Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are We Getting Relegated?

Comments

• Options
    Did not enjoy that at all last night, anxiety kicked in fearing the absolute worst, I was a bag of nerves,hope it’s not going to be like that for the rest of the season.

• Options
    I’d stick my neck out and say that last nights win makes us safe even if we don’t get another point (which we will anyway). The bottom six are truly shocking. 
  • Options
    We won’t go down.  

The interesting thing for me will be to see how well we do in the remaining 9.

The likes of Lee & Leko playing for a contract, based on their time here, can you really argue they’ve done enough?  I don’t think so.  

Then, depending on who we can bring in, some of the players that are contracted to 2023 like Gilbey need to show more and that they can be part of the first team next season.  
  • Options
    Looking at that table if we beat Morecambe we will have beaten the bottom 6 clubs. Apart from Cambridge in 15th, the only teams higher beaten at home were Ipswich and Plymouth.  Shows how poor we are really. 
  • Options
    As others have said we have never really been mathematically In a relegation battle however our performances for large parts of the season have been relegation  material. We are so lucky that there are some truly woeful teams this year
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    CH4RLTON said:
    As others have said we have never really been mathematically In a relegation battle however our performances for large parts of the season have been relegation  material. We are so lucky that there are some truly woeful teams this year
    We’ve got 43 points, in any season we’d nearly be safe with 9 games to go. Get 50 points or more and you should be safe.
  • Options
    Does look like we are going to lose one of our local matches next season with Wimbledon or Gillingham be relegating. From a travelling distance hoping it will be Fleetwood but think they will just stay up.

Have to hope Reading come down to keep the travelling distance down.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    We won’t go down.  

The likes of Lee & Leko playing for a contract, based on their time here, can you really argue they’ve done enough?  I don’t think so.  

Then, depending on who we can bring in, some of the players that are contracted to 2023 like Gilbey need to show more and that they can be part of the first team next season.  
    There’s definite signs of improvement with Stockley, Washington and CBT back. Fraser I hope will improve, post covid recovery. Lavelle is looking solid enough, Clare was good last night. 
    Lee and Leko sadly haven’t done enough, although the latter has been played out of position.
    If Gilbey could maintain the standard he rose to last night then he’d be an asset. 
    Had we lost last night I’d be feeling very different for sure. 
    They really need to improve their shooting though. To many shots scuffed along the ground. 
  • Options
    We’ll be fine after last nights win 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, if the other teams down there are of a similar/worse standard than Gillingham we should be fine. Thought they were woeful! That was a massive win.
  • Options
    Crewe, Doncaster and Gillingham the worse 3 league sides seen down at the Valley this season. No wonder they are all in the bottom 4
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Crewe, Doncaster and Gillingham the worse 3 league sides seen down at the Valley this season. No wonder they are all in the bottom 4
    Agreed. And those nine points from the three wins totals more than 20% of our entire season's points. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    We won’t go down.  

There’s definite signs of improvement with Stockley, Washington and CBT back. Fraser I hope will improve, post covid recovery. Lavelle is looking solid enough, Clare was good last night. 
    Lee and Leko sadly haven’t done enough, although the latter has been played out of position.
    If Gilbey could maintain the standard he rose to last night then he’d be an asset. 
    They really need to improve their shooting though. To many shots scuffed along the ground. 
    We certainly look better with Stockley, Washington and CBT in.  

I’m not convinced re: Gilbey.  3 goals this season and 1 of them in the Papa John’s.  I think he is shone in a kind light simply because of the dross around him and how poor we’ve been.  

Fraser will be a great signing.  Looks like a natural footballer.  We want to get him and Dobson in the heart of that midfield and one other if 3-5-2 is Jackson’s preferred formation.

The challenge with most of these players is I don’t think/not confident that they are promotion material for various reasons.  Even with Stockley et al last night, it was still a scrape of a game.  There’s not any other players coming back that you would think are going to elevate us much further.  
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    We won’t go down.  

We certainly look better with Stockley, Washington and CBT in.  

I’m not convinced re: Gilbey.  3 goals this season and 1 of them in the Papa John’s.  I think he is shone in a kind light simply because of the dross around him and how poor we’ve been.  

Fraser will be a great signing.  Looks like a natural footballer.  We want to get him and Dobson in the heart of that midfield and one other if 3-5-2 is Jackson’s preferred formation.

The challenge with most of these players is I don’t think/not confident that they are promotion material for various reasons.  Even with Stockley et al last night, it was still a scrape of a game.  There’s not any other players coming back that you would think are going to elevate us much further.  
    We have got a lot of players, especially captain fairweather and the rest of the pudding gang, who look good when the team is playing well.

When we play well, we normally win.  When we don't we don't.  That's been true since the start of last season.  It's never one player that has a western super that undoes all the others hard work.

Can anyone think of a game in the last 2 seasons we won a game we shouldn't, or lost a game we deserved to win?  80 odd games is a big sample size.

• Options
    We're never safe, as our last Championship season taught us. When lockdown ended we were 22nd on 39 points with Luton on 35 and Barnsley on 34. Hull were in freefall (41) at that point and looked like they'd fall in, but Wigan (41) were looking good again. Middlesbrough (41), Huddersfield (42) and Stoke (42) didn't have many points but would have needed a collapse given the players at their disposal. We went into the restart looking at that table thinking we needed Hull to continue to be terrible and for us to just do better than them. After the first match we were 19th, Hull had fallen in and things were looking alright. One thing was for sure though, and that was Barnsley and Luton had too much to do. Barnsley had been in the relegation zone since September and had never been out (until the last pissing day, thanks Brentford) and Luton were punching. It was all a bit skewed by Wigan's points deduction, as in the end Barnsley didn't actually get enough points to survive without Wigan's owners torpedoing themselves, but I remember reading repeatedly on here as another match passed that Luton or Barnsley were 'gone'. Barnsley actually were gone until injury time of both their last two games. On the last day we needed two of Wigan (v Fulham, 4th), Luton (v Blackburn, 10th) and Barnsley (v Brentford, 3rd) to not win. Unless we won in which case they could do what they wanted. We didn't win. Wigan lost to Fulham, like normal people, and then Luton beat Blackburn 3-2 off the back of two own goals and a penalty, and Barnsley beat Brentford in the final seconds of their match. Brentford actually would have gone up automatically if they'd won, so it's not like they didn't have anything to play for! Brentford at least had the decency to lose the Play-Offs afterwards. After that set of results I decided I would never assume anything about relegation ever again. We're down until we're mathematically not, and even then I'm not convinced.
    Golfie Jnr now hates Barnsley for that reason. With 2 games to go Barnsley were gone. Out. Relegated. Then they won their penultimate game with a last minute goal & on the last day scored an offside goal, again in the last minute. 6 points in 2 games. After 90 mins in both they were drawing. Nothinguis certain until the final whistle blows.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
     Would also agree with this.

unfortunately, on a number of occasions we have been the fourth worst. 
  • Options
    We're never safe, as our last Championship season taught us. When lockdown ended we were 22nd on 39 points with Luton on 35 and Barnsley on 34. Hull were in freefall (41) at that point and looked like they'd fall in, but Wigan (41) were looking good again. Middlesbrough (41), Huddersfield (42) and Stoke (42) didn't have many points but would have needed a collapse given the players at their disposal. We went into the restart looking at that table thinking we needed Hull to continue to be terrible and for us to just do better than them. After the first match we were 19th, Hull had fallen in and things were looking alright. One thing was for sure though, and that was Barnsley and Luton had too much to do. Barnsley had been in the relegation zone since September and had never been out (until the last pissing day, thanks Brentford) and Luton were punching. It was all a bit skewed by Wigan's points deduction, as in the end Barnsley didn't actually get enough points to survive without Wigan's owners torpedoing themselves, but I remember reading repeatedly on here as another match passed that Luton or Barnsley were 'gone'. Barnsley actually were gone until injury time of both their last two games. On the last day we needed two of Wigan (v Fulham, 4th), Luton (v Blackburn, 10th) and Barnsley (v Brentford, 3rd) to not win. Unless we won in which case they could do what they wanted. We didn't win. Wigan lost to Fulham, like normal people, and then Luton beat Blackburn 3-2 off the back of two own goals and a penalty, and Barnsley beat Brentford in the final seconds of their match. Brentford actually would have gone up automatically if they'd won, so it's not like they didn't have anything to play for! Brentford at least had the decency to lose the Play-Offs afterwards. After that set of results I decided I would never assume anything about relegation ever again. We're down until we're mathematically not, and even then I'm not convinced.
    Golfie Jnr now hates Barnsley for that reason. With 2 games to go Barnsley were gone. Out. Relegated. Then they won their penultimate game with a last minute goal & on the last day scored an offside goal, again in the last minute. 6 points in 2 games. After 90 mins in both they were drawing. Nothinguis certain until the final whistle blows.
    I can't hate Barnsley. I've got a Barnsley mate who's been to The Valley to support Charlton more over the past few years than he's been to Oakwell and in the end I don't begrudge them winning games. It's the piss merchants who let them do it that I'm raging about still. Forest and Brentford? Forest who would have made the Play-Offs with a draw and Brentford who would have gone up automatically if they'd won? Burn them all.
  • Options
    Can finally close this thread after yesterday win. Comparing the points total from last season to this season shows how poor the bottom sides are. Needed 47 points last season, looks like 40 could be the number this season.
  • Options
    Less than 1% chance of relegation. Less than 1% chance of promotion.

On the beach in March.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Broken clock and all that, but it ain’t looking good at the moment.

Another ballsed up season, too much going on, on and off the pitch, please someone cheer me up!
  • Options
    Gillingham went down last season after finishing in the fourth relegation spot on goal difference. Now look at them. If it goes on like this then we’re down and God help us. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I still reckon there’s four seriously terrible teams in the division that will out-awful us. That being said, my faith in my theory is diminishing quickly…
    I have been saying this up until 3 weeks ago. I think we're done for.
  • Options
    I was saying back in October on the Post Match threads that, make no mistake, we're in a relegation fight. And we are. We just don't have the players. Serious work needed in this window and I'm sure that's why this lot have been brought in. But, is it too much? After today I wonder.
  • Options
    Keep playing like this and we'll manage relegation with ease. A spineless team and a fairly clueless manager with an owner who has given up.

Disorganised from top to bottom and all a bit depressing...

• Options
    The most amazing thing for me about our position is that we only have a minus one goal difference. For a side that struggles to score in most games (19 goals in 5 matches but 14 in the other 18) and can't keep a clean sheet that doesn't seem right!
  • Options
    Need a proper transfer window or we are down.  14/1 tempting but I am pinning my unrealistic  hopes on the transfer window.
  • Options
    90% nailed on we will go down this season.

10% chance we won’t if club is sold to a sensible owner so that we can start fixing the squad.

Everything I am reading is that our squad will get worse in January.