Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021

Comments

• Options

We were better than that? I don't think so. 
    I’m with SELR, we never deserved to win could have been 0-3 at HT.
    At half time, they had scored from their only shot on target
  • Options
    Pompey fans I was talking to after the game seemed to think they’d be below us at the end of the season, not that they were predicting we be that high up the table. 
    I spoke to a few Pompey fans and they agreed both sides were poor defensively.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    TN15 said:
    I don't know why Adkins left in so long to put CBT on?
    He doesn't know what he's doing.
    Sack him!
    Because the sports scientists said CBT shouldn't even be on the bench.

In that case, knowing CBT shouldn't be played - it makes you think Adkins was desperate for one last throw of the dice, bringing on CBT.

What does that say for Adkins' faith in Kirk and DJ (both on long contracts) that the manager would rather trust someone on the "red line" than them
  • Options
    We are scoring and having more shots on target than previously. 

Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options

Off now to do tea & then to watch Europe capitulate even further in the Ryder Cup

Didn't realise you actually followed the golf, Golfie? 

• Options

Equally it could’ve been 1-1 at HT without a couple of their keepers saves. Did Pompey deserve their half time lead? On balance, yes they did.

By full time, a draw was the right result.
    If Portsmouth didn't have Marquis up front they would have won 3-1. 
    Marquis laid on Pompey's 2nd goal.

Clever back heel, wrongfooted our CBs and opened up acres of space on the edge of the box for their player to score.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We seem to put together about 25 minutes of decent play every game and it's usually at the start of either half. Why? It always gives NA something positive to say and is probably saving his job but it's really not good enough with the squad we have.

Outside of that 25 minutes, the pattern always seems to be the same. Pressed by the opposition, we play the ball backwards and sideways at the back before a hoof. It's so evicent, every opposition player and manager takes advantage of this major weakness.
  • Options

To be fair, we could win 350 - 0 and you would still find a negative.
    Yawn. 22nd btw. 
    Yawn, there are another 91 clubs you could support so why bore us?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    listening to the roddy / gallen q&a, roddy mentioned playing the charlton way - same through the ages up to first team - that must be the 1 up top thing - now, that clearly isn't working for the first team and i've never seen how stockley can play as a lone striker - so, does nige put his hands up and change it or persist with a system that is, i assume, being coached throughout the club? If he carries on, it will be his undoing coz it doesn't suit what we have - would c hganging it be an acceptance that the roddy / atkins masterplan is flawed or at least that they can't recognise what players suit it? I'm convinced any manager would come in right now and get what we have in the squad, playing much much better - the cowleys would love to have our squad by the sounds of it - is the roddy / adkins 'way' hamstringing us?  
  • Options
    We have incredibly slow players all over the pitch. Not a good idea in a low skill but high tempo league. 
    They are not slow, just lacking in confidence 
    CBT- pace++ and skill
    Leko-pace and....

Lee/Gilbey/Matthews-meduim pace

All the rest statues

Lack of confidence slows decision making 
  • Options
    I’m prepared to give Adkins a bit of time. The last two games have been more positive, especially today. I don’t think we should underestimate the effect on players who aren’t 100% match fit. I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, at least for a few more games.  
    I think that’s why he’s been chopping and changing. But he will get a settled team. For example Clare looked a good player today but when he first came in he didn’t. Fitness plays a big part in professional sports. 
    I know the big part of that was the slow transfer window but it is what it is. That’s in the past. But I’m feeling a bit more positive today that Nigel has a plan. We’ll see anyway over the next few games. 
  • Options
    Excellent performance in the end apart from a shaky 10 mins first half ..we got ourselves back into the game and second half deserved three points … the old men Pearce and Watson outstanding .. MOM was Matthews who had his hands full but was excellent today … 
    Agree Matthews was best defender on outfield ( was that 1st half penalty box    tackle him?  I think it was) however disappointed with 3 dud crosses , also missed a chance for a forward pass for Leko in last 10 mins, so can do better on the attack.
    Feel guilty criticising Pearce but I nearly had a heart attack several times, he's got the fighter still in him but the slow turning circle etc I think he's seen his best days. God Bless Him.
    Lavelle- mini-me  Pearce? tell me if wrong
    Souares- not impressed but may improve. 

Mc goalkeeper- susceptible to long range shots like Amos!! ( or is it the lack of protection) otherwise decent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    A real curate’s egg.  We obviously have some good players but we aren’t making the best use of them.Playing out from the back via Jason isn’t the way to go, especially when he plays the ball behind Souaré. Watson and Stockley are too immobile, it’s only worth playing Stockley if we can put lots of quality crosses into the box.
  • Options
    Excellent performance in the end apart from a shaky 10 mins first half ..we got ourselves back into the game and second half deserved three points … the old men Pearce and Watson outstanding .. MOM was Matthews who had his hands full but was excellent today … 
    Agree Matthews was best defender on outfield ( was that 1st half penalty box    tackle him?  I think it was) however disappointed with 3 dud crosses , also missed a chance for a forward pass for Leko in last 10 mins, so can do better on the attack.
    Feel guilty criticising Pearce but I nearly had a heart attack several times, he's got the fighter still in him but the slow turning circle etc I think he's seen his best days. God Bless Him.

Mc goalkeeper- susceptible to long range shots like Amos!! ( or is it the lack of protection) otherwise decent
    McG had to deal with 167 backpasses today which is pretty impressive...
  • Options

At half time, they had scored from their only shot on target
    Doesn’t mean we weren’t utterly pathetic.  As someone else said if Maquis could finished we’d of been out of sight.
  • Options

My first trip to the valley, post-COVID and I absolutely loved it.

Delicious burger with all the trimmings, sun shining on the Alan Curbishley stand, great atmosphere, lots of noise, beer before the game. Just great to be back.

Thought the commemorative mosaic unveiling before the game was very touching and nicely done. Well done to all involved.

Even the football was exciting despite us being utter garbage at times. 

I worked out with my nephew that we were playing 4-2-2-2 in the second half so had no width at all until CBT appeared belatedly. I felt very sorry for our two full backs who were constantly overloaded and had zero options going forward. Thought both did well under impossible circumstances.

We gave Pompey so much time and space on the ball that I thought their goalkeeper was going to dribble into our half at one stage and their left back was left unmarked for most of the second half and played like a fat left winger. We were lucky he was useless.

We have some decent players but someone needs to put Pearce and Watson out of their misery. It's just tragic to watch - though to be fair, Watson's precision forward pass for CBT was very classy.  We must be the only team in the Football League with a defensive midfielder who does not run or tackle. Watson looks like an OAP shuffling around Sainsbury's, leaning on his shopping trolley to stay upright. 

And what the hell has happened to Stockley? He looks like he might fall over, just running on the spot. 

On reflection, I don't think positive Nigel has a scooby-doo what he's doing. Time for a P45 I fear. 

But a great day out and thanks to my brother for treating me to the (33 quid!!) ticket. 

We are staying up (if happy-clappy Nigel gets the push). 

Pompey's keeper is the best passer of a ball I've seen this season - he does play high up the pitch....
    Class weren’t he, he looked like he could play centre back.
  • Options

My first trip to the valley, post-COVID and I absolutely loved it.

Delicious burger with all the trimmings, sun shining on the Alan Curbishley stand, great atmosphere, lots of noise, beer before the game. Just great to be back.

Thought the commemorative mosaic unveiling before the game was very touching and nicely done. Well done to all involved.

Even the football was exciting despite us being utter garbage at times. 

I worked out with my nephew that we were playing 4-2-2-2 in the second half so had no width at all until CBT appeared belatedly. I felt very sorry for our two full backs who were constantly overloaded and had zero options going forward. Thought both did well under impossible circumstances.

We gave Pompey so much time and space on the ball that I thought their goalkeeper was going to dribble into our half at one stage and their left back was left unmarked for most of the second half and played like a fat left winger. We were lucky he was useless.

We have some decent players but someone needs to put Pearce and Watson out of their misery. It's just tragic to watch - though to be fair, Watson's precision forward pass for CBT was very classy.  We must be the only team in the Football League with a defensive midfielder who does not run or tackle. Watson looks like an OAP shuffling around Sainsbury's, leaning on his shopping trolley to stay upright. 

And what the hell has happened to Stockley? He looks like he might fall over, just running on the spot. 

On reflection, I don't think positive Nigel has a scooby-doo what he's doing. Time for a P45 I fear. 

But a great day out and thanks to my brother for treating me to the (33 quid!!) ticket. 

We are staying up (if happy-clappy Nigel gets the push). 

Pompey's keeper is the best passer of a ball I've seen this season - he does play high up the pitch....
    Class weren’t he, he looked like he could play centre back.
    His range of passing was amazing...
  • Options

Souares got so many hospital passes from Pearce. I think he did pretty well otherwise.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    clb74 said:
    Charlton to west Wickham 35 minutes 
    What a result 
    I was on the same two trains.  Waiting at Charlton station there was some 50 odd year old Pomey fella giving it abuse to the Charlton lads the other side of the track...nothing abnormal except he had very clearly wet himself.  😂😂