Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    We are so disorganized it's embarrassing and we seem to keep backing off when under pressure.

Pearce was awful and Arter/Matthews not much better. We looked a lot better once Stockley went off - he's such a limited player. CBT terrified their defence.

We were lucky to get a draw but at least had attacking intent second half.

The distribution from the Pompey keeper was amazing - he can really pick a pass.
    Turn your seat round so you see the game !!!!! 
  • Options
    We are so disorganized it's embarrassing and we seem to keep backing off when under pressure.

Pearce was awful and Arter/Matthews not much better. We looked a lot better once Stockley went off - he's such a limited player. CBT terrified their defence.

We were lucky to get a draw but at least had attacking intent second half.

The distribution from the Pompey keeper was amazing - he can really pick a pass.
    Turn your seat round so you see the game !!!!! 
    You obviously watched a different game based on your comments.
  • Options
    Stockley seems quite a negative influence on his teammates 
    He certainly has a negative on me at the moment..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent performance in the end apart from a shaky 10 mins first half ..we got ourselves back into the game and second half deserved three points … the old men Pearce and Watson outstanding .. MOM was Matthews who had his hands full but was excellent today … 
    You're not the real Colin, the real Colin would've blamed everything on the ref
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DFRM
  • Options
    Excellent performance in the end apart from a shaky 10 mins first half ..we got ourselves back into the game and second half deserved three points … the old men Pearce and Watson outstanding .. MOM was Matthews who had his hands full but was excellent today … 
    Blatant LOL searching, must be on a parallel universe..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We were better than that? I don't think so. 
    I’m with SELR, we never deserved to win could have been 0-3 at HT.
    Equally it could’ve been 1-1 at HT without a couple of their keepers saves. Did Pompey deserve their half time lead? On balance, yes they did.

By full time, a draw was the right result.
  • Options
    Today we saw why we were missing Conor Washington

Was ridiculous in the second half the amount of times that Bazunu and centre-back just lazily passed back between themselves in the middle of the park with no pressure on them.

Dunno if it was intentional from Stockley and Leko to force them that way but they'd just stand there to try and stop it from going out wide, and even when it did they ended up chasing it.
  • Options
    Can I just rep for Marquis' miss a second here. The clown prince of Charlton antagonists 
  • Options
    Get CBT signed up on a decent contract now.
    Pompey defenders really struggled with him.
  • Options
    Even the opposition dont have a scooby what Adkins might do each week

• Options
    My Dad once described Steve Brown as "having the turning circle of the Ark Royal". If we are turning things around, it seems to happening at a similar pace, and we're going to need to go some once we have to achieve a respectable finish by the looks of things.
  • Options
    Few more quotes from Cowley:

"That was a good game, wasn't it?" #cafc

"I felt we had complete control in the first half. When you have that dominance you have to convert the chances you make. We forced them into a formation change, they played 4-2-2-2 from 35 minutes." #cafc

"We probably created enough chances - away from home - to win three matches away from home. We did an awful lot of things right today." #cafc

"We played a 3-4-3. Mahlon played with a huge amount of athleticism and power." #cafc

"He missed some chances, but that's the life of a number nine. Jon Marquis scores goals and we know that." #cafc

Cowley said Portsmouth looked to overload #cafc in midfield. He felt they did that, until Adkins changed formation.

Danny Cowley has just made Nigel Adkins a cup of tea in the press room. That's a first. #cafc
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Better result than most games this season but the same issues.

- opposition press us and we’re uncomfortable passing out from the back

- we don’t know how or can’t press the opposition effectively

- the balance of our central midfield still isn’t right

- when we go long Stockley is easily dealt with. When he wins the ball or a set piece it rarely leads to anything

- our corners and free kicks weren’t good enough, other than the goal they didn’t cause any problems

- all of the above and the constant changes in the starting 11 and with formations continues to suggest Adkins isn’t developing a style of play

On the positives

- we have several exciting attacking midfielders/wingers, Leko, Lee and CBT deserving to start with hopefully more to come from Kirk and DJ at some point this season

- Davison may surprise us this season, he’s more mobile than Stockley and that improves us, we’re less predictable. Teams know what Stockley can and can’t do, and being an old fashioned target man he doesn’t have the pace to play another way

Despite plenty of options I hope we’re looking at central midfield for January. Too many players appear to be young and inconsistent or older and lacking legs and possibly hunger.

Need to improve RB too. To go up you need a good base of players who will make the step up, neither Matthews or Gunter will do that. Left back isn’t much better but Souare may need time to build up his fitness and Purrington is a bit more solid.

Have to look at LCB as well, Pearce shouldn’t be more than cover while I’m not convinced about Famewo in a team looking to play from the back. To progress we need to be capable of that even if we’re not a pure possession team.

Today’s result isn’t enough even if it’s an improvement. It keeps NA in his job but I can’t see him being the manager to take us up. He’s now desperately trying to find a magic formula to get results. By now we should have clear signs of a style of play even if we’re not quite getting the results.

On paper the stats show a similar number of shots, but most of ours were ones a keeper should be saving rather than quality chances. 

Portsmouth will be disappointed not to win that and looked much more comfortable in possession. I can’t see Adkins getting us playing with that confidence and belief on the ball, or press as effectively. This isn’t a budget issue, we’ve spent plenty on fees for this level and our loans likely aren’t cheap. Everyone seems to pass and press better than us whether we’re playing Pompey or Cheltenham. I’m at the point where I have no problem missing a game if I have the chance to do something else. 
    We're maxed out on squad numbers as it is, with JFC not included. No way we will bring in a 3rd RB or another left sided CB, such changes won't happen until next summer

A bit farcical when 2 of the players we've spent decent (for L1) money on can't get in the side. As Curbs said on Charlton TV earlier, we now have 2 sides, which sounds great but isn't if you end up with 22 average players instead of 16 good ones and 6 backup players