Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are We Getting Relegated?

Comments

• Options
    Need a proper transfer window or we are down.  14/1 tempting but I am pinning my unrealistic  hopes on the transfer window.
    If it weren't illegal to do so then one wouldn't be surprised if TS hadn't backed us at much bigger odds to do just that before the season had begun. It's one way to cover your losses. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    90% nailed on we will go down this season.

10% chance we won’t if club is sold to a sensible owner so that we can start fixing the squad.

Everything I am reading is that our squad will get worse in January.
    Are you related to Golfie?
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I was saying back in October on the Post Match threads that, make no mistake, we're in a relegation fight. And we are. We just don't have the players. Serious work needed in this window and I'm sure that's why this lot have been brought in. But, is it too much? After today I wonder.
    Bringing talented players into a team struggling is difficult, players can hit the ground running when you are in form.
    Besides, a player of any quality is going to look at us and say "no thanks".
  • Options
    There will be 4-5 other clubs all saying exactly the same thing about their prospects, and I reckon we’ll probably squeak a few results against sides like Morecambe and Forest Green between now and end of season which will be the difference. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I was saying back in October on the Post Match threads that, make no mistake, we're in a relegation fight. And we are. We just don't have the players. Serious work needed in this window and I'm sure that's why this lot have been brought in. But, is it too much? After today I wonder.
    Bringing talented players into a team struggling is difficult, players can hit the ground running when you are in form.
    We just need experienced journeymen that can do a job at L1 level - you don't need massive quality to stay up.
  • Options
    @Airman Brown believes we are too big to reach the National League.

Who would have thought it would take Liverpool 30 years to win the title?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    There will be 4-5 other clubs all saying exactly the same thing about their prospects, and I reckon we’ll probably squeak a few results against sides like Morecambe and Forest Green between now and end of season which will be the difference. 
    The problem is we don't tend to pick up results against those types of club, we tend to lose.
  • Options
    The sides that we have beaten this season currently sit 1st, 7th, 10th, 11th and 14th in the division, an average position of 8.6th in the league.
    This suggests to me that mentally our team/management is seriously lacking and doesn't bode well for a relegation battle.
  • Options
    The sides that we have beaten this season currently sit 1st, 7th, 10th, 11th and 14th in the division, an average position of 8.6th in the league.
    This suggests to me that mentally our team/management is seriously lacking and doesn't bode well for a relegation battle

The likes of Kirk, CBT, JRS won't be up for it and the kids except Leaburn are not ready
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    This suggests to me that mentally our team/management is seriously lacking and doesn't bode well for a relegation battle

The likes of Kirk, CBT, JRS won't be up for it and the kids except Leaburn are not ready
    It was said on Charlton TV and it’s so true. You can’t rely on kids in a relegation fight. That was so evident today, especially in the 1st half. But, this is the situation we find ourselves in because of Sandgaard’s reliance on our academy while he’s trying to balance the books. This is 100% his doing and unless he has new investment coming in, or we have a new owner coming in who is prepared to invest then I can’t see things changing. We’ll get a good feel of how that looks in the next two weeks but I’m not holding my breath. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I still reckon there’s four seriously terrible teams in the division that will out-awful us. That being said, my faith in my theory is diminishing quickly…
    I have been saying this up until 3 weeks ago. I think we're done for.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bagIiK1ss4
  • Options
    5 wins in 23 games is absolutely pathetic and this is quite possibly the worst side in our history.

There is every chance this lot will go down if we don't get at least 4-5 new players in.
  • Options

There is no misery too great that Charlton Athletic cannot obtain. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    90% nailed on we will go down this season.

10% chance we won’t if club is sold to a sensible owner so that we can start fixing the squad.

Everything I am reading is that our squad will get worse in January.
    Are you related to Golfie?
    Actually feel thats harsh on Golfie
  • Options
    Doesn't look promising does it 😕 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

What I’m actually saying is that no club of Charlton’s size has ever been relegated from the EFL and references to clubs that have been or are currently there as evidence of the danger are overblown. Anything can happen but it would not be a routine event.
  • Options

What I’m actually saying is that no club of Charlton’s size has ever been relegated from the EFL and references to clubs that have been or are currently there as evidence of the danger are overblown. Anything can happen but it would not be a routine event.
    Agreed, but there is a very good chance we could end up in the 4th division, then who knows?
  • Options
    Rob said:
    We just need experienced journeymen that can do a job at L1 level - you don't need massive quality to stay up.
    We also need players who are interested and want to play as a team.

Or are we simply not good enough?
  • Options

First time for everything, Airman!
    Expecting Charlton to lead the way...
  • Options

Agreed, but there is a very good chance we could end up in the 4th division, then who knows?
    Just think of all those new grounds to visit for away matches!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeez, i know we're bad but relegation to the National league? Seriously?

That's another level of bad.
  • Options
    Half a season to go
  • Options
    I have posted this on here before.

I have friends who are ardent Southend FC supporters.
    Southend got relegated from League 1 in 2019, and dropped straight through League 2 in 2020, ending up in the National League.

The similarity’s between Southend in 2019 and us at the moment is alarmingly similar.

With all of the uncertainty currently going on, and the quality of the players we are currently playing with, I genuinely think that relegation is a real possibility this season.
  • Options

Are we "too big" to reach the National League?  Size has nothing to do with it (ooh er Matron!).

Unfortunately being incredibly shite has an awful lot to do with it ... and currently we have that in spades.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Although I am seriously disengaged/apathetic/livid/terrified (delete as appropriate depend on which day of the week it is) about all things Charlton at the moment, I have been writing this season off and contenting myself that there are four seriously garbage sides in the league who can’t buy a point between them and we probably have enough points in the bank already etc. However, I’m now seriously wondering. We all know the limitations of our squad but when you add in a total collapse of confidence/giving up the ghost anything can happen. I guess most of us had had jobs where things have got so bad that you’ve stopped giving a toss. This mob will surely get to that stage soon. Most of them know that a new broom (please please pretty please…..) will get shot of most of them. The more toxic it gets the less shits they will give. Having been an ST holder through most of the recent bad times I’m well used to crises. But this one feels different. The heart and soul is gradually being ripped out of the club and the reaction appears not to be anger/protests etc. It’s apathy and disillusionment with the odd bit of well intentioned pissing in the wind. I hate to say this, but unlesss things change massively and soon I think we’re screwed. 
  • Options
    We have five games in January and need a minimum of two wins to stop this decline.
    We need to stay in L1 as if we fall into L2 we will lose even more fans and become even less attractive as a club.
  • Options
    It’s a strong possibility on the 8 game winless run we are on and that’s not for the first time this season! Coupled with the imbalanced squad, reliance on inexperienced kids and a new manager who once again doesn’t have the players to suit his style of play, the odds are not stacked in our favour.

However trying to find some positives, we are only half way through the season 23 games to go and 69 points up for grabs. We need around 30 points to secure our current status I reckon which now depends very heavily on the transfer window. As Brownie and JP said last night it’s not fair relying on kids to bail you out in a relegation dogfight it’s old heads who have been there got the T shirt and done it that are needed in the trenches.

So something desperately needs to happen with the playing squad to give us a fighting chance and Mr Scott needs to pull some rabbits out of the hat pretty damned quick! 

Keep everything crossed fellow Addicks because as one well known poster used to say ‘it’s going to be a bumpy ride’ until the end of the season COYRs..
  • Options
    Anything is possible. Airman logically argues we are too big to fall into the National League, but you can only ever look one season at a time. Even up to a few weeks ago I thought we were too big to fall into L3, but you look at the current situation and see it’s an increasingly real possibility. 

Couple of wins will change the situation completely but there doesn’t look much guts in this squad to eek them out and can be out worked and out fought. Our best 11 I suspect is better than most but when do we ever have it fit? 

Last year we had the benefit of Jacko & Euell having the players respect and able to steer something respectable. No guarantee with Holden coming in he is going to get the same reaction. If Holden turns out a bad appointment, we are in serious trouble. 

The direction of travel at the moment should be raising huge alarm bells. It is with me
  • Options
    Suddenly the new Manager bounce doesn't apply to Charlton anymore! The curse continues.