks so far imo. Without him we'd have been completely sunk. He basically dragged us from total abjection to near-dominance, almost on his own 
    Was it him who pinged the ball to CBT to assist Davison's equaliser? I'll give it to you he did pass to Clare for the first equaliser and pressured the defence when they were in possession a bit as well as run at them with the ball.
    I thought it was Watson, pretty sure Lee had been subbed by then.
     That was my point though I should have been clearer.

Lee hardly dragged us from "total abjection to near dominance" you have to hand that to Adkins - all three subs made a positive impacful difference. His formation changes helped too.  

I think some people are wrapped up in EL because of who his father is.

Adkins is on borrowed time, but deserves credit when it's due.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Addickted said:
    PWR.

First 25 we were awful. And as for their first goal, the shot was poor and still not sure how the keeper was beaten so easily...
    That's interesting, from where I was sitting I thought it was struck really well to loop over the keeper.
    Yeah agreed, from where I was sat he couldn’t have hit it any sweeter. There’s questions to be asked on why he wasn’t closed down but not from the keeper imho. 
    Thought it was an excellent finish but as you say poor closing down.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    No CBT starting, he comes on and his first three touches are 2 corners and an assist. 
    Why can’t NADS see he has to start. 
    MOM for me. 
    Because the player was at risk of playing too much today. I'd rather we have him as an option off the bench than start the next game and be written off injured for X games.
    Could only be “risked” for 8 minutes?
    do me a favour!!!
    Do yourself a favour and stop looking for problems left right and centre. He shouldn't have been risked at all, however it was clear a reaction was needed and on.he came.
  • Options
    𝙎𝙐𝙋𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙐𝘽𝙎

• Options
    A point on the board thanks to Josh Davison's late leveller.

• Options
    Watched a few games on TV this year however today was my first visit to The Valley this season and it was good to be back.

Enough has been said above which covers my thoughts but three observations.

1/ Watson is nicking a living and should not be playing.

2/ Stockley is shocking, hardly wins a ball, first touch is abysmal, constantly falls over and could moan for England.

3/ If not injured CBT has to start, the only flair player in what is a very poor team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing is, I do get people looking for and seeing in their eyes, some positives.  However, are these positives really going to turn our season around?  I see sporadic results every now and then, but I see too many holes and not enough quality.  If you’re hoping for some sort of turnaround at some point I think you’ll be very frustrated 

• Options
    Clarky said:

We were better than that? I don't think so. 
    I’m with SELR, we never deserved to win could have been 0-3 at HT.
    At half time, they had scored from their only shot on target
    Doesn’t mean we weren’t utterly pathetic.  As someone else said if Maquis could finished we’d of been out of sight.
    But we weren't utterly pathetic. First half was poor second half we were quite good. Agreed we have to do better but a draw was a fair result but don't let that stop you being negative, yet again.
    That first half was utterly pathetic half the stadium was booing.  Course I’m fuckin negative we’ve won 1 in 9 in league one and are 22nd ffs what do you expect me to say the sun is shining the birds are singing.
    To be completely honest I'd rather you didn't say anything at all.
  • Options
    We were very lucky to draw 2-2

Clare came on scored, then gave the ball away and they scored, on the break away.

The midfield goes missing .

Can Gilbey and Lee play together , as they both  play forward, which leaves the defence exposed.

I do not reckon our Manager, 

• Options
    Please, please, please just leave Stockley out of the team. As for Arter - terminate his loan… absolutely disgraceful performance.
    Agree re Stockley. After Tuesday Davison should have started and made a difference when he came on.
  • Options

My first trip to the valley, post-COVID and I absolutely loved it.

Delicious burger with all the trimmings, sun shining on the Alan Curbishley stand, great atmosphere, lots of noise, beer before the game. Just great to be back.

Thought the commemorative mosaic unveiling before the game was very touching and nicely done. Well done to all involved.

Even the football was exciting despite us being utter garbage at times. 

I worked out with my nephew that we were playing 4-2-2-2 in the second half so had no width at all until CBT appeared belatedly. I felt very sorry for our two full backs who were constantly overloaded and had zero options going forward. Thought both did well under impossible circumstances.

We gave Pompey so much time and space on the ball that I thought their goalkeeper was going to dribble into our half at one stage and their left back was left unmarked for most of the second half and played like a fat left winger. We were lucky he was useless.

We have some decent players but someone needs to put Pearce and Watson out of their misery. It's just tragic to watch - though to be fair, Watson's precision forward pass for CBT was very classy.  We must be the only team in the Football League with a defensive midfielder who does not run or tackle. Watson looks like an OAP shuffling around Sainsbury's, leaning on his shopping trolley to stay upright. 

And what the hell has happened to Stockley? He looks like he might fall over, just running on the spot. 

On reflection, I don't think positive Nigel has a scooby-doo what he's doing. Time for a P45 I fear. 

But a great day out and thanks to my brother for treating me to the (33 quid!!) ticket. 

We are staying up (if happy-clappy Nigel gets the push). 

Pompey's keeper is the best passer of a ball I've seen this season - he does play high up the pitch....
    Let him pass it well, as long as he lets goals in at his near post every week
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I had similar feelings watching this game as I did the one midweek at Gillingham, in that for periods of the game we actually look a decent and exciting team. I think Lavelle looks a real find at this level, could definitely see him becoming a big player for us. As everyone else has said CBT is looking good and I have always thought Davison looked a prospect, I think it might be time for him to get a run of games to take Stockley out the firing line as he looks out of form at the moment. Lee is also a class act and looks a cut above league one.

However for the parts of the game we look good there are other times we look so disorganised it's untrue. I'm not sure if others have noticed this or whether its just me but the amount of time we give the opposition on the ball is absolutely astonishing at times, I've noticed it all season and it happens so regularly that it can't just be put down as a one off. At times the opposition almost look in shock at how much time they have on the ball. 

We just look so unorganised and panicky at times, I'm not sure if it's nerves or lack of confidence but everything seems to be panic stations whenever the opposition come at us. Matthews is an experienced professional and played at higher levels than this yet seems to panic when anyone gets at him, as did Souare although its to early to judge him. Pearce looks shaky whenever he's on the ball however its never been his best quality. It just feels like we have no organisation at the back which is crazy when you think of the experience we have in that back line, it's not like we are fielding a defence full of youngsters.

Just a final observation, I thought Arter was poor today however its a bit premature to write him off after a handful of games. He's hardly had a kick of a ball for the last few months expecting him to come straight into the team and dominate was never going to happen. I've no idea whether he will come good or not but I think he needs more time before anyone can make a firm judgement either way on whether he's still got it.
  • Options
    The team selection is getting beyond a joke, isn’t it?

Adkins is just throwing darts at a board and hoping he hits the bullseye.

Bottom line is that it’s Nigel’s JOB to find our best XI and get them playing in an effective system, that’s what we pay him for.

I can’t remember a proper Charlton manager (excluding clowns like Fraeye) chopping and changing players like this, it’s amateur hour stuff.

Think back to the great Alan Curbishley, remember that 5-0;stuffing at Upton Park on Boxing Day? After THAT game he made multiple changes for the Man City away game and we were all shocked because that wasn’t normal at all, it was a rarity.

Now? Mystic Meg couldn’t pick our starting XI.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clarky said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Took a mate for his first trip to the Valley, and he was shocked how disorganised we were in the first half. But overall he thought it was great entertainment and loved our spirit in the second half. He also thought that our defence looked like they were on the Pompey payroll at times. I can't  believe how our players fall over so often in dangerous positions. Poor old Pearce was the worst culprit. He tries so hard but is really struggling this season. I suspect Famewo will be back on Tuesday?

I'd been banging on to my mate about Corey Blackett-Taylor before the game, and he didn't let me down. He's had such an impact in such a short period of time. Two assists already is it? We're a different side with him in the team.  Opposition sides will have to double up on him, which should create gaps, but he also has the pace to latch on to through balls, and you can't double up to stop that. He'll start on Tuesday I'm sure.

I was disappointed to see Arter being pretty ineffective today. Hopefully he'll improve.
    Watson is fine when we just want to maintain possession for a bit, but struggles when we're on the back foot. He lacks that little bit of pace you need to get tackles in these days.
    We still look vulnerable down our flanks, and I'm not sure what you do about that. 
    Positives were  good performances from CBT, Lavelle and Lee. Clare also looked useful, but needs to improve his distribution. Great finish for his goal though. Still think Davison is a better option than Stockley. 

Thought the fans let us down a bit today. More booing of the knee, and as soon as we're a goal down, the atmosphere starts turning toxic. Understandable, to some degree, but the Portsmouth players must have loved that.

Oh and the ref wants shooting for halting play with Gilbey through on goal with their keeper in no man's land.
    No the fans in no way let is down. Yes when we went one down it wasn't great but we all rallied round. As for the booing for the knee it is totally wrong but I think that particularly avenue has run its course!
    What particular avenue (your post is ambiguous)? The booing of the knee or the players' taking the knee?

If it's the latter, do you understand why they are taking the knee and for what cause/purpose?
  • Options

I believe it's telling that Adkins told us that he changed the formation after 20 minutes.

Oh well, at least Adkins has a plan B.

Makes me wonder why we didn't start the match with that changed formation?
    We gradually looked much better for it.

• Options
    Clarky said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Took a mate for his first trip to the Valley, and he was shocked how disorganised we were in the first half. But overall he thought it was great entertainment and loved our spirit in the second half. He also thought that our defence looked like they were on the Pompey payroll at times. I can't  believe how our players fall over so often in dangerous positions. Poor old Pearce was the worst culprit. He tries so hard but is really struggling this season. I suspect Famewo will be back on Tuesday?

I'd been banging on to my mate about Corey Blackett-Taylor before the game, and he didn't let me down. He's had such an impact in such a short period of time. Two assists already is it? We're a different side with him in the team.  Opposition sides will have to double up on him, which should create gaps, but he also has the pace to latch on to through balls, and you can't double up to stop that. He'll start on Tuesday I'm sure.

I was disappointed to see Arter being pretty ineffective today. Hopefully he'll improve.
    Watson is fine when we just want to maintain possession for a bit, but struggles when we're on the back foot. He lacks that little bit of pace you need to get tackles in these days.
    We still look vulnerable down our flanks, and I'm not sure what you do about that. 
    Positives were  good performances from CBT, Lavelle and Lee. Clare also looked useful, but needs to improve his distribution. Great finish for his goal though. Still think Davison is a better option than Stockley. 

Thought the fans let us down a bit today. More booing of the knee, and as soon as we're a goal down, the atmosphere starts turning toxic. Understandable, to some degree, but the Portsmouth players must have loved that.

Oh and the ref wants shooting for halting play with Gilbey through on goal with their keeper in no man's land.
    No the fans in no way let is down. Yes when we went one down it wasn't great but we all rallied round. As for the booing for the knee it is totally wrong but I think that particularly avenue has run its course!
    What particular avenue (your post is ambiguous)? The booing of the knee or the players' taking the knee?

If it's the latter, do you understand why they are taking the knee and for what cause/purpose?
    Actually both. I completely understand the reason for taking the knee but it is clear others don't or want to understand hence the booing. Taking the knee when it first came out was very good and it made people think but now it appears to divide opinion and will unfortunately continue to do so. Not saying it should stop but maybe an alternative would be more effective.
  • Options
    Bloody typical we scored the 2 goals I jump up to celebrate each and must have dropped my phone. not a scooby where it is at the moment will have to ring them on Monday at least we got a draw as my mate was in the Jimmy Seed a Pompey boy.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    People are undermarking Lee in Player Marks so far imo. Without him we'd have been completely sunk. He basically dragged us from total abjection to near-dominance, almost on his own 
    Was it him who pinged the ball to CBT to assist Davison's equaliser? I'll give it to you he did pass to Clare for the first equaliser and pressured the defence when they were in possession a bit as well as run at them with the ball.
    I thought it was Watson, pretty sure Lee had been subbed by then.
     That was my point though I should have been clearer.

Lee hardly dragged us from "total abjection to near dominance" you have to hand that to Adkins - all three subs made a positive impacful difference. His formation changes helped too.  

I think some people are wrapped up in EL because of who his father is.

Adkins is on borrowed time, but deserves credit when it's due.
    We drew 1-1.  We sit 22nd in.the table.  Getting a draw for us because the team HE chose himself was shit, shouldn't get him.credit.

You ok with us getting relegated, so long as we regularly get a draw, at home, from a losing position?!

We are the lowest and worst we've ever been in our history.
  • Options
    Better but this squad is so frustrating.

The potential is there but not, IMHO being realised.

Pleased for Clare, think he got too quickly blamed and written off after the poor team start.

CBT everything you need in a winger.  Did anyone see how he reacted to Davison's goal. Told he didn't celebrate?

Arter disappointed, Souare improving, Lee and Gilbey give us legs.

At least coming from behind (behave) shows some spirit

Still not good enough to win a game and who knows what the XI or XVIII will be on Tuesday.

Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating
    We’re effectively just coming to the end of pre-season due to the late recruitment. After the Southampton game I expect things might settle down a bit. We’ll start winning games now.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Better but this squad is so frustrating.

The potential is there but not, IMHO being realised.

Pleased for Clare, think he got too quickly blamed and written off after the poor team start.

CBT everything you need in a winger.  Did anyone see how he reacted to Davison's goal. Told he didn't celebrate?

Arter disappointed, Souare improving, Lee and Gilbey give us legs.

At least coming from behind (behave) shows some spirit

Still not good enough to win a game and who knows what the XI or XVIII will be on Tuesday.

Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating
    We’re effectively just coming to the end of pre-season due to the late recruitment. After the Southampton game I expect things might settle down a bit. We’ll start winning games now.
    Lots of other L1 clubs have problems but they seem to manage them better.