Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jeff Stelling to leave Soccer Saturday at the end of this season

Comments

• Options
    Has he been cancelled or leaving on his own accord?
    Not cancelled. It's his decision.
    And he said he's not retiring. So if Minto ever decides to bugger off........
    Interesting. Somethings obviously jarred him off, if it is in fact his decision. Not buying the whole want to let someone else have a go line.
    Watching it last Saturday I got the feeling that something wasn't quite right with him. Stumbled over a number of words & not his usual fluent self. Hope there isnt any more to it than Jeff wanting to "take things easy" from now on but my 6th sense says there is (sadly) more to it. 
  • Options
    Would be highly surprised if it doesn’t go to Julian Warren. Perhaps Bianca Westwood is a good option if they want a female host.
  • Options
    Got a feeling he already has something lined up.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    The guy that does the midweek scores is brilliant and a ready replacement.

Geoff is a massive part of my growing up watching football just like someone like Motson. Absolute legend.
    Julian Walters, yeah he 100% deserves to get it
    I think you mean Julian Warren.
  • Options
    Julian Warren will 100% get it - Jeff is an absolute legend.

whatever people think of the programme or the people on it, it’s still the ‘go to’ programme if you are at home and want to know the latest scores. The format will continue for a long while yet. 
  • Options
    siblers said:

Geoff is a massive part of my growing up watching football just like someone like Motson. Absolute legend.
    Julian Walters, yeah he 100% deserves to get it
    I think you mean Julian Warren.
    Yeah, as Julian Walters was in Educating Rita  ;)
  • Options
    Would make sense to promote Warren into the Saturday slot.

They can then replace him in midweek with someone new to learn the ropes.

Wouldnt surprise me if SKY didnt do that though.
  • Options
    Would make sense to promote Warren into the Saturday slot.

They can then replace him in midweek with someone new to learn the ropes.

Wouldnt surprise me if SKY didnt do that though.
    Natural progression mate just like you and Sage, thing is who’s he got lined up 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As long as the presenter knows what they're doing, i don't think many people would really care who it was.

I just hope Sky don't feel they must go all out to fill some kind of quota, as per that alleged email that was leaked back when Le Tissier and his gang were sacked.

Realistically Warren should be getting the job.
  • Options
    Has to be a promotion to Saturday for Jules surely, he’s no Stelling, but who is?  
  • Options
    A real shame, think he’s great and his dad jokes with goal scorer’s names crack me up. A very hard act to follow. 
    Some of the jokes he does with players names do make me chuckle

Way back i remember whenever Adam Stansfield scored, Jeff would say 'Lisa will be pleased'.

• Options
    A real shame, think he’s great and his dad jokes with goal scorer’s names crack me up. A very hard act to follow. 
    Some of the jokes he does with players names do make me chuckle

Way back i remember whenever Adam Stansfield scored, Jeff would say 'Lisa will be pleased'.

Kenny Deuchar who used to score about 40 a season for Gretna and was also a doctor, was always The Good Doctor.
  • Options

that was my first but couldn't think of his name.  I think he will do a good job. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    In any kind of live TV or entertainment product, the best content always comes from those people who you can tell just absolutely love what they are doing. And Jeff Stelling is the epitome of that. 
    Jeff's book is a good one as well talking about the show... Apparently would go work at Winchester Services at times so he could research various bits of information in the local news so he was prepped if something happened in that game.

Doesnt feel like it was ever a case of simply turning up and reading off the teleprompter, which Im sure a few ignorants on Social Media will think it was nothing more than. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Carter said:
    I love him, although too often when he says "and the deadlocks been broken at the Valley, but by who? Over to Chris Kamara" 

"Yeah and its the visitors who take the lead Jeff" oh ffs 

I've got a story about Jeff Stelling, I was on my way to buy some LED disco lights when I was still in the mobile disco game and saw him at South Mimms, now this wasn't entirely shocking as I'd hear him mention in am interview thats where he goes to do all his research for the Saturday. My mate I was with got a nudge in the ribs as we were queuing up for some motorway service station slop and I said look, thats Jeff Stelling, from soccer Saturday and countdown, shall we go and say hello. My mate looked over and said to me I'd lost my marbles as it didn't look anything like him (it was 100% Jeff Stelling) so I had another look and by this time he had probably clocked me and was either preparing himself to smile through gritted teeth or tensing himself up st the prospect of a couple of muppets distracting him. 

I decided to go for it and took him over a coffee and a kitkat as a gesture of goodwill and said hello, didn't want to disturb him but "I love your jokes and knowledge of the game Jeff" and he couldn't have been nicer and laughed his head off and thanked me for the sustenance (no sugar in coffee for Jeff) he asked who I supported, told him Charlton and he asked if I was going to the game at the weekend, told him yes I definitely was. And he said to keep an eye on the young Portuguese kid united had just signed as between me and him could well be the real deal if he can handle getting kicked. I thanked him, he also gave me a nap to back someone like Leicester that weekend which I followed and won. 

Good man Jeff Stelling
    Who was the young Portuguese kid? 

Did he go on to make a name for himself?
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Carter said:
    I love him, although too often when he says "and the deadlocks been broken at the Valley, but by who? Over to Chris Kamara" 

"Yeah and its the visitors who take the lead Jeff" oh ffs 

I've got a story about Jeff Stelling, I was on my way to buy some LED disco lights when I was still in the mobile disco game and saw him at South Mimms, now this wasn't entirely shocking as I'd hear him mention in am interview thats where he goes to do all his research for the Saturday. My mate I was with got a nudge in the ribs as we were queuing up for some motorway service station slop and I said look, thats Jeff Stelling, from soccer Saturday and countdown, shall we go and say hello. My mate looked over and said to me I'd lost my marbles as it didn't look anything like him (it was 100% Jeff Stelling) so I had another look and by this time he had probably clocked me and was either preparing himself to smile through gritted teeth or tensing himself up st the prospect of a couple of muppets distracting him. 

I decided to go for it and took him over a coffee and a kitkat as a gesture of goodwill and said hello, didn't want to disturb him but "I love your jokes and knowledge of the game Jeff" and he couldn't have been nicer and laughed his head off and thanked me for the sustenance (no sugar in coffee for Jeff) he asked who I supported, told him Charlton and he asked if I was going to the game at the weekend, told him yes I definitely was. And he said to keep an eye on the young Portuguese kid united had just signed as between me and him could well be the real deal if he can handle getting kicked. I thanked him, he also gave me a nap to back someone like Leicester that weekend which I followed and won. 

Good man Jeff Stelling
    Who was the young Portuguese kid? 

Did he go on to make a name for himself?
    Nani
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    And hopefully they don’t use any PL club supporting / connected numpty and end up blanking the rest of football
  • Options
    Carter said:

I've got a story about Jeff Stelling, I was on my way to buy some LED disco lights when I was still in the mobile disco game and saw him at South Mimms, now this wasn't entirely shocking as I'd hear him mention in am interview thats where he goes to do all his research for the Saturday. 

cafctom said:
    In any kind of live TV or entertainment product, the best content always comes from those people who you can tell just absolutely love what they are doing. And Jeff Stelling is the epitome of that. 
    Jeff's book is a good one as well talking about the show... Apparently would go work at Winchester Services at times so he could research various bits of information in the local news so he was prepped if something happened in that game.

Hang on, what? He used to go to motorway service stations to do research? How did that work? I can think of far better places to go.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Carter said:

I've got a story about Jeff Stelling, I was on my way to buy some LED disco lights when I was still in the mobile disco game and saw him at South Mimms, now this wasn't entirely shocking as I'd hear him mention in am interview thats where he goes to do all his research for the Saturday. 

cafctom said:

Hang on, what? He used to go to motorway service stations to do research? How did that work? I can think of far better places to go.

In his autobiography he said it was more peaceful than being at home with his family
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Off_it said:
    Carter said:

cafctom said:

In his autobiography he said it was more peaceful than being at home with his family
    What, just sitting at a service station all day? Wow, that seems a bit .....odd.