Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Second Half better than first but I am not convinced 
    Atkins Is the man to sort this mess out 👎👎👎
  • Options
    Extra special late mention to Blackett-taylor, advised to not play by the fitness staff and made a massive impact when he came on... Says a lot about our team when someone who wasn't fit had that much of an impact to our game. 

Back to the beer. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Took a mate for his first trip to the Valley, and he was shocked how disorganised we were in the first half. But overall he thought it was great entertainment and loved our spirit in the second half. He also thought that our defence looked like they were on the Pompey payroll at times. I can't  believe how our players fall over so often in dangerous positions. Poor old Pearce was the worst culprit. He tries so hard but is really struggling this season. I suspect Famewo will be back on Tuesday?

I'd been banging on to my mate about Corey Blackett-Taylor before the game, and he didn't let me down. He's had such an impact in such a short period of time. Two assists already is it? We're a different side with him in the team.  Opposition sides will have to double up on him, which should create gaps, but he also has the pace to latch on to through balls, and you can't double up to stop that. He'll start on Tuesday I'm sure.

I was disappointed to see Arter being pretty ineffective today. Hopefully he'll improve.
    Watson is fine when we just want to maintain possession for a bit, but struggles when we're on the back foot. He lacks that little bit of pace you need to get tackles in these days.
    We still look vulnerable down our flanks, and I'm not sure what you do about that. 
    Positives were  good performances from CBT, Lavelle and Lee. Clare also looked useful, but needs to improve his distribution. Great finish for his goal though. Still think Davison is a better option than Stockley. 

Thought the fans let us down a bit today. More booing of the knee, and as soon as we're a goal down, the atmosphere starts turning toxic. Understandable, to some degree, but the Portsmouth players must have loved that.

Oh and the ref wants shooting for halting play with Gilbey through on goal with their keeper in no man's land.
    No the fans in no way let is down. Yes when we went one down it wasn't great but we all rallied round. As for the booing for the knee it is totally wrong but I think that particularly avenue has run its course !
  • Options
    The downside of  today was.
    I was umming and erring wether to take a jumper.
    Spent from 11am to 7.30pm carrying said jumper and didnt wear the jumper all day.
  • Options
    Referee was a useless Tosser👎👎
  • Options
    PWR.

First 25 we were awful. And as for their first goal, the shot was poor and still not sure how the keeper was beaten so easily.

We then started to get our act together and became the more dominant team 

The early equaliser really put them on the  back foot and I thought we started to play 'our' game. Couldn't believe the transformation.

An error by the ref (who I thought had a good game) cost us big time, but pleased to see he apologised to our players after.

Basic mistake cost the second goal against the run of play, but always thought we'd get back into it.

The fresh legs coming on caused them all sorts of problems as they were clearly tiring for the last 15 mins.

Neither Pearce or Watson let us down today either, as I assume a few posters will be keen to let us know. They both worked their so ks off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent performance in the end apart from a shaky 10 mins first half ..we got ourselves back into the game and second half deserved three points … the old men Pearce and Watson outstanding .. MOM was Matthews who had his hands full but was excellent today … 
    You live off social media.
    I am glad I am amongst human contact discussing the game.
  • Options
    We are so disorganized it's embarrassing and we seem to keep backing off when under pressure.

Pearce was awful and Arter/Matthews not much better. We looked a lot better once Stockley went off - he's such a limited player. CBT terrified their defence.

We were lucky to get a draw but at least had attacking intent second half.

The distribution from the Pompey keeper was amazing - he can really pick a pass.
    Turn your seat round so you see the game !!!!! 
    Colin, you're a disturbed person.

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Not happy with the league position but we've done by the ref here tbh.
    And not our own inadequacies?
    Don't get me wrong, first half was horrid and the marquis miss was a sitter. However I feel that their second doesn't happen if gilbey is allowed through.
    Keeper had no chance and their heads would drop, remember their players are out of confidence too.  At that point we were well on top and I can't see how they would react in any other way than capitulation. 

Obviously just my take. 

• Options
    Hopefully, Nige can now stop tinkering with the team selection and is now in the position to start a consistent starting eleven.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    PWR.

First 25 we were awful. And as for their first goal, the shot was poor and still not sure how the keeper was beaten so easily...
    That's interesting, from where I was sitting I thought it was struck really well to loop over the keeper.
  • Options
    Adkins has no idea what his first team is. I thought Watson really played well - won loads of tackles - although everyone seems to get on his back.  Although Matthews made on great tackle, I thought he was very poor and at fault for the first goal and spends most of his time on the half way life, even when we are defending - good going forward but unable to defend - and most goals conceded come down his side. Teams work him out early. 
    Adkins spent too long bringing on the subs for the last 10 minutes - why not at least 20 minutes
  • Options
    Impressed by the character shown by some of the players to get back in the game, but it really disappoints me we have large periods of games when we are utterly awful. The Curtis finish was absolute top drawer, but it feels like heads immediately drop. Tactics felt like an absolute mess for the first 25 mins and it was painful to watch. If Marquis had taken his chance in the first half, I feel like we'd never have got back into it. They'll be kicking themselves they didn't put us away when they had that chance.

I've not had many bones to pick with Stockley before, but today he felt completely ineffective. It seems every week that opposing teams have at least one CB who can compete with him easily. Unless we are going 4-4-2 with Leko/Washington next to him, I don't think he makes much of a difference. NA clearly likes his 4-2-3-1 system more and Davison offers infinitely more in that sole striker role. Arter looked disappointingly poor and, combined with Watson, just meant we lacked legs. I've seen worse games from Watson (that's as good as he'll get from me), but we really had rings run around us in the first half in midfield, once again. I was pleased to see the half-time change to bring on Clare, who brought in some driving legs. Not sure why Pearce was again preferred to Famewo or even Elerewe - like Watson he fought, but I just despair at the lack of energy.

There's glimpses of what could be here - I'd kill for JFC to be back. Lee was good, CB-T great again and Gilbey lasted the 90. Sadly, I think it's still too messy, we have no fixed line-up and the tinkering keeps happening. Lose against Bolton and I think NA could be struggling and the calls for the JJ/JE to get a chance will get even louder.
  • Options
    Adkins is a bumbling halfwit 
    Starting Gilbey wide left? 
    Leaving Arter on for longer than 20 minutes?
    Waiting 82 minutes to bring on Tuesday’s MoM?
    Clueless? Arrogant? Doesn’t matter he’s a berk and needs the elbow 
    He always talks about “pressing “ but we never see any He never sets them up to do that 
    for 30 odd minutes today we were rudderless Cowley had him rumbled and if Marquis wasn’t pony it was all over inside half an hour 
    pompey shoulda had that sewn up 4 or 5 by HT but they let us off the hook big time 
    Bolton are gonna rip us a new one on Tuesday and the Sad Scummer Bastard ain’t got the first hint of a clue what to do about any of it
    And Coggins rogered  us clear up the Gary when he rightly let Pompey play on with advantage then went back to book Soare but minutes later he pulls us up on halfway when Lee was clear thru for a 1 on 1. That’s not a “mistake “ that’s not “interpretation “ that’s flat out cheating And I’ll tell him to his smug pastey face given the chance Prick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t deny the fighting spirit and welcome the point BUT NA has got to sort out his selections. He cannot play two midfield codgers in the same side, one at worst and Pearce has to be used as a real last resort. His playing style and slowness (thinking and play) is palpitation raising. 

Clare made such a difference second half and CBT delivered such a great cameo. Bravo those two in particular.
  • Options
    CBT the new Chuks without the goals but assists
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    People are undermarking Lee in Player Marks so far imo. Without him we'd have been completely sunk. He basically dragged us from total abjection to near-dominance, almost on his own 
    Was it him who pinged the ball to CBT to assist Davison's equaliser? I'll give it to you he did pass to Clare for the equaliser and pressured the defence when they were in possession a bit as well as run at them with the ball.
  • Options
    No CBT starting, he comes on and his first three touches are 2 corners and an assist. 
    Why can’t NADS see he has to start. 
    MOM for me. 
    Because the player was at risk of playing too much today. I'd rather we have him as an option off the bench than start the next game and be written off injured for X games.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    People are undermarking Lee in Player Marks so far imo. Without him we'd have been completely sunk. He basically dragged us from total abjection to near-dominance, almost on his own 
    Was it him who pinged the ball to CBT to assist Davison's equaliser? I'll give it to you he did pass to Clare for the equaliser and pressured the defence when they were in possession a bit as well as run at them with the ball.
    I thought it was Watson, pretty sure Lee had been subbed by then.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    I thought it was Watson, pretty sure Lee had been subbed by then.
    Yeah it was Watson... Lee came off for CBT
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    No CBT starting, he comes on and his first three touches are 2 corners and an assist. 
    Why can’t NADS see he has to start. 
    MOM for me. 
    Because the player was at risk of playing too much today. I'd rather we have him as an option off the bench than start the next game and be written off injured for X games.
    Could only be “risked” for 8 minutes?
    do me a favour!!!