Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Don’t want Jackson or Euell in the job, this is too critical now and we need an experienced head. 

Depends what your expectations for this season are now really, I think we literally need the slight bounce players might get from JJ in charge even if he's not a great manager just to get us out of this relegation mess and finish wherever, rather than bringing in someone who might want to change the whole team in Jan and take a while to adjust, we just need to do literally anything we can right now to get out of the relegation zone in League One as that is completely catastrophic and maybe they might do for that, and we can look back to the "Premier League in 5 years" (lolz) at a later date
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not sure what's worse, that performance or the first train after FT being cancelled. Standing in the pissing rain at Charlton station seems about the right way to end this evening.
    I feel for your who went tonight.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Everybody out, including Gallen if he has more responsibility than negotiating contracts and fees.

Rip the whole thing up.  Give the manager 100% responsibility and accountability.

Yes that includes Jackson we have been shit, mainly, for 2 years now.  He has to take some responsibility. 
    As abysmal it’s been this season under Adkins, I’m glad you posted this.  The players absolutely have to take some responsibility for how bad they’ve been this season.  As an example, Matthews, woefully out of position for Saturday’s goal against Pompey, repeated exactly the same tonight allowing the forward to cut in for their first.  

Collectively that defence is shocking.  I’ve got nothing to add that won’t be repeated many times over on here tonight.  If we keep Adkins we’ll be in League Two next season.  It’s gone drastically wrong and this run reminds me of that run Luzon went on before we got rid of him.  
  • Options
    Why do we support a club that’s in a permanent state of turmoil ?

60 years next January SHG, at my wits end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't see how Adkins changes it from here - must make a change now before it is too late 
  • Options
    Well up until about 75 minutes on the whole we played well, certainly the best going forward I've seen at home in a while. But I don't think there keeper made a save, then we just fell apart.

I said a few games in, if you take away the 6 game winning streak last season it's been pretty much relegation form. Long season ahead 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    So, how long are the boys on Charlton TV going to have to fill for before Nigel fronts up?
    A VERY long time.

Surely he's not going to have to come out and speak, is he?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    My post on the match preview thread, score bang on, lots of changes bang on, leaking as the game draws to a close...... we're just so predictable. Leaving Blackett-Taylor on when it was clear he was spent was criminal.

Adkins simply has to go, the longer this goes on the more likely we are to not be able to get out of it.

Rob7Lee said:
    This will be a tough test, if the team turns up as per the other games the season we're in for a walloping. I can honestly see us getting turned over by a 3 goal margin.

If the team turns up that we've seen 15 minute glimpses of we could sneak a draw, however I'm a realist....... Adkins will make 3-4 changes minimum, we'll get overrun in midfield due to playing a variation of 4 1 1 1 1 2, we'll be 0-2 by half time, a 10 minute spell in the second where we get a goal back, only to concede another one or two as the game draws to a close, Adkins walks the plank for another day despite us being bottom 2.....

But I live in hope, he may play a more conventional 4-4-2 and not ask Pearce & Lavelle to religiously be our playmakers from the back, he may allow experienced professionals to play the game as they read it on the pitch..... but then again........

Heart says 1-1, head says 1-4.

Spooky
  • Options
    Well, I have solved the goalkeeping problem already... giz a job TS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-58721620
  • Options
    TS is becoming the master of understatement ! 
    He needs to get off his phone, get on a plane and come and sort this mess out. And if he is going to ding NA he better bring his cheque book.
    thus might be the issue .. Sandy's budget might not run to sacking Adkins despite his obvious and abject failure as a manager and paying an enticing up front golden handshake for an experienced manager who has a chance to get us something close to back on track
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Don’t want Jackson or Euell in the job, this is too critical now and we need an experienced head. 

Depends what your expectations for this season are now really, I think we literally need the slight bounce players might get from JJ in charge even if he's not a great manager just to get us out of this relegation mess and finish wherever, rather than bringing in someone who might want to change the whole team in Jan and take a while to adjust, we just need to do literally anything we can right now to get out of the relegation zone in League One as that is completely catastrophic and maybe they might do for that, and we can look back to the "Premier League in 5 years" (lolz) at a later date
    I think you’re right … this has turned into a season for survival 
  • Options
    We’re feckin’ shit,
    We’re feckin’ shit,
    Repeat ad infinitum. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Uboat said:
    bobmunro said:
    stonemuse said:
    I’m naturally optimistic and I saw no point in sacking a manager this soon … but do you know what? … he has lost the dressing room and lost the fans … just walk away Nigel, you are destroying us 

That is an absolute fact.
    That’s twice you’ve said that tonight. Can you elaborate at all?

Sorry, no - but I know for a fact he has, and it's happened before with him.
    What’s stopping you from expanding on that? 
  • Options
    Alright, ten games in and we are second bottom. It's grim grim grim.

Pre-Gillingham I said anything less than five points from Gills, Pompey, Bolton and I'd be in the Adkins out camp. Unfortunately that has come to pass with only 2 points.

Is the Rotherham game postponed for internationals yet? We need to target the 16th (away @ Lincoln) as the reset to our season with a new man in charge otherwise this could get really ugly really quickly.
  • Options
    Why do we support a club that’s in a permanent state of turmoil ?

60 years next January SHG, at my wits end.
    My first game was in 1961
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are we allowed to be negative yet? 

Some of us could see this from the first couple of games and were shouted down. 
    You weren't shouted down for it. You were shouted down for a constant barrage of negativity. Even you said before today's game that he should get a few more games. 

Personally I have moved to the get rid position now. I always think it's fair to give 10 games. 

6 points from 10 games is sackable. 9 from 10 I'd have taken if we were 3 unbeaten at least to 15 games, but we're not and we completely collapsed.
    Genuinely you can't change the players until January so what's the point? 

Recruitment was awful and these players are just crap. There's no dancing around that fact. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    aliwibble said:
    So, how long are the boys on Charlton TV going to have to fill for before Nigel fronts up?
    He might have left in a laundry basket………….oh hang on minute 😏
  • Options
    Aside from the tactics and the changes  how do we have so many players who are knackered after 65 minutes? We'll need six subs per game if the players can't play a full match.
  • Options
    Some night:

- Charlton lost 4-1, at home, in the third division 
    - my train home was cancelled (cheers South Eastern!)
    - I ran from the station to the bus stop in the pouring rain just in time to watch the bus home pull away
    - I haven’t even had drink because I have an early start at work tomorrow!