Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jeff Stelling to leave Soccer Saturday at the end of this season

Comments

• Options
    Alex Scott?
    If she's not prime minister by then of course.
    The queens feeling a bit under the weather!
  • Options
    Saw a documentary following Jeff for a day. I literally don't know how he does it. He has multiple conversations going on in his ear piece, multiple screens in front of him, conversations with the pundits and talking to camera. 

Made my head hurt just watching it.
    Do you know where to find it?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Bianca Westwood if they want to have a woman presenter 

Would ya ?

(it’s a yes from me BTW)
    All day long, but prefer Laura Woods.
    Never got the hype around her.  She’s a bit ‘look at me’ if you ever see any of her tweets about nights out etc.  
    Got no problem with that to be fair, she's worth looking at ;)
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    More like he should be in an institution.  I always found him irritating 🙄 
    To be fair, you should know.
     That is a pathetic argument.  I never really  connected with this bloke and if you like him I know I was correct. 
    Nope. I still have no idea what the hell you are going on about old son.
  • Options
    Personally I’ve not really ‘watched’ it since they ditched the regular panel of Le Tiss, Thommo and Nicholas. It was like a group of football fellas meeting up for a Sunday drink, there appeared a real connection between them all and the banter was natural and great.

it’s still on now but I’m only really following the scores rather than any of the chat. Can’t really take to some of them and there’s no real bond between them. 
    I'm surprised so many people still watch it.

Different back in the 90s, early 2000s when we'd happily sit in front of the box in the social club on a Saturday afternoon with a pint of coke.  There was no other way to follow a performance, other than the radio or of course being there.

You can literally watch any game you want on a stream and there are hundreds of apps, betting or otherwise to get near instantaneous score updates.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I hope Garth Crooks gets it. He's brilliant. 
    He has the personality for it.
  • Options
    Saw a documentary following Jeff for a day. I literally don't know how he does it. He has multiple conversations going on in his ear piece, multiple screens in front of him, conversations with the pundits and talking to camera. 

Anybody know if this is still on sky? Can't find it

• Options

Anybody know if this is still on sky? Can't find it

found one about Jeff Stelling, the world famous banjo maker from Afton Virginia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't find it when I looked earlier. It was probably just an extended feature with a normal sky sports broadcast, so unlikely to be available in isolation.
  • Options
    Think they should keep a presenter like Julian Warren who is able to host and fill in when games are a bit dull. 

But please please start hiring people with intellect that actually know what they're watching and give us updates with the correct names and passage of play. 

Getting 'names' like Merson etc. etc. that can't commentate to save their lives has stopped me watching it for the past 3/4 years. 
    The dependence on using former players is annoying and really dumbs down football coverage in this country. I would rather have a proper journalist in that role. Playing football and being able to articulate what’s happening in a football match (or in the sport more generally) are different skills entirely and the vast, vast majority of former players are not very good at the latter.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Think they should keep a presenter like Julian Warren who is able to host and fill in when games are a bit dull. 

But please please start hiring people with intellect that actually know what they're watching and give us updates with the correct names and passage of play. 

Getting 'names' like Merson etc. etc. that can't commentate to save their lives has stopped me watching it for the past 3/4 years. 
    The dependence on using former players is annoying and really dumbs down football coverage in this country. I would rather have a proper journalist in that role. Playing football and being able to articulate what’s happening in a football match (or in the sport more generally) are different skills entirely and the vast, vast majority of former players are not very good at the latter.
    Tim Sherwood is terrible when they go to him for live updates, the silence is cringe making.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    se9addick said:

Must have been an international weekend so Paul Merson was covering our game at Exeter.

Stelling asks 'what's happening Paul'?

Merson replied 'Number 4 passed it to number 7 who crossed the ball and number 9 headed it'.

Couldn't even learn the players name.

• Options
    iaitch said:
    se9addick said:

Must have been an international weekend so Paul Merson was covering our game at Exeter.

Stelling asks 'what's happening Paul'?

Merson replied 'Number 4 passed it to number 7 who crossed the ball and number 9 headed it'.

Couldn't even learn the players name.

Give the man some credit.

He'd learned his numbers up to 10.
  • Options
    I still watch if I'm at home. Midweek is good as they show all the goals.  Good way to follow the scores and Stelling's obscure references are brilliant.

The way people go on about Le Tiss, Nicholas, Thompson you'd think they always been on but there were plenty before them. George Best, Frank McClintock, Rodney Marsh for three.

Things change, people retire or are let go, Valarie Singleton doesn't present Blue Peter anymore and Sylvester McCoy isn't, thankfully, Dr Who.  

Hope I die before I get old.
  • Options
    I still watch if I'm at home. Midweek is good as they show all the goals.  Good way to follow the scores and Stelling's obscure references are brilliant.

The way people go on about Le Tiss, Nicholas, Thompson you'd think they always been on but there were plenty before them. George Best, Frank McClintock, Rodney Marsh for three.

Things change, people retire or are let go, Valarie Singleton doesn't present Blue Peter anymore and Sylvester McCoy isn't, thankfully, Dr Who.  

The difference is that the people you have named weren’t binned in order to tick a few boxes and be replaced by inadequate people. 
    Stelling remarked afterwards that he wasn’t happy with what happened.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

The difference is that the people you have named weren’t binned in order to tick a few boxes and be replaced by inadequate people. 
    Were they binned to "tick a few boxes" or is that another victim myth?

"oh dear, us poor oppressed white men don't have single every job so anyone who isn't us only gets the job because of do-gooders/PC/Woke/cultural marxism/whatever the word is this week"

Presenters change all the time, people retire or move jobs all the time.  It isn't always a conspiracy, it's just business.

• Options

And Best, Frank & Marsh we’re binned for Le Tiss, Champagne Charlie & Thompson.
    As Henners says, you got to move with the times.

I watch it, whilst my Bruv, Stubbers & Browny are in one ear. Out of all of them, the one I will happily hope to never see again is Alan McAnally (don’t know if I’ve spelt it right, don’t care). He is a complete knob.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Tim Sherwood is terrible...
    You could have just left it at that in all honesty.
    And just to think, Daniel Levy employed him as First Team Coach at Spurs.  How did that actually happen?!
  • Options
    How about Scot Minto?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Carter said:
    For absolute top end experts of the game outside of the Premier league we have a treat tonight. Ali Maxwell is the guest with Curbs and Scott Minto in the studio tonight. Him and his wingman George Elek also do sky and the show on quest, which is a shocking indictment of the lack of knowledge in the media of the footballing pyramid. Two young lads who properly know their shit. 

He will break down and analyse the game in a way similar to how Bielsa held Frank Lampard upside down and shook the knowledge of his Derby team out and showed Frankie that Bielsa knows more about his players than he did. It will blow your mind 
    I'm guessing he's a Charlton fan as well judging by the top that he's got on in this video.

• Options
    Sylvester McCoy isn't, thankfully, Dr Who.  

Philistine.

Best. Assistant. EVER......... o:)
  • Options

And Best, Frank & Marsh we’re binned for Le Tiss, Champagne Charlie & Thompson.
    As Henners says, you got to move with the times.

I watch it, whilst my Bruv, Stubbers & Browny are in one ear. Out of all of them, the one I will happily hope to never see again is Alan McAnally (don’t know if I’ve spelt it right, don’t care). He is a complete knob.
    I’m pretty sure they weren’t binned en masse. Marsh was sacked for inappropriate remarks and Best became ill.  Their replacements, unlike the current lot, could string a sentence together as well as having a bit of banter. As could others in the past - Walsh, Mullery for example.
    If moving with the times mean sacking a group of people for no reason when they’re doing a good job and replacing them with dross, it doesn’t make it a good move.
  • Options
    Twins probably, sisters…I’m just watching.

Haven’t a clue who should replace JS
  • Options
    West2003 said:
    Carter said:
    For absolute top end experts of the game outside of the Premier league we have a treat tonight. Ali Maxwell is the guest with Curbs and Scott Minto in the studio tonight. Him and his wingman George Elek also do sky and the show on quest, which is a shocking indictment of the lack of knowledge in the media of the footballing pyramid. Two young lads who properly know their shit. 

He will break down and analyse the game in a way similar to how Bielsa held Frank Lampard upside down and shook the knowledge of his Derby team out and showed Frankie that Bielsa knows more about his players than he did. It will blow your mind 
    I'm guessing he's a Charlton fan as well judging by the top that he's got on in this video.

Plus the name of the podcast
  • Options
    The best way to watch the programme is with the sound off and Radio 5 on. That way you get the atmosphere of the live game on the radio and the score updates on screen. 

The yardstick for me with TV pundits and co-commentators on Live matches is, am I interested in what they have to say? A bit of insight is what I'm looking for, rather than guesswork, cliches and jargon. Unfortunately the trend for TV stations is for the latter at the moment. Sky Soccer Saturday is now full of pundits with nothing to say.